Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Water leak passenger compartment

Old 09-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Water leak passenger compartment

Need some suggestions.

I have a 2005 convertible SRT6.

Went out this AM after a very hard rain. Car was on a slight slope with rear lower. As I backed up in drive to head out I heard water sloshing behind the glove compartment and then I saw water dripping down onto the floormat from under the dash. Put a few towels on the floor, popped hood, removed minor debris from vent screen below wipers and then had to go. Sloshing continued until all water was soaked into towels. Speakers cut out. Hope when it dries out all will be well.

I assume there is more debris below that screen preventing the water from draining out under the car (BTW, when I bought car a few months ago there were two rubber gromits in the glove box?? probably not related.

Anyway, before I start taking things apart thought it best to seek suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Lou Marino

Old 09-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Water leak passenger compartment

the speakers might have cutout because the amp is right where you set those towels. you might want to check and see if its ok

Old 09-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Loumarino800
Need some suggestions.

Went out this AM after a very hard rain. Car was on a slight slope with rear lower. As I backed up in drive to head out I heard water sloshing behind the glove compartment and then I saw water dripping down onto the floormat from under the dash. Put a few towels on the floor, popped hood, removed minor debris from vent screen below wipers and then had to go. Sloshing continued until all water was soaked into towels. Speakers cut out. Hope when it dries out all will be well.

I assume there is more debris below that screen preventing the water from draining out under the car (BTW, when I bought car a few months ago there were two rubber gromits in the glove box?? probably not related.

Thanks in advance!

Lou Marino
I wrote this up after I did my new alarm siren https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t=23022&page=2 post #39

Old 09-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Cool Re: Water leak passenger compartment

Originally Posted by Loumarino800
Need some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Lou Marino
Going through the same thing now. On the engine side of the fire wall, there are two drains, one very visible the other is up under and next to where the longer one is. There is also a lot more water than those towels can get. Pull the carpet back and to reveal channels of water under the pad. Back the rear of the car up onto ramps and drain the water forward. Wet dry vac gets most of it. I am going to pull the carpet to allow the foam pad to dry completely to prevent mold and stink. What a pain. Good luck
Unclewilly1954

Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@unclewilly1954
I dont know if you figured out the problem yet, but read my post
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...did-about.html

Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM

This is a really common problem and it can lead to the blower motor catching fire. As of yet Chrysler offers no repair though this problem is a manufacturing defect. I suggest everyone with this issue file a complant https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ Hopefully we can get a recall and get Chrysler to fix this problem before someone's Xfire catches fire and burns up.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by earth1superman
This is a really common problem and it can lead to the blower motor catching fire. As of yet Chrysler offers no repair though this problem is a manufacturing defect. I suggest everyone with this issue file a complant https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ Hopefully we can get a recall and get Chrysler to fix this problem before someone's Xfire catches fire and burns up.
This is an awesome idea... Buick had to do similar recalls for the passenger area due to fire possibilities. I don't see why us Chrysler owners shouldnt have the same recalls when something so dangerous such as this is possible.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolme
This is an awesome idea... Buick had to do similar recalls for the passenger area due to fire possibilities. I don't see why us Chrysler owners shouldnt have the same recalls when something so dangerous such as this is possible.
Keep your drains clean. $hit happens, read all this guys posts.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:16 AM

I Had the same thing happen maybe 2 months ago after a bad rainstorm, as soon as i pulled forward i heard the water and was like wtf is that. Had to rip the interior out as well as the seat and sucked out maybe 2-3 gallons of water.

Turns out it was the drains below the windshield collar. Just simply remove it, unplug the drains as your all set. Weird thing was there was a rock in one of them that was bigger than any opening to originally get in there.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 AM

i had to buy a blower motor and blower module because of this leak and it also corroded the plug connection to my amp and fried the amp. just got this car 4 months ago and so far its eating my wallet nicely. considering getting rid of it