Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

l.e.d. license plate lights

Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default l.e.d. license plate lights

just wanted to know where i could find l.e.d. license plate lights to replace the oem ones, anyone know the bulb type?

thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Default Re: l.e.d license plate lights

Here's a website you could find it there!
http://www.autolumination.com/
the type is "168" it's in the page 243 of the owners manual!
since you're changing it to LED and of course that does not have the same wattage as the OEM bulb, it might turn ur "burned bulb light" on! you might wanna look for "Load Equalizer" in the same site! it's designed to solve that problem! you can read all about it in there!
good luck and let me know how did ot turn out!

Last edited by Pejman; 05-28-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think someone made a sticky on the "festoon" type bulbs you need-including the length needed.

Do a search.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking Re: l.e.d. license plate lights

Here it is...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=21839

Old 05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: l.e.d. license plate lights

I have two load balancers on mine right now and they still flicker a bit... still tracing it down. Oh yeah and the 'bulb out' indicator is indeed still lit.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
I have two load balancers on mine right now and they still flicker a bit... still tracing it down. Oh yeah and the 'bulb out' indicator is indeed still lit.

Good luck!
This won't solve your bulb out indicator, but I do have a solution to the flickering in your license plate lamps:

These lamps flicker and die for two reasons: 1. Many of the LEDs that fit this position are not sealed and the connections on the inside rust and short. 2. The Crossfire was never meant to use LED lighting; the wiring produces overvoltages that while safe for standard lamps are disasterous for small LEDs.

Here are the workarounds:
1. Get this type of LED instead what you have installed now: search eBay for "6418 White LED" and look for one of the models that is in an all metal housing with two white LEDs. You'll need to place a piece of clear packaging tape across the two LEDs to seal the only holes on the unit.
2. Buy this voltage regulator and install it in between the lamp and the battery (or if you're using load resistors, in between those and the lamp): http://theledlight.com/rg12regulator.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LED 6418.jpg (26.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-18-2011, 01:51 PM

you can go here LED Lights | Led Lighting | and LED Wholesale for led lights if you like.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by amcordo
This won't solve your bulb out indicator, but I do have a solution to the flickering in your license plate lamps:

These lamps flicker and die for two reasons: 1. Many of the LEDs that fit this position are not sealed and the connections on the inside rust and short. 2. The Crossfire was never meant to use LED lighting; the wiring produces overvoltages that while safe for standard lamps are disasterous for small LEDs.

Here are the workarounds:
1. Get this type of LED instead what you have installed now: search eBay for "6418 White LED" and look for one of the models that is in an all metal housing with two white LEDs. You'll need to place a piece of clear packaging tape across the two LEDs to seal the only holes on the unit.
2. Buy this voltage regulator and install it in between the lamp and the battery (or if you're using load resistors, in between those and the lamp): RG-12 Voltage Regulators - Powering LEDs with a battery or generator
Later, after the post you quoted, I got some different wattage load resistors that DID make the lamp out indicator go out and removed the flickering. I will have to see what wattage they are before I misquote myself. Also, the LED lights are working fine and have not gone out due to condensation as the lenses are in fact weather sealed.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 PM

I had all kinds of trouble with LED license plate lights overheating to the point that the LEDs would desolder from the board underneath them. I suspect this, *not* the condensation issue, is why packing tape works to keep them alive longer (as the license plate bulb areas are most certainly very aggressively sealed and I've never seen a drop of condensation in mine). Molton/hot solder has an incredible amount of surface tension and I bet packing tape gives that little bit of extra stick that keeps all of the connections sound for a while.

I'm sure the voltage regulator ideas linked would solve that problem (a quality regulator won't get hot like garbage Chinese LED assemblies, and it'll be somewhere it can be equipped with adequate cooling), but that's a lot of hassle. What I've done instead is just encased the cheapest "can-bus" (aka w/ load resistor) LED bulbs I could find on eBay in clear epoxy - that way none of the joints desolder. They're white PCB, had no heat sink, and had 2 LED modules with 3 emitters each, and are plenty bright for license plate lights.

I'm sure I'm reducing the life of my LEDs by many orders of magnitude by running them incredibly hot, but even if they go from the ~20,000 hour lifespan of a typical LED to ~400 hours, I'm fine - that's a few years of headlights-on time for me.

For what it's worth the bulb holders are very hot to the touch after operation but I've been using this LED setup for probably 50 hours of headlights-on time (about 9 months of driving for me) and nothing's melted and my LEDs aren't noticeably dimmer than when I started. If you're the running-lights/headlights on all day style, your results my vary.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I think someone made a sticky on the "festoon" type bulbs you need-including the length needed.

Do a search.
Hi, I am trying to find that sticky. Would you mind giving me the title of the thread or the link? Thank you very much