Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Air con not working

Old 06-13-2021, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air con not working

Hi all, I have a stock 2004 coupe, the air con is not blowing cold at all, had it serviced but still no cold air, compressor clutch works fine when air con selected, disconnecting the pressure switch switches it off ok and back on when refitted, the off loaded torque of the compressor wheel when spun by hand feels quite low despite system charged and the same as the used compressor I have in the garage. Everything seems to point to the compressor just not pumping the gas around, perhaps the drive has sheared? I would expect compressor to lock up if failed but perhaps they are designed to shear if seized? The car was sat for around 8 years before I got it and the air con has never worked for me.

Any ideas before I change the compressor? Thanks guys, Marvo.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:04 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Air con not working

Originally Posted by marvo
Hi all, I have a stock 2004 coupe, the air con is not blowing cold at all, had it serviced but still no cold air, compressor clutch works fine when air con selected, disconnecting the pressure switch switches it off ok and back on when refitted, the off loaded torque of the compressor wheel when spun by hand feels quite low despite system charged and the same as the used compressor I have in the garage. Everything seems to point to the compressor just not pumping the gas around, perhaps the drive has sheared? I would expect compressor to lock up if failed but perhaps they are designed to shear if seized? The car was sat for around 8 years before I got it and the air con has never worked for me.

Any ideas before I change the compressor? Thanks guys, Marvo.
Does it blow warm air or ambient temperature air, are the two heater valves closing off properly? Does the engine fan start up when the AC is selected?

Old 06-13-2021, 11:10 AM

Fan fires up when AC selected, heater control valves working ok, when I feel the LP and LP lines from the compressor they are ambient temperature they don't cool down one bit so I am thinking no flow from the compressor.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:49 AM

the mechanic tried to make current directly from the battery to the compressor and does not start the same. according to him he insists that the compressor is wrong. you think?

Old 07-05-2021, 08:51 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by marvo
Fan fires up when AC selected, heater control valves working ok, when I feel the LP and LP lines from the compressor they are ambient temperature they don't cool down one bit so I am thinking no flow from the compressor.
Before replacing the compressor I would wire it directly to the fuse to see if the clutch engages.
it could be many different sensors or pressure. Pizza guy listed them on a different thread.