Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Replacing rear-side marker bulbs

Old 03-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear-side marker bulbs

Saw Andrew's sticky about the part #s thanks for the info Andrew!

My right rear light is out so before attempting to replace I had a few questions for peeps who may have performed this already:
  • Can I just pull the bulb & wiring assembly through the rubber seal through the panel in the trunk area? I found where it runs to but I didn't want to just 'yank it' if there was any kind of damage that could be done to the housing or assembly, any tips would be appreciated.
  • Where is the best place to get a replacement? Can I get it through a Murray's or Autozone or do I have to go through the dealer?
  • If this turns out to be a wiring harness issue, is that something that can be done relatively easily by a diy or am I better off taking it to the dealer?

Last edited by slide93; 03-26-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Default Re: Replacing rear-side marker bulbs

NM...it worked 'almost' like it said in the manual...just using a minimal amount of elbow grease pushing towards the rear of the car and it popped right out.

Has anyone else had alot of their bulbs fail? There are alot of separate lights on this car and I've had to replace 3 of them. '04 coupe with 42k miles that stays garaged in winter. Not a big deal but it's not something I'm used to...my '98 Wrangler has 120k on it and I've only ever replaced one headlight...once!

I was concerned it may be an wiring harness issue because I could actually 'Fonzie' each light that went out (with a light rap on the light housing) and they would go back on for a while before they eventually failed. The bulbs were definitely burnt out when I replaced them...weird.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every Damn Other Week A Bulb Has Gone Out On Mine!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by RIOT
Every Damn Other Week A Bulb Has Gone Out On Mine!
Me too , I am "constantly" replacing bulbs....3out 0f 4 sidemarker bulbs were ut . The front ones were easy after a little exploring . Have'nt yet figured out how to get the back oes out . Looks like a different method for the back ones. Any help?

Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by slide93
NM...it worked 'almost' like it said in the manual...just using a minimal amount of elbow grease pushing towards the rear of the car and it popped right out.

Has anyone else had alot of their bulbs fail? There are alot of separate lights on this car and I've had to replace 3 of them. '04 coupe with 42k miles that stays garaged in winter. Not a big deal but it's not something I'm used to...my '98 Wrangler has 120k on it and I've only ever replaced one headlight...once!

I was concerned it may be an wiring harness issue because I could actually 'Fonzie' each light that went out (with a light rap on the light housing) and they would go back on for a while before they eventually failed. The bulbs were definitely burnt out when I replaced them...weird.
I have only had two headlight bulbs go out on my old '04 and they ran for about 17,000 miles and always on because of the DTRLs. I replaced them with HIDs. I'd say that's not bad, they went out within two weeks of each other.
I have not replaced any other bulbs.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-21-2013 at 12:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sussudio (10-07-2021)
Old 11-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fastrg
Me too , I am "constantly" replacing bulbs....3out 0f 4 sidemarker bulbs were ut . The front ones were easy after a little exploring . Have'nt yet figured out how to get the back oes out . Looks like a different method for the back ones. Any help?
They slide backward I'm thinking.
REAR MARKER LAMP
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Insert a trim stick (2) at the front edge of the rear marker
lamp lens (1), gently depress rearward and lift out from the
fascia.
3. Rotate the socket counterclockwise and remove the rear
marker lamp bulb from the socket.

The fronts are identically removed but they are moved forward.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-21-2013 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MFDXF (05-28-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to replace the left rear marker bulb on my 2005 limited coupe.
Why are people talking about using needle nose pliers, 10 mm wrench etc?

Old 10-07-2021, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastrg
Originally Posted by slide93

Have any of you checked your main grounds around where said bulbs are always burning out? Also would be a good time to do this mod for the grounding issue that has plagued many a XF and its owner for years: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ispreloading=1

Old 10-07-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by M SL 65
I have to replace the left rear marker bulb on my 2005 limited coupe.
Why are people talking about using needle nose pliers, 10 mm wrench etc?
Because they are talking about the front ones.