Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Car hesitates as clutch is depressed

Old 03-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car hesitates as clutch is depressed

I just bought a black '05 on Saturday, and I LOVE the car. I am having a problem with the transmission/clutch however. I am going to bring it into the dealership since I finally noticed the FSS is showing -174 on the display, and insist they give me a free oil change, but onto my problem. As I am driving, when I depress the clutch, the car jerks like it is not getting fuel for a split second, and the car shudders from the quick deceleration. But a split second later, everything is normal. And if I "bounce" my foot on the clutch pedal, not far enough to start disengaging the clutch, it will jump everytime I press it down. Has anybody had a problem like this or have any idea what I may be so I can be a little more educated on this before I go to the dealer? I am a newbie, and I have spent a lot of time looking for something regarding this, and have found nothing, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car hesitates as clutch is depressed

The only hesitation that I've noticed is that as I depress the clutch the car bogs down as if it is a lot heavier than it really is. My old camaro (which weighed over 500 lbs heavier) didn't feel quite as heavy when it comes to getting this car rolling.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Forum Regular

There is a switch that is connected to the clutch pedal. As you depress the clutch it does something to the power train control module that reduces the power from the engine. The way to avoid it is to fully lift off the gas before depressing the clutch. Good timing goes a long way while driving this car. Totally normal.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by knowit
There is a switch that is connected to the clutch pedal. As you depress the clutch it does something to the power train control module that reduces the power from the engine. The way to avoid it is to fully lift off the gas before depressing the clutch. Good timing goes a long way while driving this car. Totally normal.
My wife's car does this. I noticed it today. It did it several times.

I will be taking it in to be checked out. I've owned many cars with manual transmissions and never had one cut out like that or hesitate going into the next gear. It's annoying, but I'll try what you suggest and see if that helps.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd
My wife's car does this. I noticed it today. It did it several times.

I will be taking it in to be checked out. I've owned many cars with manual transmissions and never had one cut out like that or hesitate going into the next gear. It's annoying, but I'll try what you suggest and see if that helps.
That is the same problem that I have been having. My Silvia was butter smooth. I've got the timing of the xf down, but sometimes i get lazy while driving and I'm off a little, and the engine cuts the power, and it will throw me out of gear while i'm in the middle of shifting. if anyone knows if you can de-program this from the computer, that would be great.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCrossFire6spd
That is the same problem that I have been having. My Silvia was butter smooth. I've got the timing of the xf down, but sometimes i get lazy while driving and I'm off a little, and the engine cuts the power, and it will throw me out of gear while i'm in the middle of shifting. if anyone knows if you can de-program this from the computer, that would be great.
I'm with you. I've found that most of the time it's from my clutch foot resting on the clutch. If I concentrate on taking it off, it doesn't seem to do it. It's never thrown me out of gear, but it's annoying. Every car I've ever had was a manual and I've never dealt with something this precise. I've driven Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Mazdas, many trucks and other things. I guess this car is just that picky! Still a blast to drive!

Old 07-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular

It's designed to prevent shattering drivelines by abusing the clutch. It's normal. Working on your timing is the key to stopping this.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BlackCrossFire6spd
I thought it was just me. Most days I've got the timing, but I've got to say it's taking more than other cars to get the hang of it. My biggest problem is 1st to 2nd. Start with the fact that this is the notchiest transition...and if I hesitate at all I've missed the shift and have to double clutch it. However, when my timing is on...oh how sweet. And that's what I live for.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:06 AM

Ours is typically 4th to 5th or rd to 4th. Every other gear is fine.

It seems to have calmed down since I remember to take my foot off the clutch now, instead of resting on it.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:50 PM

I have an update on this issue. I recently brought my car to te dealership for some warranty work which required the tech to test drive the car. Apparently he noticed the same thing that I did, and it is fixed now! The car does still back off power when the clutch is depressed, but it is MUCH smoother than it used to be. I also had bogging when I would drop to second coming out of a turn, and now it doesn't. My car now drives the way it is supposed to drive, which is amazing! If anyone is having similar problems, take a tech for a test drive with you and point it out to him, and they should be able to fix it. I can't get an answer from my dealership for what they did to correct this, but if my service writer finds out, he'll let me know, and I will post it here.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

mine did it too, it's not normal, if you've put alot of miles on your crossfire and know it very well you'll detect it - it's a cam shaft sensor, controls timing etc, it only gets worse if you ignore it... its visible right on the front of the engine, lots of them coming loose, dirty, etc... mine was fried, caused the whole car to shake and misfire eventually.