Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]

Old 11-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]

OK, before I get started with my HID install, what will my OEM high beams and fogs look line after install. I have a stock '05. Do i need to swap them for some SilverStars or something like so they don't look yellow next to my new 4300K's? who knows this?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eruby
OK, before I get started with my HID install, what will my OEM high beams and fogs look line after install. I have a stock '05. Do i need to swap them for some SilverStars or something like so they don't look yellow next to my new 4300K's? who knows this?
Oh, I know this.

I have SilverStar Ultras in my fogs and high beams. When you compare them to your new HID's, they will appear pi$$ yellow. I checked my buddy who has this setup in his 2006 S2000 (OEM HID's)and it is the same.

I'm soon going to 4300 K HID fog lights, but will keep the Ultras for the high beams until something better comes along.

I'm swapping out the marker lights and side markers (mine are clear) for "white" LED's-to blend a bit better.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max,

Are there any cautions to removing the bulb once you put it in? Dodge, for instance, says there may be residual high voltage in the system, and the bulb should [must] be replaced by the dealer. Is this just another way for them to make a buck?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:59 AM

I replaced the lows and fogs with the 4300 kits.
The lows have a bluer tint than the fogs.
Only annoyanc I find is the slight dark line that appears on the road. Which really would not be that bad but it shakes a little when going over rough road.
Still better than stock. They really have a wider and longer range than halogens. Signs and reflectors really light up.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by LVXF
Max,

Are there any cautions to removing the bulb once you put it in? Dodge, for instance, says there may be residual high voltage in the system, and the bulb should [must] be replaced by the dealer. Is this just another way for them to make a buck?
No damned way. It takes one impressive cap to hold 20KvDC for any time. You/we are safe.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 70GT6
I replaced the lows and fogs with the 4300 kits.
The lows have a bluer tint than the fogs.
Only annoyanc I find is the slight dark line that appears on the road. Which really would not be that bad but it shakes a little when going over rough road.
Still better than stock. They really have a wider and longer range than halogens. Signs and reflectors really light up.
Same complaint here-but It's the capsule support post inside the new bulb assembly. The bleedin' things are long and spindly-I wish they were made a bit more robust.

Won't go back though...

Old 11-15-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by LVXF
Max,

BS. Do it yourself you'll be fine! I didn't even disconnect my battery, fwiw.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Forum Regular

I don't want to use HIDs for my High Beams or Fogs because they switch on and off while driving. It's my understanding that HIDs have to remain on to achieve max output. I'm looking for a replacement bulb that is close to the 4300K HIDs i just bought from the low beams. Now I'm reading some posts that SilverStars are not lasting very long. Is that a problem with other mfgs? Also, I have some Xenon replacement bults in my other car (non-HID) and they look blue during the day when the lights are off. Nice white at night but I do not like that blue reflection during the day. Anyone have a good non-HID suggestion for the Highs and Fogs?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:45 AM

I read the other thread too.

PIAA is a reputable company. Their off-road lights are "Industry Standard".

Let us know?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the very helpful insights. Just installed HIDs, you tips really saved time.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by magneticred
Thanks for the very helpful insights. Just installed HIDs, you tips really saved time.
One more convert!

Glad to help!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:09 AM
Forum Regular

ok done. i installed my christmas hid's yesterday. took me less than an hour to do both. based on driving last nite, i seated them correctly the 1st time. my kit came with a small mounting bolt, nut, washer and lock washer. the nut fit perfectly on the stud not used on the drivers side. perfect mounting location. on the passenger side, after removing the tank, i saw another stud that actually held a hose clamp. the stud stuck up far enough where i could use it as well. i didn't take pics because i thought there were enough great shots on this topic. thanks all for the writeups.

2 issues:

1) while trying to remove the connector on the passenger side (what a ***** that was), i was actually moving the bulb under the clip and somehow broke the bulb off the base and now the old bulb is INSIDE the light. any ideas how to get that out? it doesn't seem to interfere with lighting but i don't think i like it bouncing around in there.

2) the original rubber cap that goes on the back of the light. i followed the directions that did not cut this cap and put my wires out the bottom. the cap did go back on but it doesn't seem very secure. i have 4 wires coming out from around the bottom. do i need that cap? should i cut it? my kit came with a built in rubber grommet and i saw 1 writeup that said to cut that cap so the gromment can go inside the middle. not sure i wanted to do that. how else did folks work around this original cap?

oh yeah, one more thing. i bought my kit on ebay from wholesale-hid. 4300K for $50 and i have no bulb out light on inside. i'm sure someone will ask.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 AM

Good going!

In reference #2, You need to have a fairly tight seal on that back cap or you'll see problems with condensation in moist, cool weather. On the inside of the lens.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Good going!

In reference #2, You need to have a fairly tight seal on that back cap or you'll see problems with condensation in moist, cool weather. On the inside of the lens.
ok, i went ahead and cut the original rubber caps and now have the gromment tightly attached and the original caps back installed. they did not stay on with the wires out the side.

now, any idea how to get the bulb out of the light??? it's probably only about 1" long and i've seen no signs of it interferring with the light but i don't like it being in there. any ideas folks???

Old 12-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Unhappy Re: HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]

I hate to say it, but you might end up removing the whole assembly, turning it upside-down and shaking it. This would involve removing the splash shield (4/6 bolts??) and then the 4 smaller screws that hold in the headlamp assembly.

The only thing I can think of...

Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM

Try using double-sided tape on a stick, emery board or on an angled magnetic retriever. PIIA! Good luck.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Forum Regular

I really wanna do this but my only fear is I heard that for some the kits turn on the light indicator on that a light bulb is out. Is that due to the wrong voltage or what?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:32 PM

No, no, no. The "$56.99 shipped" units work fine with no "Bulb Out" indicator.

This one works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1308

And this is the one I (and many others) bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...0615QQtcZphoto

Just make sure that you tell them you have a Crossfire (made by Mercedes) and they will include the proper wiring harness.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Forum Regular

Ordered Thanks!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
No, no, no. The "$56.99 shipped" units work fine with no "Bulb Out" indicator.

This one works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1308

And this is the one I (and many others) bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...0615QQtcZphoto

Just make sure that you tell them you have a Crossfire (made by Mercedes) and they will include the proper wiring harness.
I recommend the second seller, "hidgate"

I ordered replacement bulbs from the first seller, and they were the wrong color (labeled the correct ones I ordered... 5000k bulbs are not golden yellow ) Seller was unwilling to help / eventually opened up a dispute within paypal...

I have bought replacement bulbs from "hidgate" and he has shipped them fast, and the right bulbs.. never had a problem.. highly recommend that seller.

Quick Reply: HID Installation guide, with pictures. [Low Beams Only]