Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]

Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]

I have 8000K and they are silver blueish. Suppeerrrrr!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Forum Regular

This should be stickied!

Done my today 6000K:

Running cables from light to ballast required a hole:

Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Forum Regular

Drivers side placement:

Passenger side placement:
slightly messy but to be fixed.:

Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Forum Regular

Now for the life of me this one left over thing stayed and I can't figure out what its for. Its mentioned nowhere in the instructions or in anyones write ups. It looks like its transistors or resitors or capacitors that should go in between the OEM cables going to the ballast, I just connected mine directly.

When I first turned on the lights I saw them shine on and then go dim, I thought they blew already, apparently HIDs kinda warm up at first. But I love the look!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

I noticed that the ballast(?) that has shrink tube on it has openings at each end. Electronic components are visible, these will get wet I imagine and thats not too good is it.

I know they will be behind the light housing but that area does see water spray, my garage queen gets quite wet there. Could you tell us the brand these HID's are please?

Just a thought.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I noticed that the ballast(?) that has shrink tube on it has openings at each end. Electronic components are visible, these will get wet I imagine and thats not too good is it.

I know they will be behind the light housing but that area does see water spray, my garage queen gets quite wet there. Could you tell us the brand these HID's are please?

Just a thought.

The plugs have waterproof seals on them.. I have shot mien with water blasters when cleaning the engine bay at the quarter machines... over like 8 months on mine and no problems here..

Old 01-11-2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by nox1s
The plugs have waterproof seals on them.. I have shot mien with water blasters when cleaning the engine bay at the quarter machines... over like 8 months on mine and no problems here..
I am not talking about the plugs, between the plugs at each end there is a black object with shrink tube around it. What looks like a small circuit board is poking out the end. This part is not seen in the pictures originally posted at the start of this thread, I assumed that it is the ballast people mention. I do not know any thing about HID's and was interested in getting them and so I wondered what the heck that part was and if it was safe to get it wet, which I doubted.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kit Fox
Now for the life of me this one left over thing stayed and I can't figure out what its for. Its mentioned nowhere in the instructions or in anyones write ups. It looks like its transistors or resitors or capacitors that should go in between the OEM cables going to the ballast, I just connected mine directly.

When I first turned on the lights I saw them shine on and then go dim, I thought they blew already, apparently HIDs kinda warm up at first. But I love the look!
That would be the electronics to prevent "Bulb Out" indication. The ones on mine is much smaller, and looks to consist of a capacitor only. If you can do the install without it, and the bulb out indicator stays happy (dark) more power to you!

It never occured to me NOT to use the in-line harness. I just put it together as delivered.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Forum Regular

It never occured to me NOT to use the in-line harness. I just put it together as delivered.
Which thing is that? But ya, no bulb out indicator came on the dash so I assume its all good.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Forum Regular

So I assume its normal for them to shine on, then go dim and then go to proper operating level slowly?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Forum Regular

remove installed light, and try to get a shop vac in there somehow. chris

Originally Posted by eruby
ok, i went ahead and cut the original rubber caps and now have the gromment tightly attached and the original caps back installed. they did not stay on with the wires out the side.

now, any idea how to get the bulb out of the light??? it's probably only about 1" long and i've seen no signs of it interferring with the light but i don't like it being in there. any ideas folks???

Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So I assume its normal for them to shine on, then go dim and then go to proper operating level slowly?
Yep, mine do the same thing. My neighbors BMW does that even more!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bluezx14
excellent idea.. thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 AM

ok done. i installed my christmas hid's yesterday. took me less than an hour to do both. based on driving last nite, i seated them correctly the 1st time. my kit came with a small mounting bolt, nut, washer and lock washer. the nut fit perfectly on the stud not used on the drivers side. perfect mounting location. on the passenger side, after removing the tank, i saw another stud that actually held a hose clamp. the stud stuck up far enough where i could use it as well. i didn't take pics because i thought there were enough great shots on this topic. thanks all for the writeups.

2 issues:

1) while trying to remove the connector on the passenger side (what a ***** that was), i was actually moving the bulb under the clip and somehow broke the bulb off the base and now the old bulb is INSIDE the light. any ideas how to get that out? it doesn't seem to interfere with lighting but i don't think i like it bouncing around in there.

2) the original rubber cap that goes on the back of the light. i followed the directions that did not cut this cap and put my wires out the bottom. the cap did go back on but it doesn't seem very secure. i have 4 wires coming out from around the bottom. do i need that cap? should i cut it? my kit came with a built in rubber grommet and i saw 1 writeup that said to cut that cap so the gromment can go inside the middle. not sure i wanted to do that. how else did folks work around this original cap?

oh yeah, one more thing. i bought my kit on ebay from wholesale-hid. 4300K for $50 and i have no bulb out light on inside. i'm sure someone will ask.
You could try one of those flexible cable gizmo's that has a three pronged grabber one end and a sprung loaded push button at the other. Bend it to shape, insert it through the hole, push the button to open the claws and grab the bulb and pull it out. Easier said that done I know.
The vacuum idea is good if you can fit a smaller nozzle to go in the hole.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Forum Regular

or you could try to blow it out with compressed air, if it is too big to come out, you might be able to break it up some how. Once again, just another idea. chris
I would recommend not looking anywhere close to the opening if you do this obviously. In theory it should work.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 PM

or you could try to blow it out with compressed air, if it is too big to come out, you might be able to break it up some how. Once again, just another idea. chris
I would recommend not looking anywhere close to the opening if you do this obviously. In theory it should work.
Do not use compressed air, you do not want bits of glass and metal blowing around against the plastic lens and scratching it inside.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Forum Regular

How much does a single HID bulb alone cost?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]

I have installed both high and low HID beams, there is not a problem for me, if you flash them they are noticable even cold.

Good write-up, It seems that I have competition for doing long and detailed write ups. Great, there are thoes that sit in the back of the room and never want to raise their hand to ask a question, this is for you all. Enjoy, Woody

PS great light improvement, well better than the silverstar that I tried also...............

Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much does a single HID bulb alone cost?
i bought my kit from this place. http://stores.ebay.com/wholesale-hid
i am very happy with my kit. even the nuts that came with the kit were an exact fit to the studs under the bonnet. looks like they are selling a pair of bulbs for ~$23. not sure what 1 would cost.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:31 PM

i bought my kit from this place. http://stores.ebay.com/wholesale-hid
i am very happy with my kit. even the nuts that came with the kit were an exact fit to the studs under the bonnet. looks like they are selling a pair of bulbs for ~$23. not sure what 1 would cost.
Did this kit come with the capacitor that is supposed to stop the dash light from coming on? Kit Fox shows a monster unit that he never used and he never ahd a light come on. Another responder said his was a much smaller and neater capacitor. I do not like the Kit Fox capacitor it is too big.
Basically what size is your capacitor?

Quick Reply: HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]