Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Something Forum Members Can Do About Crossfire Grills Copyright Violation

Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Don but you are claiming ownership of our product dont back pedal

Coming Back And Complaining About A Part Of The Grill Being Less Then An 1/8 Of An Inch Off Does Not Mean You Were Involved In Developing The Grill. If I Buy A Whopper And Come Back And Complain That It Has Too Much Lettuce Does Not Mean I Developed The Whopper. Your Car Was Here For Several Days, You Don't Think We Took Pictures? You Brought Us The Picture That You Printed Off Our Site Remember? Nowhere In Any Of Your Advertisements Does It Say That Anybody But You Made These Grills. Never At Anytime Did We Give You Exclusive Rights To This Grill...why Would We When Were Making It Before You Even Had Your Car. You Were Claiming Ownership Of The Grills And We Have Copied The Many Posts On Here And The E-mails Recieved From Fellow Crossfire Owners On This Forum Stating That And The Info Given To Ebay Stated That Also, Which Is Why We Still Have Them On There Now And They Are Not Giving You The Time Of Day. You Can't Copyright Our Product Nor A Picture Of Our Product...

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Banned
Default Re: Something Forum Members Can Do About Crossfire Grills Copyright Violation

Originally Posted by donoutwest
Thanks for all the support your have shown. From here on, I'm going to move forward in my efforts to develop a new grill. I met with a very capable fabricator today and he told me some things about the options that will work on the Crossfire. I am going to pursue that and will keep you informed. I have submitted my protest in detail to eBay and if they respond, fine, if not I have better things to do with my time. Thanks again, I appreciate all you have tried to do.
GOOD!
I LIKE THE "GRILL" BUT IT'S TOO GENERIC BILLET, DESIGN A REAL CROSSFIRE GRILL THAT'S DIFFERENT THAN ALL THOSE BILLET TRUCK ONES! I'LL ADD MY EMBLEMS TO IT !
HAVE A GREAT X-MAS & NEW YEAR.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Default Re: Something Forum Members Can Do About Crossfire Grills Copyright Violation

Well, that's a funny story. I actually just found this grill on eBay and came here to see if you all had seen it yet.... I guess you have. lol. Anyway, I really like the grill, but alas, now I'm not sure who to buy it from or whether to buy it at all. So I'd just like to present the facts as I see them and everyone feel free to shoot down whatever is wrong.
  • It sounds to me like you're both saying the same thing about the actual product, in that Chris made it and owns it.
  • It sounds like Don is happy with the final product. (Don?)
  • I have seen that it is available on EBay from chris as a set for $430ish (Do you sell them as seperate pieces, Chris)?
  • I also see it available as seperate pieces or a set from Don (do you actually have some to sell, Don?) on his website crossfiregrills.com
  • It sounds like Don has two concerns; A) he thinks the pictures used are his and B) he thinks Chris offered to make him an exclusive distributor of the grilles and Chris disagrees with both assertions.
Personally, the pictures wouldn't bother me in the least if I were in Don's shoes, since they are basically pictures of a Crossfire which we can all go in our garage and take at any time. So the main concern to be worked out between Don and Chris is the distribution issue and it sounds like Chris has taken ownership of that with little recourse left for Don since there is nothing in writing.

So the rest of us must decide basically if Chris is someone we want to do business with if we are going to consider purchasing this grille. It may be, as someone stated, similar to the billet truck grills you see now and then on the road, but at least it's not like every Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Pacifica that you pass by, which is a plus for me.

Don, you could put this whole thing to rest easily if most of the above is true and you're not 100% positive that you and Chris had reached a specific agreement (i.e., perhaps you suggested the idea and Chris misunderstood your suggestion as does happen from time to time). Is this possible, Don?

Anyway, I really like the grille. I would like to purchase one from someone. Can you two perhaps talk it out and reach an accord so that I (and anyone else interested) can purchase one without feeling like we may have done the wrong thing?

Old 12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Default grills are avalible to order call 1800 842 8789

Hi if you or from Chris on ebay you will be ordering from Chassis Tech the manufacturer of the grills. If you ordered from Don you will not recieve the grill because he was getting the grills from us and we no longer sell to him due to his unprofessional business tactics and false copywrite claims to ebay resulting to loss orders due to 24 hold put on auctions for investigation of said claims which were found to be untrue...

Old 12-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it a copyright violation unless he filed for Copyright. And who's to say Don isn't in copyright violation from other grill manufactuers? I see billet grills all the time on 350Z's wouldn't that be a violation of the grill manufactuer?

Old 12-06-2007, 02:34 PM

Now I'm not sure what to think. Regardless of who's doing what; it's a nice grille, but I don't really think it's $600+ nice. That being said, I'm planning ahead.

My new Crossfire grille design will require a combination of the following items/devices:
  1. Chrome
  2. Cow horns
  3. The spring-mounted Chrysler star emblem from a 1987 minivan's hood
  4. Something spinning (possibly he above-mentioned doyingy star emblem).
  5. Neon, LEDs, or HID Lamps, or a combination of all three.

If anyone wants to come up with a CAD of this for me I'll sign off on it immediately (orally or written; doesn't matter).

Last edited by amcordo; 12-06-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:40 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: grills are avalible to order call 1800 842 8789

Originally Posted by crossfire crossdresser
Hi if you or from Chris on ebay you will be ordering from Chassis Tech the manufacturer of the grills. if you ordered from Don you will not recieve the grill because he was getting the grills from us and we no longer sell to him due to his unprofessional business tactics and false copywrite claims to ebay resulting to loss orders due to 24 hold put on auctions for investigation of said claims which were found to be untrue...
Regardless of who owns or made the final fit for the design - You made a bad business decision when you decided to cut Don from the supply chain. I can see that you are upset and that says to me that there is a lot of truth to what Don has been saying. It was obvious that you used his photo from his website. That's just bad mojo man. At the very least you could have filled his remaining orders so he could take care of members on the forum.

80% of your business will come from members of this forum - I suggest you make up with Don - come to some agreement or loose a lot of potential business. Don has been truthful and never balked or really even bad mouthed you. He made refunds for the outstanding orders that you would not fill for him and said he was moving on.

Shame on you!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Chris works for a company that sells truck parts online. The information to all your questions are posted in detail on posts here in other threads. There is a chronology of exactly what has happened. I don't plan to spend any of my time responding. I note that Chris has now come on the Forum, which is exactly what they said they would do. Do whatever you want to do, I really don't care. I might add that other forum members who know me have been aware of what has happened from the start. I've been cut out and can't change that but I don't plan to spend time responding to Chris or anyone else from the company. In my view, what they have done is unethical and in poor taste. That's all I have to say. If anyone wants to buy from them, have at it. You won't be buying from me but, they are not to use my photos.

Last edited by donoutwest; 12-07-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was on the Christmas list, IS NOT ANYMORE, I think you under shot your 80% of the business from here I would say more like 90% mostly from the word of DON not this D0UCHE who posted like 15 times in a row. Does he think that's going to help get his lie across I also hope Ebay bans them. He is a D bag for not filling the orders regardless of how the story goes that you brought back to them, he is a D bag for even thinking he is going to get a warm welcome showing up here. I hope a moderator blocks his ip address and login name, lets just move on from this. Don if it is indeed your design and you have spent the time and money on it, take it off your car, take it to another fab shop, get some of these bad boys built up ready to ship, and let the 90% of business you deserve come to you.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 PM

If the Forum wants to deal with this petty stuff have at it. I won't dignify it with a response. They are here now because eBay has taken action their listings using my photos and this is the only place they can go to sell. My efforts from here on will be on developing a grill that I think responds to what we want. This grill is a nice one but I won't get into bickering over it. They can sell it all they want.

Last edited by donoutwest; 12-06-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: donoutwest is giving everyone on this forum false info

Originally Posted by crossfire crossdresser
Don Dixon didn't design or develop this grill nor does he have any type of copyright. Chassis Tech designed, developed and has been manufacturing these grills since December 15 2006. If anyone would like to see this paper work trail I will be glad to email it. Don simply placed an order with us 2 months ago and was too impatient to wait for us to locate our fixture THAT WAS MADE IN DECEMBER OF '06 so we had him bring his car in and we made them and put them on his car at which time he stated he wanted to sell them on his CROSSFIRE FORUM. Don found this grill on our site airbagit.com and came to us with the picture he printed off our site wanting to purchase it. We are sorry he dooped everyone here in this forum into thinking that we've wronged him when infact with his false representations and accusations towards us on here and to eBay has caused the loss of orders which eBay lifted the hold on the orders after investigating and finding that Don was infact just one of our customers. Everyone on this forum has only heard his side of his story which is not true. Some of you have sent e-mails to us bashing us and even calling Chris names all based on Dons misrepresentation. We are in the process of pursuing this legally and if any of you would still like these grills we will give them to you at the price we were SELLING them to him $429 for the upper and the 2 lowers. 480-668-5448 ask for Chris and mentions this forum to get the special price other wise normal retail is $628 for upper and lowers. We have been manufacturing quality auto aftermarket parts for 22 years now and have had people try to pull this before to no avail...thanks for your time.
THANK YOU! I HEARD YOU TWICE THE FIRST TIME! It sounds to me like you made a bad business decision by refusing to supply them to crossfiregrills.com. So, you see someone else selling a lot of a grill that you have been unable to move and got greedy. That's really all there is to it. You're greedy and got the backlash you deserved. I'm not saying either party is more or less to blame, but you made the choice to screw him out of greed and use his photographs. I understand that you have the rights to the design, but doesn't mean you have the right to shutdown someone elses business because you can take it for yourself. Blame can be seen on both sides, but you acted in very poor taste and it only goes to show that your customers mean nothing to you. I wanted one of these grills, but I won't be buying from either party at this point.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Forum Regular

i'm no lawyer but if the blueprints and design are not patented your basically s.o.l., i personally think the grille looks tacky, and isn't worth the mb for a thread. imho.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:46 AM

I sent a question to Chris regarding the product on eBay and got what seems like a pretty polite and well reasoned response. It still sounds like Don is mostly pissed off about the pictures and I don't think that concerns anyone but them. Based on what I read from Don here, it doesn't seem like he was involved in the design of the grille so much as just tweaking it a little and it sounds like he would admit that himself. Honestly, maybe some of you know Don, but I don't really. Seems like a right fine chappy, but even the best of us can occassionally be involved in a misunderstanding, and I really think that's what this is. I can't really fault Chris for being ticked off a little. If someone were actively trying to assassinate my character, I think I'd be mad also. And I can also see why Don is ticked off. If I felt that I had an arrangement with someone and had put time and effort into it only to have it pulled out from under my feet... yep, that'd **** me off. So... yeah, I don't know that there's a right answer here for those of us who don't really know what happened and exactly what was said.

I think I think that if you really like the grille, get one. Chris isn't going to get rich selling a few of them. And it's not like he doesn't have an established enterprise selling such items, so there's no reason to suspect that he's going to purposefully screw anyone who buys one. And honestly, there are so few decent products available for our car. I don't think we should write someone off over some potentially 'borrowed' internet photos of their own product. If you're on the fence... wait and see what Don comes up with next. Perhaps he will achieve the holy grail of grillness.

Thank you for listening while I talk myself through that. Lol. Best of luck to everyone involved. Perhaps this little discussion will be good for the community of Crossfire owners if it results in Don going out and developing yet another good option for our cars. Thank you for your efforts!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 AM

I would say that the above statement by XFiringInNC is reasonable. I have never, on the Forum or elsewhere, said that this was not a good product or that people should not buy it. That is up to each person. Nor have I said that I owned the design. As for a new grill, I really don't know about that. As you know, that undertaking is time consuming and possibly expensive. At this point, I will take a break for the whole grill thing. I had a disagreement and unfortunate experience but I don't plan to carry that around, it's not worth it. Best wishes to all of you.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:02 AM

For sure, Don. I tried to get one made a couple months ago and man, it was like I had asked people to shave Santa Claus or something. I think if we're going to get one made, someone's going to have to put some skin in the game and purchase a number of them for sale at the start. That was what all the fabricators seemed to want.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:16 PM

I am very happy to say that I received my grill, from Don, and enjoyed excellent customer service and a very high quality product. And, I can't help to think that if Don did not push for the grills to be fabricated, we would not have ever seen them. I highly doubt they would be appearing on Ebay right now. And if they were, where would they get a picture of it on a Crossfire...
Oh, and welcome the forum (finally) Chris...

Old 12-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Forum Regular

Haha, just when I thought we had a legitimate grille and a legitimate place to buy them, the Crossfire snake bites again.

The grille idea is jinxed.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Don, I'm going to need you to make a wire mesh lower grill, I will be mounting an oil cooler down there, so I need the airflow. hook us up.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Forum Regular

Ditto!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:10 AM

As others have said, there are not many grill options out there for the Crossfire. I wouldn't want any of the past disagreements between me and my supplier to keep owners from ordering it directly from him if they want the grill. I am referring those who contact me on to him so they can order the grill if they want it. Best wishes to all for the Holiday Season!

Quick Reply: Something Forum Members Can Do About Crossfire Grills Copyright Violation