Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

There must be a way... Green is no good!?!

Old 08-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default There must be a way... Green is no good!?!

There just has to be a way to change ALL interior lights from green to a more favorable color in my case red...? I lack the knowledge of electronics, but can you fellas point me in the right direction of where and how it can be done...?

I am sure I am not the only one that though of this, but possibly am the only one that is willing enough to make this a reality... the question is how?

Old 08-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Re: There must be a way... Green is no good!?!

Green is a great color. if you use the high intensity LED's. Check out my gallery.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...0/ppuser/12141

Old 08-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Default Re: There must be a way... Green is no good!?!

Sidez...yeah there is a way...I've seen places that offer color change kits for a lot of vehicles (of course our XFs are never involved)...what it all comes down to is swapping out all the LEDs and other bulbs with whatever color you prefer...get a lighting schematic and check the bulb part numbers etc...some things also might require a bit of transparent colored overlay to color match...I've heard of people popping open their radios and placing tissue paper or colored transparent tape to blend and color match...

I'm no expert in this obviously...but I had tooled around online before just to see if it could be done when I was contemplating a Mustang...I too hate green...especially the green in the XF...I'd prefer a blue/green if anything (a'la GMs)...

Good luck...I'll poke around a bit today since it looks like rain...I'll let ya know if I find anything...

Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 PM

i feel the same about the green. i've read that might be able to use MB panel in the XF. if anyone can confirm this i would love to know. im looking to use white or blue myself...i would really like to get rid of the green.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Forum Regular

Green is pretty lame I agree... I had an older Intrepid I changed the bulbs to red ones but the blue/green tinting on the back of the gauges blocks a lot of light from the red bulbs and made them light up like purplish red and they were not bright at all. LED's may work though...

Old 08-27-2007, 05:14 PM

I guess I might be the only one that dances a jig that the interiors are green? Lol. That was one of the reasons I haven't bought an audi all these years. I'm color blind and the reds just kill me. Hmm, who would have guessed?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Forum Regular

typically the green is actually an underlay, ie a transparent green film behind the letters and numbers or it paint behind an opaque white. if it is in fact an underlay you can remove it and use red tint film found at most parts stores. when i used to tune vws a lot of guys would do this for the full on euro colour code everything look. now if its paint you have to lightly may i please stress lightly sand the paint off with somewhere around 600 grit or higher its very thin, then repaint with the color you desire. but only one thin coat maybe 2 or the light won't shine through. use a flash light behind the gauges to determine when enough is enough and i don't mean a 6 d cell mag light. now if it is a colored bulb... i'm not going there lol. this is just from my experiences may not be what mb uses never took one apart before hope that's some help!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by irwin
typically the green is actually an underlay, ie a transparent green film behind the letters and numbers or it paint behind an opaque white. if it is in fact an underlay you can remove it and use red tint film found at most parts stores. when i used to tune vws a lot of guys would do this for the full on euro colour code everything look. now if its paint you have to lightly may i please stress lightly sand the paint off with somewhere around 600 grit or higher its very thin, then repaint with the color you desire. but only one thin coat maybe 2 or the light won't shine through. use a flash light behind the gauges to determine when enough is enough and i don't mean a 6 d cell mag light. now if it is a colored bulb... i'm not going there lol. this is just from my experiences may not be what mb uses never took one apart before hope that's some help!
You don't make it sound so bad.. I don't think it used color bulbs it is probably either film... or painted on... in which case all I have to do is remove the panels and make minor adjustments? if this is it why has no one else done as so many don't like the green...? hm...

Probably the same for the speedo also?

And BCThomas everyone has their opinion and I feel completely opposite about the audi red... that's exactly what I want...!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM

just got my XF and i'm searching for an anwer to change the color. thanks for the info irwin and Sidez let me know if its a film or paint. as i stated before i have thought about changing to a MB dash cluster. white faces and lights red. but that leaves the center still green. but if irwins info works then it will open up tons of colors for everyone...let me know how it works out.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 AM

I think SRT-SIX should have a good answer to this as he has removed the instrument cluster a few times and I am sure he has gotten a good luck at what exactly makes up the color... Audi red sounds very very nice...

Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Life is random...so am I.

You guys just dislike green...I HATE GREEN!

If I knew of a way to change it I would in a second!

My fear is that it's a tinted film embedded into the backside of the instrument cluster.

GO BLUE!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:18 PM

well apkano, i'm with you on the cool colors. ez to drive with them.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Forum Regular

like i said this is what i have dealt with in the past and being as the numbers are white when the lights are off it should be one of the 2 with white leds behind... i want to redo mine as well with white gauges and black numbers that light up red but i just haven't had time to deal with it lately with the whole grille thing... one project at a time ya know... maybe i'll get even more fed up with the g.d. grille as i now refer to it and just do that so i can accomplish something for once lol! of course that could turn into a nightmare as well who knows lmfao!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:08 AM

this is on my long list of things to do for the car... I WILL get this handled.. it is just that there are so many things I can get done with the car in the amount of time I have...

Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

I love the green, matches my Kenwood KnA m700 and my Xbox and 360 lights!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MAYAman
I love the green, matches my Kenwood KnA m700 and my Xbox and 360 lights!
You might want to have some red lights standing by in case you get the dreaded red circle of death!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobs
You might want to have some red lights standing by in case you get the dreaded red circle of death!

I love it! Nice.

Someone figure this out. I'm just gonna take it to Al & Ed's Autosound and see what they have to say!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by iDriveX
I love it! Nice.

Someone figure this out. I'm just gonna take it to Al & Ed's Autosound and see what they have to say!
are you talking about changing the interior colors to a different color?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well... if you want to change all of them be prepared for a big job.
Each button/switch has its own bulbs and green laminate for the picture.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 PM

I have never been a big fan of the green either. My favorite is the bright white LEDs that lexus uses. The Jeep grand cherokee and commander now have them also. They stay on all the time and when you turn the car off the gauge cluster is all black. I think it looks really good and modern.

Quick Reply: There must be a way... Green is no good!?!