Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Adding fog lamps to base roadster?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adding fog lamps to base roadster?

I want to install fog lamps on my base roadster. Has anyone done this using either oem assemblies for the limited or with aftermarket lights?

Any pictures or how tos?

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Adding fog lamps to base roadster?

I did it to my 06 base.
I bought a set of OEM from the dealer. Picked up an item called Add A Circut at an auto store it is a fuse insert with a hot line coming off after you put 2 fuses in it. Mount the lights run the wires, one to a ground (There is a nice threaded stud on the left front wheel housing under the hood). The other wire to the hot wire on the Add A circut that has been pluged into the # 9 fuse outlet (Left side dashboard in door opening). The lights will work from the headlight switch.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
I did it to my 06 base.
I bought a set of OEM from the dealer. Picked up an item called Add A Circut at an auto store it is a fuse insert with a hot line coming off after you put 2 fuses in it. Mount the lights run the wires, one to a ground (There is a nice threaded stud on the left front wheel housing under the hood). The other wire to the hot wire on the Add A circut that has been pluged into the # 9 fuse outlet (Left side dashboard in door opening). The lights will work from the headlight switch.
Thanks for the info. I do plan to take this on. How much did the dealer charge for the assemblies? Do you know the part number?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 PM

Total cost was about $ 225.00 for the lights, wire, add a circut and the male light connectors.
The bulbs come with the lights from the dealer. Cost about 190.00 from dealer sorry don't remember part numbers. The dealer looked them up for me and actually had them in stock. The male wire connection for the lights came from a Pacifica fog light package. About 10.00 apiece.
The whole job took about 2 hours. I droped the front engine pan to access the light area it was better than going through the small hole in the front wheel well.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ they show the light assemblies at $104.49 ea.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Forgive me for being a bit slow.

but, how do you wire from the fuse box to the lights...

I'm trying to figure out the wire runs, and I get that the stock light switch will work, and the need to add a fuse, but how do you connect to the fuse box to power the harness for the fog lights?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Bruce

Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 AM

There is a device called "Add A Circut" it is a device with 2 prongs like a fuse and on the other side there are 2 fuse slots. There is also 1 wire coming out of the device, this will be the hot wire. Run a wire through the fire wall there are a few places to use. I used a hole with a large rubber gromet I think it was to the left of the brake master cylinder. Connect the wire to the new hot wire from the add a circut. Make your connections to the lights and find a good ground in the engine area. Then put 2, 15 amp. fuses in the add a circut and plug the add a circut into the # 9 fuse outlet (it has been awhile so check the fuse number for fog lights) the fog lights are fused they do not have a relay. The other way is to take out the headlight switch and wire it from the rear of the switch. You have to take apart part of the dash to do that.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Forum Regular

There is a device called "Add A Circut" it is a device with 2 prongs like a fuse and on the other side there are 2 fuse slots. There is also 1 wire coming out of the device, this will be the hot wire. Run a wire through the fire wall there are a few places to use. I used a hole with a large rubber gromet I think it was to the left of the brake master cylinder. Connect the wire to the new hot wire from the add a circut. Make your connections to the lights and find a good ground in the engine area. Then put 2, 15 amp. fuses in the add a circut and plug the add a circut into the # 9 fuse outlet (it has been awhile so check the fuse number for fog lights) the fog lights are fused they do not have a relay.
So, will this method work like factory with pulling the switch out one click to turn on the fog lights?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:19 PM

Yes, you can test it by placing two 15 apm fuses in the add a circut plug into the #9 fuse location. Then run a test light between the hot wire and a ground. Pluu out the switch and the test light should light. You may also notice a little light coming from the dash ares where the fog lignt indicator is in the switch.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's actually not that hard to get the switch out from behind the dash. The real headache is soldering the little pin thing that plugs into the panel. If you spread the dash apart about an inch, you can twist it and wiggle it out of there and then it's home free. I wrapped mine in the hockey tape and rand the wires where they are from the factory. You literally cannot tell that I added them after the fact. BTW, make sure you buy the newer style fogs as the older ones had a cap the fell off after a couple thousand miles. Bad deal and not sure about getting something like that warrantied since i treally wasn't on there from the factory. Mose places won't give you grief but some may if they know it's a base and not a limited adn that they didn't come like that from the factory.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 PM

I am in the process of doing this to my 2005 base roaster. Any suggestions on how to get from the engine compartment to the fuse block.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 PM

There is a black ruber gromet just underneath
the master cylinder setup. I don't remember what goes through it but you can pass the hot wire thgrough.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:59 PM

the master cylinder setup. I don't remember what goes through it but you can pass the hot wire thgrough.
FYI, make sure if you have a manual, you don't tug on the tube going through that grommet or you will be hating life for a few hours and be cleaning brake fluid off all the wires behind your dash. Believe me, I know!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM

Thanks
Doug

Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Doug let me know he finished up his project today. Great job!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM

The fog lights was a complete success. about eight and a half hours for the total instillation. this included cleaning the front rims while the tires were off to gain access to the compartment where the fog lights are located. I think I will add a wind restricter for my next priject. sure is good to have a vast resourse for anything I want to do. I enjoy the forum as well as crusing in my 05 base roaster now that the weather has gotten better.
PS: That is my better Half Doodle in the car not this grey haired old man.
R DOUG C

Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular

Doug,
Nice job. I to have a black base model.
I noticed what a good shine that you have on black windshield surround. Please let know what you use. I can get a great shine on my car except for that surround. Please help.

Joejet

PS
I'm sure you know that of all the Crossfires none look better then a Black onethat has a good shine.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by joejet
Doug,
Nice job. I to have a black base model.
I noticed what a good shine that you have on black windshield surround. Please let know what you use. I can get a great shine on my car except for that surround. Please help.

Joejet

PS
I'm sure you know that of all the Crossfires none look better then a Black onethat has a good shine.
Get them repainted. That's the long and the short of it. They are injection molded with the black topcoat sprayed into the mold before they shoot in all the plastic. It fades considerably faster than the paint on the rest of the car. Sorry to burst your bubble about getting them really pretty. Good news is they are a cinch to take off and put back on so take them to a reputable body shop and have them spray them to match your car. Should only cost $100-$150 and it is SO worth it IMHO.

PS, It has been stated as fact and no longer opinion that the black Crossfires are the hottest looking of any color.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Forum Regular

rcompart,
Thanks for the headsup. I guess its to the paint shop.

Joejet
2007 Black coupe std.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 PM

I have been useing Turtle was paste. Havn't been able to find it and I am almost out. I like everything except the white resedue. I have used liquid paste and Ice both are Turtle wax products . I dont like them as well as the paste. Would be interesting to know what others use on their Black Crossfires.
R DOUG C

Quick Reply: Adding fog lamps to base roadster?