Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

APS Mesh Grille...Special Price for Forum Members

Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: APS Mesh Grille...Special Price for Forum Members

Originally Posted by bigguns300zx
Any pics of the grille with the center piece from further away???
thanks
Here are some shots with and without the center spine.

They come without. All I did was use some chrome body side molding cut to fit. Mayaman liked the thin post look and created a more permanent solution. After driving with the spines, I decided the no spine looked best to me.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I just noticed this amazing offer.

Would it be possible to order the upper and both lower mesh grilles.

I live in Finland, so could it be shipped here? PLEASE... it's so hard to find items for the Xfire in here. The stop the selling in 2004....

My car is a 2006 roadster 3,2, not he SRT6.... Too expensive with the insurance.

How much would be the shipping to finland. DHL, fedex, etc. they can send it. Could you inform me thx.

They look really nice.

Best regards,
martti warras

Old 05-21-2008, 05:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent you a PM and e-mail, but have not gotten a reply.??? I'll take the upper grill. Let me know when they come in and how to pay.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 AM

Sorry for the slow reply. They are due to arrive in mid-June. At this point they are extending the special pricing. I will let you all know when they are available.

Thanks

Originally Posted by strupgolf
I sent you a PM and e-mail, but have not gotten a reply.??? I'll take the upper grill. Let me know when they come in and how to pay.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Put me down for just the upper 130.00.
thanks
Josh

Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 AM

Will notify you when they arrive.

Originally Posted by bigguns300zx
Put me down for just the upper 130.00.
thanks
Josh

Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 AM

I really hate the frame around it...i have sen the one off grille with no frame and it looks great. hopefully someone re-creates that one.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:16 PM

After working with a few companies I realize that to make a grille at an affordable price takes several things.

1) Volume, there has to be a large enough group to expect volume sales

2) Plastic molding. This is an example of what the car companies do. The Bentley, new Jaguar and others that appear to have a wire mesh grille are in fact molded plastic. Volume plays a big part in this. I had an offer from one company to make a plastic grille. They required guaranteed sales of 200-400 pieces. The design, setup, mold, and production costs (all need to be paid up front) is around $10K. If you do a search on the forum, I brought this up and found only a handful of people willing to commit.

3) If you don't have either of the above, you have to go with ease of production. The SS grille frame is wide enough to allow a quick weld of the heavy SS mesh to the frame. A narrower frame would require much more time and quality control which would add dramatically to the cost.

4) The current APS grille I am offering has sold a total of around 40 worldwide. There are pending orders just from us for another 5-10. These same grilles are sold thru Grilles4U on eBay. Because of my involvement and promise that forum members wanted an inexpensive yet good looking mesh grille, I was able to make a deal with APS. As a result, after S&H is included, forum members save almost $50 by buying from me as opposed to going direct. BTW I have sold more grilles to forum members than G4U has sold across the internet.

5) Just before APS made their grille available, I tried to get a local house to make the grille custom. It was to have a thinner frame with the same quality and weight, faceted wire mesh. The first prototype grille was going to cost somewhere in the $1K to $1.5K range just for the upper grille. Check the internet and see what is being charged just for the mesh fabric.

Yes a custom grille can be just that, custom! But for $237 delivered FedEx to your door for not just the upper, but the two lower grilles as well, seems a lot more reasonable.

Funny thing is that I and other members commented on the wide frame of the TRex grille, which has a very similar appearance, based on photos presented in the forum, thought it was not very attractive as well. Those grilles are still selling for $600 or more on the internet. After getting the grille, installing it, it really doesn't look that bad. In fact it looks damn good. I am not the only one to feel that way. If you have been reading the threads there has been one positive comment after another posted by people who have purchased this grille. Again considering the price this grille is a winner.

I am not saying that because it is reasonably priced everyone should immediately embrace one. Rather, some will love it, and some will not. Some love the look of a $250 chrome plastic overlay for the OEM grille, some don't. Some like the look of the $400 billet grilles, some don't. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as the owner likes it.

Some of us on the forum have taken the next step and did something more than offer their opinon and actually made products available at reasonable prices. Two years ago there was very little and what was available was at very inflated prices.

Opinions are great when given constructively. Remember the person who posted whatever modification it is, probably really felt good about it, and they should. After all it is THEIR car they are excited about. If you don't like it, a simple "it's just not my taste" or perhaps something like "...A little far out for me, but glad you like it" would suffice.

Caddyman3, I am not singling you out or implying that you have acted as described above. You said you hope "someone re-creates" that one off grille with no frame that looks great. Why not check into it and see what you can come up with?

This is a great forum and it is wonderful to see all the Crossfire people who love their cars share experiences, offer help and support for owners of a vehicle far more loyal to it than the company who designed and sold them.

I think the fact that it is Memorial Day influenced my words. To most it is just another day off. To some it is a day dedicated to those who gave everything so we can have the freedoms we do.

Originally Posted by caddyman3
I really hate the frame around it...i have sen the one off grille with no frame and it looks great. hopefully someone re-creates that one.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Thumbs up Re: APS Mesh Grille...Special Price for Forum Members

Karl,

Love your grille on my new Roadster, & I installed the Lowers yesterday, they look great also!
Thank you for all your efforts for this Forum!

May they Continue to Rest in Peace, as they Did Not Die in Vain"!

"Semper Fidelis!"

Old 05-26-2008, 05:01 PM

wow that was a long boring read. first I am new here so i posted that hoping someone would have a better option, second I am a veteran and a current enlisted member of the USAF so i know what the day is about. before you preach, learn who you are talking to. P.S. if there was a framless on the market, nobody would buy these, and yes that is my opinion.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

SRT SIX, keep up the good work, I respect what you are doing and found it very informative. I am willing to wait for a blk grille, and I have priced the mesh to make my own...the material alone was more expensive than the grille you are selling. Airman, you need to back off until you've been on here awhile and see what everyone contributes, and there are a lg number of vets on here everyday. We all appreciate your service, but that doesn't give you or anyone a rt to attack someone just because you don't like it...you could go over to the shop and design and build your own...plenty of sheet metal around the base as I remember it...Doc

Old 05-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyman3
wow that was a long boring read. first I am new here so i posted that hoping someone would have a better option, second I am a veteran and a current enlisted member of the USAF so i know what the day is about. before you preach, learn who you are talking to. P.S. if there was a framless on the market, nobody would buy these, and yes that is my opinion.
Being a veteran doesn't excuse you from being a jerk. And yes that is my opinion. Karl has taken on a huge challenge for the good of the other Xfire owners. You think he's getting rich from this? LOL

Good luck in finding a grill that meets your demanding eye. I for one like my mod and think it looks pretty bad ***. Not to mention the grill looks much better in person than in pics.

2008_04250006.jpg

2008_04250007.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

2008_04250018.jpg

Looks pretty good to me, especially after modding it the way I wanted.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MAYAman
Being a veteran doesn't excuse you from being a jerk. And yes that is my opinion. Karl has taken on a huge challenge for the good of the other Xfire owners. You think he's getting rich from this? LOL

Good luck in finding a grill that meets your demanding eye. I for one like my mod and think it looks pretty bad ***. Not to mention the grill looks much better in person than in pics.

Looks pretty good to me, especially after modding it the way I wanted.
I'm going to be the 3904732th person to say this, but your car is amazing, dude. What kind of surprises me, though, is that you don't have custom wheels. Not that that's a problem or that the stock wheels look bad or anything, but how come, though?

Last edited by rock; 05-29-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM

^^^I'm going with the Startech/Brabus Monoblock Vs. To complete the Startech conversion. Just waiting on the right price. 20" in rear/ 19" up front. gonna look sick.

edit: wait till you see the side skirt project. LOL

Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^I'm going with the Startech/Brabus Monoblock Vs. To complete the Startech conversion. Just waiting on the right price. 20" in rear/ 19" up front. gonna look sick.

edit: wait till you see the side skirt project. LOL
Are those the wheels on the Startech site?

Last edited by FP; 05-29-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
FP

I found the picture. Are these the wheels you're getting MAYAman?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 PM

^^^Yup. Just a couple months more of saving!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:41 AM

hey. i want the both uppers and lowers. definately.

delivery to australia.

:-)

Old 05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
FP

^^^Yup. Just a couple months more of saving!!!
Sweet............how much are these?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:54 PM

^^^They used to be over 1k per wheel but now about $700 which is still ridiculous. I'm waiting but may just get the copies.

Quick Reply: APS Mesh Grille...Special Price for Forum Members