Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

APS Mesh Grille...Special Price for Forum Members

Old 06-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: APS Mesh Grille...Special Price for Forum Members

Thank-you SRT SIX for getting these grills to market. You may recall a few years ago my attempt to get a "frameless" mesh grill, but this turned upside down when the creater told me that he couldn't make it for less than $1000 just for materials. I'll be honest and say that I would like a grill with less of a frame and I was going to ask you this, but seem to have already answer my question. I must say, with some of these pics the grill looks better than what I thought. Have you ever had a request to paint the border the same color as the windshield surround, side strakes, and wheels? Maybe you can create a photoshoped version of this?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i didnt read the entire thread because its 10 pages but in response to golfdudes post. srt six maybe if you put the chrome frame on the back of the grill it would keep support and wouldnt be seen as much? idk just a thought

Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha! I read the entire thread because I couldn't sleep. But voyager, that's a good idea to have the frame behind the grill. But, I think to keep the price low modifications to the original design can't be done by SRT SIX. Or maybe???

Old 06-17-2008, 11:41 AM

Good idea, but it will not work. They tack weld the mesh to the back of the frame. From the backside, it is not a pretty sight.

Originally Posted by Voyager
i didnt read the entire thread because its 10 pages but in response to golfdudes post. srt six maybe if you put the chrome frame on the back of the grill it would keep support and wouldnt be seen as much? idk just a thought

Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Good news, the grilles are to arrive in the warehouse on the 20th. However, there are a limited number of lower grilles at this time (only about six or seven sets of the lowers) and several are spoken for. The good news is that there are enough upper grilles to meet demand (hopefully).

If you want to get them send me an email with your phone contact number to karl@cardoover.com

I will be billing via paypal and shipping next week.

On a side note I will be leaving for a much needed vacation to Italy (yes I am going to Modena and Maranello) and France for 5 weeks and will have no way to fill orders during that time.

If you want one of the grilles let me know so payment can be received and shipment made before July 8th.

So far the following want full sets ($237 USD including S&H to continental US)

Wanderman
violenteer
Ichon
Boricua1
Martii Warras
Justin Chamberlin

Upper only ($150 USD including S&H to continental US)

Peterkruger1340

I have had requests from

rodimus
micka
zad
arc
martosh79

Again please let me know ASAP

Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in Please-

Upper-with smaller center spine, and lower-- Please

Update- Sent PM & Email.

Last edited by rodimus; 06-17-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

^^^
The center spine was a custom job I did with stainless steel. Or are you speaking of the stick on trim?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MAYAman
^^^
The center spine was a custom job I did with stainless steel. Or are you speaking of the stick on trim?
Oh- Honestly, I don't know. Whatever is easiest.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to order the upper with the spline. How muck with the shipping to 47374?
Do you do paypal?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:08 AM

I would like to make clear that the grille DOES NOT come with the center spline. Forum members have added them. Mayaman actually took a portion of an antenna and cut and fit it. I showed various width center splines using chrome body side molding cut to fit. The body side molding is very inexpensive and available at most auto part stores.

Hope this clears up this issue.

SRT SIX

Originally Posted by indiana
I would like to order the upper with the spline. How muck with the shipping to 47374?
Do you do paypal?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 AM

Trying to keep you all up to date on delivery. The upper grilles did arrive in the Port of Los Angeles late last week. The container they were shipped in was randomly selected by customs to go through a more thorough check than expected. APS expects the container to be released by customs by Tuesday the 24th. If so, they will be at the local warehouse the next day.

For those who have ordered grilles who have not yet received an invoice from paypal, you will get one as soon as I have been notified they are in the warehouse. It appears there will be only 5 lowers. Those have all been spoken for.

Anyone wanting to take advantage of the new shipment, who have not already notified me please email me at karl@cardoover.com please include your phone number.

I have secured the special pricing and the uppers are $150 USD delivered to the continental US. Those who purchase the uppers now and want the lowers when they arrive mid to late August will be able to add them for $87 USD at that time (that is the special price of $237 for both)

Thanks,

Karl

Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM

getting emails daily on availability.

Just got this from APS

Karl,

I am sorry the container is still under process of inspection, that we can’t get the stock available for you tomorrow. I heard my college says probably take 2 or 3 more days, anyway, as soon as it released, I will inform you immediately.

Best regards,
Paul on behalf of Jeffrey

Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 AM
Forum Regular

Hi there,

thank you very much for the grills. Everything when as planned and they are now installed on my XFire.

They look amazing. I am so glad to have purchased them. After intalling them, I went for a test drive in the center and straight away a couple came to talk to me about my car. The man wanted to buy it ... BUT "No" I like it to much and it is a pleasure to own a car that almost nobody in Finland has.

Here is a pic of it and more in my gallery.

Thx for sharing the items Karl.

Have a blast in your holiday.

Sheers

Martti W.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF2756.jpg (2.84 MB, 55 views)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
After working with a few companies I realize that to make a grille at an affordable price takes several things.

1) Volume, there has to be a large enough group to expect volume sales

2) Plastic molding. This is an example of what the car companies do. The Bentley, new Jaguar and others that appear to have a wire mesh grille are in fact molded plastic. Volume plays a big part in this. I had an offer from one company to make a plastic grille. They required guaranteed sales of 200-400 pieces. The design, setup, mold, and production costs (all need to be paid up front) is around $10K. If you do a search on the forum, I brought this up and found only a handful of people willing to commit.

3) If you don't have either of the above, you have to go with ease of production. The SS grille frame is wide enough to allow a quick weld of the heavy SS mesh to the frame. A narrower frame would require much more time and quality control which would add dramatically to the cost.

4) The current APS grille I am offering has sold a total of around 40 worldwide. There are pending orders just from us for another 5-10. These same grilles are sold thru Grilles4U on eBay. Because of my involvement and promise that forum members wanted an inexpensive yet good looking mesh grille, I was able to make a deal with APS. As a result, after S&H is included, forum members save almost $50 by buying from me as opposed to going direct. BTW I have sold more grilles to forum members than G4U has sold across the internet.

5) Just before APS made their grille available, I tried to get a local house to make the grille custom. It was to have a thinner frame with the same quality and weight, faceted wire mesh. The first prototype grille was going to cost somewhere in the $1K to $1.5K range just for the upper grille. Check the internet and see what is being charged just for the mesh fabric.

Yes a custom grille can be just that, custom! But for $237 delivered FedEx to your door for not just the upper, but the two lower grilles as well, seems a lot more reasonable.

Funny thing is that I and other members commented on the wide frame of the TRex grille, which has a very similar appearance, based on photos presented in the forum, thought it was not very attractive as well. Those grilles are still selling for $600 or more on the internet. After getting the grille, installing it, it really doesn't look that bad. In fact it looks damn good. I am not the only one to feel that way. If you have been reading the threads there has been one positive comment after another posted by people who have purchased this grille. Again considering the price this grille is a winner.

I am not saying that because it is reasonably priced everyone should immediately embrace one. Rather, some will love it, and some will not. Some love the look of a $250 chrome plastic overlay for the OEM grille, some don't. Some like the look of the $400 billet grilles, some don't. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as the owner likes it.

Some of us on the forum have taken the next step and did something more than offer their opinon and actually made products available at reasonable prices. Two years ago there was very little and what was available was at very inflated prices.

Opinions are great when given constructively. Remember the person who posted whatever modification it is, probably really felt good about it, and they should. After all it is THEIR car they are excited about. If you don't like it, a simple "it's just not my taste" or perhaps something like "...A little far out for me, but glad you like it" would suffice.

Caddyman3, I am not singling you out or implying that you have acted as described above. You said you hope "someone re-creates" that one off grille with no frame that looks great. Why not check into it and see what you can come up with?

This is a great forum and it is wonderful to see all the Crossfire people who love their cars share experiences, offer help and support for owners of a vehicle far more loyal to it than the company who designed and sold them.

I think the fact that it is Memorial Day influenced my words. To most it is just another day off. To some it is a day dedicated to those who gave everything so we can have the freedoms we do.
I just read this post and I couldn't agree more.
You put a ton of hard work and time into this.
There arethose that think about doing things and those that actually do things and then there are an overwhelming bunch that spend their lives critisizing what others have accomplished.
Cudos to you for your accomplishment.

Just the other day i discovered someone backed their trailer hitch into my grille while I was parked on a city street. At first it looked like someone had kicked it but closer inspection reveiled the tell tell signs as it the hitch and ball slid accross the bumper then under the fins cracking the inner grille.

So, if these are still available I am interested....

Old 07-15-2008, 11:56 AM

Jaded,

Thanks for your thoughtful words. This is a great forum with great members. It is amazing how we have all come together to provide help and terrific products that both enhance looks and performance on our great little cars.

I am currently on a much needed vacation to Europe (Italy now, UK and Irreland next week) driving around and loving it. It is sort of like track day driving all the time.....too much fun! Will be back mid August and get in touch with all those who want the grilles.

SRT SIX

Old 07-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Whenever you come back SRT I would love a complete set. And to think, I was ACTUALLY about to drop 600 plus on this Trex set up!!!! How much to ship the complete set to 75010?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Realiztik1
Whenever you come back SRT I would love a complete set. And to think, I was ACTUALLY about to drop 600 plus on this Trex set up!!!! How much to ship the complete set to 75010?
It is $237 USD delivered FedEx Ground to your door (anywhere in the continental US)

Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 AM

I sent you a e-mail wanting a upper grill. Let me know if you got it or not. Thanks

Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by strupgolf
I sent you a e-mail wanting a upper grill. Let me know if you got it or not. Thanks
Got it. Will let you know when I get back.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 PM

put me down for both the upper and lower set please!

Quick Reply: APS Mesh Grille...Special Price for Forum Members