Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]

Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Did this kit come with the capacitor that is supposed to stop the dash light from coming on? Kit Fox shows a monster unit that he never used and he never ahd a light come on. Another responder said his was a much smaller and neater capacitor. I do not like the Kit Fox capacitor it is too big.
Basically what size is your capacitor?
'180,

check the photos of my install:

This is my guy:

http://stores.ebay.com/HID-Outdoor-E...sxQ3asstQQtZkm

Last edited by maxcichon; 01-15-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did this kit come with the capacitor that is supposed to stop the dash light from coming on? Kit Fox shows a monster unit that he never used and he never ahd a light come on. Another responder said his was a much smaller and neater capacitor. I do not like the Kit Fox capacitor it is too big.
Basically what size is your capacitor?
the kit i received had no inline capacitor and i have no light out indicator on my dash. i do not know if it's build in or just doesn't have one. it seemed there was a problem with this with the 1st kits folks were buying but then the problem seemed to go away. the responder that asked what the harness was for i believe did not use it and did not have the light out indicator either.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by eruby
the kit i received had no inline capacitor and i have no light out indicator on my dash. i do not know if it's build in or just doesn't have one. it seemed there was a problem with this with the 1st kits folks were buying but then the problem seemed to go away. the responder that asked what the harness was for i believe did not use it and did not have the light out indicator either.
Thanks for the reply, now I just have to get me a set. I just wanted a nice clean looking installation.

Edit
I found this site which puts a different spin on the HID setup.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-16-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Forum Regular

I found this site which puts a different spin on the HID setup.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
i've kinda been waiting on responses from this post. i read this link and was wondering about our decision in converting to HID. OK, I believe the H7 filament is longitudinal as is the HID arc capsule and i can see why HID would not work with bulbs the have transverse filament. as for me, it 'appears' the HID works better. has anyone had their lights tested since the swap? i see my ebay kit has the shadow from the post directly down and someone mentioned that higher priced kits have this shadow horizontal but I think I personally prefer the shadow downward. i'm not switching back but i would like to know if i see an optical illusion or if i do have brighter light.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 AM

Well, in my opinion the light is much brighter, and I've observed that it is not an issue to oncoming traffic. (I drove my Tahoe toward my parked car from 1/4 mile away and saw no issues). I can definitly see where retrofitting an HID system in a reflector housing can cause problems for oncoming traffic. I see it every night when I see arc-blue lights installed in a 8 year old Accord (or a 10 year old Mustang!). They are not only annoying, but dangerous to boot. I also fine-tuned the height adjustment using a warehouse wall from 200 yards away to make sure I wasn't blinding folks. Fresh concrete parking lot and I could see the light pattern very nicely. I walked it. D. Sterns brings up very valid points, but I won't go back.

And no, I have not had them "tested". I doubt it can be done in Alabama.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Well, in my opinion the light is much brighter, and I've observed that it is not an issue to oncoming traffic. (I drove my Tahoe toward my parked car from 1/4 mile away and saw no issues). I can definitly see where retrofitting an HID system in a reflector housing can cause problems for oncoming traffic. I see it every night when I see arc-blue lights installed in a 8 year old Accord (or a 10 year old Mustang!). They are not only annoying, but dangerous to boot. I also fine-tuned the height adjustment using a warehouse wall from 200 yards away to make sure I wasn't blinding folks. Fresh concrete parking lot and I could see the light pattern very nicely. I walked it. D. Sterns brings up very valid points, but I won't go back.

And no, I have not had them "tested". I doubt it can be done in Alabama.
If I recall right, that link shows that HID's put into reflector housings.. sure ours aren't SPECIFICALLY tuned / cut off for HID's.. btu they are 100000000000x then reflectors.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by nox1s
If I recall right, that link shows that HID's put into reflector housings.. sure ours aren't SPECIFICALLY tuned / cut off for HID's.. btu they are 100000000000x then reflectors.
It looks like I can say that HID's are not a problem in our projector lamp housings, I can see that plain old reflectors would be as they throw light everywhere, wasting light on the tree tops and the sky.
I would hate to have people flashing me if the lights were annoying to oncoming drivers, one of them might be a cop.

I believe that the bluer lights would be more of a giveaway for the modification.

So 4300K will be just fine for me. Now to select the brand to buy, $50 and up gives a big choice, but around $100 should be a little better quality hopefully, but who knows. Lots of info on this thread so ignorance cannot be an excuse for poor decisions.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 AM

I bought a $70 Xentech set off ebay and I was a little hesitent at the low cost. I could not be more happy with them. I know some guys here would give me some crap, but I went with 10K bulbs and they look AWESEOME. They are not crazy blue, I would say a small shade more blue than the most blue factory HIDs I see on the road, really sharp on the triple black XF.

I will try to snap some photos of them at night so you guys can see. Also, I will try to include some pics on my install. I hid the ballasts underneath the cross member that is directly above the headlight housings, it looks good, I only drilled one 1/4 inch hole and it keeps them out of the way.

Pics to come, there is several inches of snow on the way to Indy, so it might be a few days....

Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM

The pictures in this thread really made changing my bulbs easier today, thanks man.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM

I was just going to hit the `confirm' button on a HID kit on ebay when I saw that the shipping price had jumped from $5 to $35 with no option to get back to the lower price. By the time I had sorted out the problem with the seller the time ran out on the listing.

The new listings for the same item had jacked the price up by $11.99, from $68 to $79.99 with a now $10 advertised shipping cost and no change to the $35 hidden shipping cost. They looked like a nice set with the slim starter unit. I was a little put of by the whole deal and I have not purchased them yet. Thats a jump of $16.99 and the economy has not improved.

Be careful to read all the screens before you hit buy, some of these sellers make most of their profit on the shipping and handling charges. This is especially true on the really low priced items.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-27-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would have gotten the slim ballasts, they're about the size of credit cards and you can mount them virtually anywhere

Old 06-12-2009, 02:29 AM

I was just going to hit the `confirm' button on a HID kit on ebay when I saw that the shipping price had jumped from $5 to $35 with no option to get back to the lower price. By the time I had sorted out the problem with the seller the time ran out on the listing.

The new listings for the same item had jacked the price up by $11.99, from $68 to $79.99 with a now $10 advertised shipping cost and no change to the $35 hidden shipping cost. They looked like a nice set with the slim starter unit. I was a little put of by the whole deal and I have not purchased them yet. Thats a jump of $16.99 and the economy has not improved.

Be careful to read all the screens before you hit buy, some of these sellers make most of their profit on the shipping and handling charges. This is especially true on the really low priced items.
To be honest, with all of these eBay kits, they're all the same but with different branding. When you start getting named brand Philips, McCullouch, ETC is where it matters.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 AM

I found a guy local to me that supplies 35w siemens kits at a very very very good price, slim ballasts as well.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Forum Regular

I need to know if I need to purchase a 'HID Canceler kit"? I'm buying some McCulloch 5300 right now and the website is sugesting i spend another $50 on the kit so my car does'nt say my bulbs are out...? any help is awesome

Old 07-02-2009, 05:43 PM

If it were my $50, I would buy just the kits. And if you need the cancellers, buy them later.

But that's just me. I only spent $60 on the HID's. Don't ask me!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Forum Regular

Yea. I bought just the kit. Went with McCulloch cause they are top of the line. Didnt want to deal with the shisty Ebay cats...

Originally Posted by maxcichon
If it were my $50, I would buy just the kits. And if you need the cancellers, buy them later.

But that's just me. I only spent $60 on the HID's. Don't ask me!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought from hidgate and they came with electronics to prevent the bulb out light from coming on.
XENON HID Kit H1 H3 H4 H7 H11 H13 9004 9005 9006 9007:eBay Motors (item 390030252025 end time Jul-09-09 21:08:32 PDT)

Old 08-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recommend buying from hidgate...When I bought mine I accidentally bought two and after a phone call with the guy he gladly refunded me for the extra set! But I never had the most reliable success with these HID kits. I strongly recommend 5000k or lower as they truly help you see better. When I went from 6500k to 5000k, the improvement in visiblity was tremendous. Moreover, the hid's looked completely stock. No officer could tell they were not factory! And, the 5000k kit I bough from hidgate did not make the "lightbulb out dash indicator" turn on like my 6500k kit.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM

I ordered spare bulbs from HIDGATE once and he was an *** to me! They sent me the wrong ones.. I ordered 4300k and they were labeled 4300k, but they were more like 3000k. They were seriously golden **** yellow. Showed pictures and everything.. he wouldn't do anything about it!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 PM

I need to purchase the H-7 light bulb harness for the low beam. Does anyone have a part number.

Quick Reply: HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]