Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Another limp along car.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another limp along car.

The check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago and still seemed to run pretty well...until I needed to go up a high slope. It still made it but when pushing on the accelerator the car didn't go any faster.

I don't need to drive the car frequently but yesterday was the last straw since I couldn't get it to go over 50mph. I went to AutoZone (thanks to my daughter's suggestion) and had a guy use the test gizmo and it came up with P0412-Secondary Air Injection Valve Circuit. And P0135 & P0155 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1 & Bank 2 Sensor 1).

I've installed the two new sensors and the light doesn't go out. I checked out a place saying that doesn't always mean it hasn't been fixed. I've tried the easiest one which was to start engine three times. No change.

I'd like to get the rear situation fixed before lowering the car, but when I do I'll take it for a drive. Another fix was to remove one of the cables to the battery but then it needs to start from ground zero and takes time to get back in the groove, so to speak.

Or...should I also get the P0412-Secondary Air Injection Valve Circuit in any event? It appears as if a bunch of aluminum needs to be removed to get to it.

Comments?

Old 10-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Another limp along car.

Originally Posted by BibaResto
The check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago and still seemed to run pretty well...until I needed to go up a high slope. It still made it but when pushing on the accelerator the car didn't go any faster.

I don't need to drive the car frequently but yesterday was the last straw since I couldn't get it to go over 50mph. I went to AutoZone (thanks to my daughter's suggestion) and had a guy use the test gizmo and it came up with P0412-Secondary Air Injection Valve Circuit. And P0135 & P0155 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1 & Bank 2 Sensor 1).

I've installed the two new sensors and the light doesn't go out. I checked out a place saying that doesn't always mean it hasn't been fixed. I've tried the easiest one which was to start engine three times. No change.

I'd like to get the rear situation fixed before lowering the car, but when I do I'll take it for a drive. Another fix was to remove one of the cables to the battery but then it needs to start from ground zero and takes time to get back in the groove, so to speak.

Or...should I also get the P0412-Secondary Air Injection Valve Circuit in any event? It appears as if a bunch of aluminum needs to be removed to get to it.

Comments?
The air pump does not affect the performance unless there is a leak in the hoses, all the parts are on the front of the engine.
Sounds like a vacuum leak in the engine somewhere.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-30-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular

onehundred80, Yes I meant jack stands.

Assuming there is a vacuum leak in the engine, what Error Codes should come up?

Old 10-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My bet would be on a fuel filter that's getting progressively plugged

Old 10-30-2019, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular

ttmmdd, where does the fuel filter reside? And is there only one filter or two or more?

I've ordered an OBD2 Scanner so will see what comes up.

How rugged are is the fuel-pumps?

Old 10-30-2019, 07:26 PM

The fuel filter and fuel pump are in the wheel well of the right rear tire. Usually you would test the pressure at the fuel rail but at idle you aren't using enough fuel to starve either the pressure or volume of fuel. As a test I would take the car out and put it in low gear and see how many rpms you get before it starts to stall, then go to a higher gear and do the same thin. If the car starts to stall at the same rpm in each gear you can be pretty sure the fuel filter is restricted or the fuel pump is weak.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:44 PM

And I haven't seen one instance of a failed fuel pump in the last 10 months.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:08 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I would suspect the fuel pump before the filter to cause problems, the filter is large and unless you are getting your fuel at some hick garage you should be OK. Environmental concerns have made plastic fuel reservoirs necessary.
Check the fuel pressure or get it checked, I had problems once with an engines performance and it was found to be fuel pressure under 10 psi. A new pump and the problem was solved.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:10 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Comments?

Pardon my simplistic approach, but did you 'reset' the OBD after you replaced the sensors? You didn't say you did that yet.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:37 PM
Forum Regular

Damn! The OS601 OBD11/EOBD scanner was delivered (Amazon) a bit ago. It took me forever to get all of the pins aligned. After turning the ignition on (but not starting car); then pressing the lower right arrow it went to my ViN number along with two very long numbers; I clicked on the upper left Digonistic button and it took me to a readout saying that it isn't connected correctly. It is definitely plugged in correctly. I'd previously got it to turn on but it wasn't pushed in properly, so checked if I'd bent any pins. They were fine.

I've tried everything I can think of but it keeps going back to it's not connected correctly. To repeat, once I got it all lined up correctly it slid on without any undue pressure.

Bad scanner or is there something I'm doing wrong? I've not removed it since it was such a pain to plug-in for me, but the fact it recognized this car tells me it should be working.

What would you do?

Old 10-31-2019, 10:14 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Damn! The OS601 OBD11/EOBD scanner was delivered (Amazon) a bit ago. It took me forever to get all of the pins aligned. After turning the ignition on (but not starting car); then pressing the lower right arrow it went to my ViN number along with two very long numbers; I clicked on the upper left Digonistic button and it took me to a readout saying that it isn't connected correctly. It is definitely plugged in correctly. I'd previously got it to turn on but it wasn't pushed in properly, so checked if I'd bent any pins. They were fine.

I've tried everything I can think of but it keeps going back to it's not connected correctly. To repeat, once I got it all lined up correctly it slid on without any undue pressure.

Bad scanner or is there something I'm doing wrong? I've not removed it since it was such a pain to plug-in for me, but the fact it recognized this car tells me it should be working.

What would you do?

If new, could be a bad scanner. Is this some kind of special niche scanner? Have it replaced and go from there. OBD scanners should work right away and do what they do. Get another scanner and try again, I am willing to bet the scanner is crapola.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Forum Regular

I've written another thread asking, among other things, what is the brand and name of the OBD scanner they are using successfully on their SRT-6.

No one has replied or I've not gotten any emails they have. Please help me out here and list the details of your successful scanner.

The second scanner came and it did the same thing as the first one - it doesn't recognize the scanner.

I've removed the panel from the fuel pump/fuel filter and started the car. With my gizmo which fits in the ears and listens with the rod pressed against the running fuel pump - it sounds perfectly fine with no unusual sounds coming from it.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:51 PM

You need to check your fuel pressure, the pump could be spinning and not putting enough fuel out