Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Old 03-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Originally Posted by Idaho
radmanly,

Basically, I used the Popsicle stick like andrew did with the credit card. However, the wood grips the rubber weather stripping better then plastic and give you more area to compress the rubber toward the outside channel so you can roll the edge with the ridges down into the channel. I hope this helps. Once you get the technique down it is quite easy it getting the technique down that is hard.
Thanks! I'll try some popsicle sticks and see how it goes.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:56 PM

I use an English product for rust killing/sealing/proofing called Waxoyl. I spray it in all contested areas...works well. I have used it for years in MG's, Sunbeams and etc.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:57 PM

Thank you so much for the post. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! My xfire is black and i see bubbles in this spot. Thank you for pointing out. Glad it's not a white color paint! Freaks me out to see rust on my baby. What's the best product i can use to clear it up and STOP the cancer? I live in canada, (winter stored)and prefer to buy at a local store. What should i ask for? I stopped at Canadian Tire and didn't see a product matching my needs.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, just got back from the dealer today... I made them check the rust in the doors, after 2 months of waiting the regional rep. looked at it and came to the conclusion that both doors needed to be replaced, or they could attempt to touch it up for a temp fix... but the rust warranty is good till 100,000 miles. I'm leaning towards the temp fix, because if I do any thing to it the warranty is void... so they say. What do you guys think!? They're going to call me Monday.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the temp. fix! Have their body shop clean out the paint and rust, then mix up some West Systems resin with microballoons, and mix in the color pigment. This will out last the car.

http://www.westsystem.com/

Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 PM

replace the doors

Old 06-01-2007, 09:48 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by old man
replace the doors
I'm with the old man on this one.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 PM

I wouldn't replace the doors yet, first of all we know Chrysler dealers ain't worth a sh*t when it comes to fixing the Crossfire. If you want your paint chiped up and scratched by grease monkey's and under paid body men, then go for it... not to mention all your original parts will have to be reinstalled, who knows if they can do that correctly.

I have the same issue with door rust on my car, and there's no way in hell that I'm gonna let my 5 star Chrysler dealer touche my doors! I would be shocked if they can get the doors hung straight enough to match the body lines.

Last edited by Maxwell; 06-01-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:17 PM

i think you are wrong maxwell new is better than repair the will have to back up the repair

Old 06-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
I wouldn't replace the doors yet, first of all we know Chrysler dealers ain't worth a sh*t when it comes to fixing the Crossfire. If you want your paint chiped up and scratched by grease monkey's and under paid body men, then go for it... not to mention all your original parts will have to be reinstalled, who knows if they can do that correctly.

I have the same issue with door rust on my car, and there's no way in hell that I'm gonna let my 5 star Chrysler dealer touche my doors! I would be shocked if they can get the doors hung straight enough to match the body lines.
I agree with you Maxwell, not saying I don't agree with the rest of you... but if the temp fix doesn't work then I will replace the doors as a last resort. The dealer said I could replace the doors anytime under the warranty so I just figured that I'd try waiting out replacing the doors as longs as possible mostly because of the reasons Maxwell listed (door hung straight, disassembly, reassembly, etc.). I will let everyone know what my final decison and the outcome.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Maxwell, especially if they said you can get the door replaced at anytime in the future. (just get it in writing). If you cars windows seal well, and the door closes the way it should, why take a chance of them screwing it up. Besides, they probably couldn't match your paint either.
The temp fix (if it's done like Andrew did his) should fix the problem permanently.
What really astonishes me, is they said it's covered under warranty. Usually "surface rust" isn't.
Your case should be documented for future reference on this forum. So when others try to get their dealers to do the same for them, all they have to do is bring up your paper work just in case their dealers are unwilling to do anything about it.
Thanks to you, a precedent has now been established.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by 04Fire
I agree with you Maxwell, not saying I don't agree with the rest of you... but if the temp fix doesn't work then I will replace the doors as a last resort. The dealer said I could replace the doors anytime under the warranty so I just figured that I'd try waiting out replacing the doors as longs as possible mostly because of the reasons Maxwell listed (door hung straight, disassembly, reassembly, etc.). I will let everyone know what my final decision and the outcome.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Don't forget, after about 100,000 miles on the car, most likely you will have acquired your fair share in door dings. Why get new doors now, when you can get them later after it's been broken in by all the thoughtful, caring motorist and their grocery carts.

The car also chips easily, especially the front bumper, you will eventually have to have the bumper painted in the future due to high speed rock chips. Might as well do it all in one shot right before rust warrantee expires.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
What really astonishes me, is they said it's covered under warranty. Usually "surface rust" isn't.
Your case should be documented for future reference on this forum. So when others try to get their dealers to do the same for them, all they have to do is bring up your paper work just in case their dealers are unwilling to do anything about it.
Thanks to you, a precedent has now been established.
fireamx, that is my main goal... to help push this along for others in the same boat as myself! I will let everyone know how everything is done and when everything is done.

Maxwell, that's what I was thinking!

THANKS EVERYONE!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
I haven't had time to fix my rust so I went ahead and cut the lower weather strip out, so that no more water moisture could settle and cause further damage. This might be a good idea after the por15, I'm not sure how good a seal that stuff makes.

The weather strip is the real problem, get rid of it. I have no issues with water entering the car or wind noise.
Maxwell, How is the car since you took the weatherstripping out. Do you have air leaks? Is any water coming in the car?

Thanks -

Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by hudsonc8
Maxwell, How is the car since you took the weather-stripping out. Do you have air leaks? Is any water coming in the car?

Thanks -
no air leaks and no water leaks either, but water from condensation in the mornings might be an issue, as I've noticed without the weather strip seal in place, only after I wash the car is there water sitting in the metal channel, but at least now the seal doesn't hold the water in the channel and cause further rust.
Now all I do after a car wash is wipe out the metal channel or blow it out with compressed air, the rust has stopped, but I will be removing the paint in the channel and filling it with a resin and microballoon mix, so that the water has no place to settle.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM

UPDATE: Service postponed until next Thursday...

Old 06-16-2007, 05:41 PM

I got my baby back yesterday! They did both doors at a cost of just under $400, of course the dealer picked up the tab. I have to say that the doors look like new... I can't even tell where the new paint and old paint meet! As you can probably tell I'm very happy.

NOTE: This was a first attempt at fixing the rust issue without replacing the doors.
Below are the after pics:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rust1.JPG (201.8 KB, 149 views)
Rust2.JPG (145.6 KB, 145 views)
Rust3.JPG (230.9 KB, 102 views)
Rust4.JPG (161.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I can see how this thread could be a real turn off for anybody contemplating the purchase of a Crossfire in the future...
Maybe too late? I just found this thread today but bought my car yesterday. I'm flying up to Chicago tomorrow to take delivery and, thanks to Andrew, will look into this problem area before handing over the cash.

I'm really curious about how the inventory reduction cars (like mine) might be affected by this. Ain't no tellin' where these cars were sitting during the past year or so.

Either way, unless mine is absolutely horrifying, I expect to be really happy with my SRT-6.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

I just recently learned of this concern at the Woodward Dream Cruise meet in Michigan. I have a '04 Coupe owned by only one previous owner.
I pulled the rubber back on the bottom of my doors and was pleased to find no rust evident. This car has been driven in the Chicago area from it's first mile. The previous owner took good care of this car. I have to reach him again and find out if he was a member in our forum.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:05 AM

This should be a sticky forum. I'm checking tomorrow for sure and will most likely find rust. My car was driven in the snow and salt during Michigan winters. I have been cleaning salt and debris out of every imaginable crack and seem since I bought the car. It was a corporate lease car.

Quick Reply: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...