Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Illuminated Door Sills

Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illuminated Door Sills

Has anyone taken apart an illuminated door sill to see how difficult it would be to change the color, or if it can be changed? I don't want blue, which, as everyone knows, is the only color available.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Illuminated Door Sills

This is not what you want to hear, but my blue sills are awesome! I have the Aero blue roadster, and I couldn't be happier. Love the look...however, if you don't like blue, I don't know what options you have. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Illuminated Door Sills

Originally Posted by Copernicus
Has anyone taken apart an illuminated door sill to see how difficult it would be to change the color, or if it can be changed? I don't want blue, which, as everyone knows, is the only color available.
There is a thread on this:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ted+door+sills

Old 08-31-2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Copernicus
I did, they are very easy to take apart. The hardest thing to deal with in regards to these door sills is the justification of the $400 I spent on them.

The metal stripping is held in place by two very thin strips of double sided auto trim tape. You can slip a razor blade inbetween the plastic molding and the metal stripping and cut it without damaging either piece.

The problem with the green sills is that I haven't been able to find "green enough" EL panels. You can find many colors of EL panels on ebay, but the "green" ones are the color of the old indiglo watches (really blue-green). where as the door sills as they come are a rich blue color, which looks much better than indiglo.

But hey, there's also white, red, yellow, purple and a few other colors to choose from.

If you want a source for replacement EL panels to put in the door sills, check this guy out.

http://stores.ebay.com/Lumi-Line

These are the closest fit I found and would require the least trimming (of the EL panel itself).

Old 09-01-2006, 03:01 AM

That's been my reason for hesitating, spending the money to find out I can't change the color, besides screwing it up so it wouldn't work at all. Sure, I could go ahead and keep the blue color if it couldn't be changed, but that's not what I want. We all try to be different and customize to our tastes and desires. If it is as easy as it sounds, I have to wonder why more people haven't done it. There seems to be a number of owners with illuminated sills. Everyone must be content with blue. Not that I dislike blue, I just want to match the interior.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:51 AM

Well... Here's a picture of how far you can get without color filters.
Notice the rich blue color that the sill come in, which is probably why not too many people have tried to switch.

The EL panel next to the door sills is the color of "green" EL panels (really indiglo blue-green).

But there is some green light emitting from it, so it would be possible to get these panels to appear an almost true green with a color filter. Whereas the stock blue EL panels emit almost no green light, hence why people failed at making them appear green.

If you want to purchase the door sills, but are afraid to ruin them, first practice on your original (non-illuminated) sills. They are nearly identical in construction.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:02 PM

does $400 cover the cost for one of them or two of them?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&subcat1=93763

Old 09-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Forum Regular

I bought mine for about that amount. It's for two. I was able to sell my original sills on ebay. I got about $80 for my originals. I did have the dealer install them, but others have been able to do this on their own. I have no mechanical know-how.

The sills look great. They are just so pretty with my Aeroblue roadster. I couldn't be happier.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by golfergal
I bought mine for about that amount. It's for two. I was able to sell my original sills on ebay. I got about $80 for my originals. I did have the dealer install them, but others have been able to do this on their own. I have no mechanical know-how.

The sills look great. They are just so pretty with my Aeroblue roadster. I couldn't be happier.

Good luck!
hey thanks!

how much did the dealership charge you for the install?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Illuminated Door Sills

got mine in 3 weeks ago. $80 to the dealer and $385 for the sills. they look hot!!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:27 PM

so did you just print them the instructions? i mean i don't see why a dealership would do custom work... i don't think mine ever would?!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Forum Regular

I think I was charged about $80...it was included in my oil change and I paid $180.00 for oil, filter etc...that included tax. There are instructions on line for the install. Check this website. However, they are only picture, no words and it I wouldn't attempt to do this on my own. However, others have done the install and said it wasn't hard. I remember someone posting a thread about installing and how it worked for them.

It's here somewhere.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Illuminated Door Sills

Originally Posted by nitro4
so did you just print them the instructions? i mean i don't see why a dealership would do custom work... i don't think mine ever would?!
It is not custom work, its a Mopar part it took my Tech about an hour to install.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed mine today, did it at home with minimal tools.
It took 25 min from start to finish.

That is not true, after they were done I stood and stared at them for at least 15 min.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:19 PM

I have a new set in the box, I'm not sure if I want to install them or not. The car is black and I've debaged almost the entire car. I like people not knowing what this thing is.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by my65cuda
I have a new set in the box, I'm not sure if I want to install them or not. The car is black and I've debaged almost the entire car. I like people not knowing what this thing is.
What color do yours illuminate?

Old 09-05-2006, 02:14 AM

Yeah, they take almost no time to install if you do it yourself. There's only 3 connections you have to make and they are all in the same wiring harness. However the instructions state that you need a torx 10 screw driver, however check the screws, they are much smaller than a T-10.

I was able to complete the install without the removing the screws shown in the instructions, however it would've saved maybe 10-15 minutes if I had.

Just make sure you do it when no one is around. I was out in the hot AZ sun for 3 hours answering questions from curious on-lookers, when the job would've taken a half hour otherwise.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jpristel
Yeah, they take almost no time to install if you do it yourself. There's only 3 connections you have to make and they are all in the same wiring harness. However the instructions state that you need a torx 10 screw driver, however check the screws, they are much smaller than a T-10.

I was able to complete the install without the removing the screws shown in the instructions, however it would've saved maybe 10-15 minutes if I had.

Just make sure you do it when no one is around. I was out in the hot AZ sun for 3 hours answering questions from curious on-lookers, when the job would've taken a half hour otherwise.
Weird, mine was only 2 wires at the harness by the passenger side (left) a pillar, plug the connectors into the sills and that was about it.
I needed no torx driver just a 10mm socked to loosen the center console to sneak the driver side (right) wire behind it.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by stryfox
Weird, mine was only 2 wires at the harness by the passenger side (left) a pillar, plug the connectors into the sills and that was about it.
I needed no torx driver just a 10mm socked to loosen the center console to sneak the driver side (right) wire behind it.
Maybe they changed the install, but mine had to connect to the switch on each door and then to power.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:55 PM

I got my door sills for $311. I got them from www.newchryslerparts.com. I received them a few days after I placed the order. I have a base model so I had to paint mine black to match the rest of the black interior, and they look great! Everyone is blown away by them and says they are the coolest thing they have seen, when they open the door at night. This was the best upgrade so far. They look good during the day as well even though you can't see them light up. Took 10 min. to install.

Quick Reply: Illuminated Door Sills