Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Anyone interested in an actual carbon fiber hood?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone interested in an actual carbon fiber hood?

Originally Posted by Voyager
i dont think 1000 dollars is steep. i think people are kind of cheap on this forum. originally people were willing to pay around 3 grand to get into the 12s and people arent willing to spend a third that to get a carbon fiber hood
$1k is steep for just a hood, no matter which way you cut it. $3k is a lot more, but compared to what you can do with the 3 grand (getting into the 12's which requires a lot more than a hood) is a little more palateable.

Justin

Old 06-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you compare how much every part is for a Mercedes/Crossfire to your average Tuner Honda/Toyota/what ever....then a grand for a hood, when everybody else is paying $500 seems about right. Remember they're not shooting these out the door at 500 units at a time.
Low production always drives the price up.
I had to pay an outrageous amout of money to have my hood fabricated, and even though it wound up costing me nearly double what I originally planned, I felt it was worth it.
Since I got such a fantastic deal on my car brand new over 3 years ago, it makes having to pay thru the nose for everything else much easier to digest.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 thanks +fireamx

Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

violenteer if you dont mind me asking how much is that project your working on? if you dont want to post it and would rather pm me thats fine
no worries. i dont mind one bit. it is going to be between 1500 and 2000 dollars. i have shopped around, and although it is not the cheapest, i have seen some pics of the guys work, and seen the cars in his shop (bmw, merc, corvettes blah blah) and am happy to pay the extra for it to look the part.

there is also going to be some required blending of the existing grooves such that there is a really nice flow on effect and does not look like the bonnet has been cut and moved up. i think it is going to look great, and the guy is a real artist and showed enthusiasm which is a plus.

i have already spoken to him about a body kit aswell, have shown him the pics of those that have been thrown around the form. i am going to get the body "I" want, and if anyone wants a copy they can have it.

the US dollar is also worth more than our, so it counteracts any transport.

if the bonnet looks good, may get a mold of it, and sell that replicas. who knows.

anyway these are pipe dreams. what i know is this: bonnet is definately starting in next couple of weeks and i am willing to pay a reasonable amount for good craftsmanship, and the craftsmen that are enthusiastic about working on a car they have not worked on before.

a lot of people on this site baulk at cost. what do they expect. we have al ow production vehicle that is effectively mercedes. hell. i know as soon as i drive my car to any place asking a quote, i see dollars in their eyes. not too many of these vehicles in oz, they retail for 75 grand and still fetch 40 grand second hand. supply and demand.

Last edited by Violenteer; 06-12-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Violenteer
no worries. i dont mind one bit. it is going to be between 1500 and 2000 dollars. i have shopped around, and although it is not the cheapest, i have seen some pics of the guys work, and seen the cars in his shop (bmw, merc, corvettes blah blah) and am happy to pay the extra for it to look the part.

there is also going to be some required blending of the existing grooves such that there is a really nice flow on effect and does not look like the bonnet has been cut and moved up. i think it is going to look great, and the guy is a real artist and showed enthusiasm which is a plus.

i have already spoken to him about a body kit aswell, have shown him the pics of those that have been thrown around the form. i am going to get the body "I" want, and if anyone wants a copy they can have it.

the US dollar is also worth more than our, so it counteracts any transport.

if the bonnet looks good, may get a mold of it, and sell that replicas. who knows.

anyway these are pipe dreams. what i know is this: bonnet is definately starting in next couple of weeks and i am willing to pay a reasonable amount for good craftsmanship, and the craftsmen that are enthusiastic about working on a car they have not worked on before.

a lot of people on this site baulk at cost. what do they expect. we have al ow production vehicle that is effectively mercedes. hell. i know as soon as i drive my car to any place asking a quote, i see dollars in their eyes. not too many of these vehicles in oz, they retail for 75 grand and still fetch 40 grand second hand. supply and demand.
WOW that is an awesome price. and that shop sounds AMAZING!!! i am thinking about getting the sl55 installed on the hood. hopefully its around that price. or this carbon fiber idea sounds awesome too!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:37 PM

yeah. i dont mnd the whole carbon fiber idea, the only issue i have is trying to make the crossfire look like a merc. to me it is not a merc. yes. the guts are merc. the body is american muscle.

just different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Violenteer
yeah. i dont mnd the whole carbon fiber idea, the only issue i have is trying to make the crossfire look like a merc. to me it is not a merc. yes. the guts are merc. the body is american muscle.

Uh-oh, did I just hear a can of worms being opened?

Old 06-13-2008, 03:58 AM

just fishing on a sunday is all.

but seriously. i dont think of it as merc or a chrysler. that is why i have gone for the crossfire emblems made by andrew. becuase that is exactly what it is. a crossfire.

i just want to heighten that identity.

whoa. deep man.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 AM

see i think our cars are MILES away from american muscle. its built from a luxury coupe. so why not build off that

Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 AM

and i want to put the emblems from andrew on my car cause i hate the chrysler crap. but i cant find something i think will look good on a ssb. i think the black emblems will make it look like the car has a nose

Old 06-13-2008, 01:15 PM

see i think our cars are MILES away from american muscle. its built from a luxury coupe. so why not build off that
depends on perception.

obviously if i had the coin i would get myself a viper. but they are hell expensive here. well over 100 grand. ouch.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:24 PM

i take it you dont live in america??? is that why your calling a german automobile american muscle haha

Old 06-13-2008, 04:45 PM

i live in australia. i know the car is mechanically german engineered, american designed shell.. i seem to have a penchant for euro/american bastadised vehicles.

i also own a cougar. which is designed in europe, made in america. and has not been driven since i got the crossfire

poor kitty.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular

i stopped reading this thread when people started talking about putting stupid gay hood scoops on this car, what is wrong with the hood, the only thing that would look good on the car would be this hood in carbon fiber with maybe, maybe some vents on the hood somewhere but prolly not, most likely the stock hood is the cleanest look for the car, or the identical hood in carbon fiber. hood scoops are stupid stupid stupid, buy a firebird or something if you want them, this is s german automobile, you see mercedes driving around with hood scoops on the hood, NO!! if i ever saw one with hood scoops on it i would hate to ever be compared to that car would be a disgrace and pure rice!!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:45 PM

in amx' defense there is NOTHING ricer about putting a AMX hoodscoop on a car. i dont care if he did it to a civic.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
i stopped reading this thread when people started talking about putting stupid gay hood scoops on this car, what is wrong with the hood, the only thing that would look good on the car would be this hood in carbon fiber with maybe, maybe some vents on the hood somewhere but prolly not, most likely the stock hood is the cleanest look for the car, or the identical hood in carbon fiber. hood scoops are stupid stupid stupid, buy a firebird or something if you want them, this is s german automobile, you see mercedes driving around with hood scoops on the hood, NO!! if i ever saw one with hood scoops on it i would hate to ever be compared to that car would be a disgrace and pure rice!!
hmmm. i feel perhaps your comments may be ill measured. but i see a lot of that on this forum, and as such expected to be in the midst of it at some point.

rather than using pointed words such as "gay" (which actually means happy, or to be attracted to the same sex - which i am pretty sure does not apply to a vehicle) and "stupid", which you backed up in triplicate, it might be wiser just to say that this is not your preference.

we can see throughout this forum that most have a different perception of what modding the crossfire entails, and further what their intended vision of the vehicle might be.

i sat on this forum for a couple of months just reading, gleaning, gathering and pondering. i saw a lot attacks. saw it as pointless. my art is my perception. you like blue. i like red. i like brunnette. you like blondes. i like scoops. you dont.

that is why i chose to just get it done myself and not try too hard to sway the arguement on this thread.

i realise i am relatively new to this forum, and as such dont wish to offend a single soul. have i? hope not. i try to be accepting of others opinions. it is your car. you drive it. you look at it. you enjoy it. you do as you please.

i am violenteer. i make no apologie. i like hood scoopes. and chrome. and subwoofers. i also like sexy woman (especially in a nice two piece and stilletos). and things that go fast (except things that should be slow).

Last edited by Violenteer; 06-13-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 PM

haha i like this guy!!! im a brunette guy as well! ive wanted to go to australia for a VERY long time. and i agree with him 100% we obviously have different opinions of this car. me luxury coupe, him american muscle. hes a scoop guy, i like the ws6 scoop but would only keep it on the trans am. i am a vent guy. did i EVER bash him on him getting a hood NO. i in fact am very excited to see this hood. i would LOVE to see AMX' hood in person. but would i put either on my car no. but i do want the sl55 hood

Old 06-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Forum Regular

ok professor, just stating my point and bringing some excitement to this thread i guess, it is always popping up in my emails and seems like everytime i read it it has something to do with a hood scoop, ill put it this way in my opinion i HATE hood scoops on cars that it doesn't belong on.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Tyler, since I'm directly responsible for being the one who started this whole stupid, stupid, stupid hood scoop phenomena, I feel compelled to address some of the issues that you have brought up.
First, of course you are entitled to your opinions, as is everybody on this forum.
Secoundly, the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. Obviously you have some pretty strong feelings about hood scoops, so at least you aren't indifferent towards them.
Third, I'm sorry that you feel the modifications that I choose to make to "my" car some how deminishes the one that you own, simply because you interpret them as being "Pure Rice". But those are simply insecurities that you sir need to deal with.
It should be obvious to anybody who has been on this forum for any length of time that the Crossfire is many different things to all of us. For some it's a sports car, first and for most, to others it's a luxury GT. Many SRT owners think of their cars as a take no prisoners drag car, while others are perfectly content with it being very nice daily transportation or a weekend run-a-bout.
Some are perfectly happy keeping their cars stock, (as well they shoud be) while others install after market wheels, or de-badge, and re-badge as they see fit.
The Creator (Erick Stoddard) the person completely responsible for the Crossfire prototypes design, told me, (and I quote): "The main inspiration for the Crossfire design were cars like the Auburn Boattail Speedster, and later the 63 Stingray, and 68 Mustang fastback. The objective was to create a purely American Art Deco streamliner aesthetic".
Of course he was speaking of the fast back roof design of the Crossfire Coupe, when mentioning the Mustang and the Stingray, but both of those designs eventually wound up with hood scoops. The Corvette in 1966, and the 68 Mustang Cobra Jet.
I figured since both of those cars wear their hood scoops quite admirably, that the Crossfire was capable of doing the same.
The hood scoop that I chose to use has a very similar silhouette as the Crossfires roof line, and personally I feel it adds an intimidating attitude to the car. And that's the look that I wanted for "My" car.

Last edited by +fireamx; 06-14-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 PM

thats an interesting quote! barely see any of those cars in it but thats good to know!

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in an actual carbon fiber hood?