Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

How to remove rear drive shafts / rear axles

Old 02-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to remove rear drive shafts / rear axles

Hi I am struggling to find out how to remove the rear drive shafts / rear axles from the differential end as all the info says there are 6 bolts on mine a uk 2003 n/a xf doesn't seem to have anything visibly holding them in place.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How to remove rear drive shafts / rear axles

This should help you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture4.JPG (77.9 KB, 138 views)
Capture5.JPG (69.8 KB, 116 views)
Capture6.JPG (64.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 250 Likes on 190 Posts

1 you have one piece axles
I will try to tell you how
drive shaft ,are you removing or , just taking loose to remove diff?
the flex joint to the drive shaft by 3 bolts,,the flex joint to the drive shaft by 3 bolts you could take off all 6 bolts ,,pry the drive shaft forward about 1 inch and it will drop down. now if you still want to remove the drive shaft remove the center bearing hanger bolts 2 of them. now remove the three bolts that bolt the D S to the flex joint at the tranny, (u do not have to remove the flex-joint at the tranny.

Now for the axles,,two ways to do this first remove the axle nut. take loose the top two control arms from the hub. do not remove the the lower control ,( the big black one) for now do not remove the shock.
now you can pull the hub out and down the axle will come out of the hub , i hope you weigh at least 200 lbs ,you will need all your weight to move the hub down and to the rear.
once the axle is out of the hub then pull/pop/snap/the axle from the rear. OH if you have two piece axles there is a hub with 6 bolts on each axle right next to the diff ,,take those 6 bolts out push the axle toward the hub/wheel . you do not have to remove any control arms unless you just want more clearance. any thing else i can help you with.
now for the diff removal:
with a jack under the diff remove the front bolt (going up toward the car) remove the two bolts at the rear of the diff, move the diff forward and down ,,it is out. jim

Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by ardenian
Hi I am struggling to find out how to remove the rear drive shafts / rear axles from the differential end as all the info says there are 6 bolts on mine a uk 2003 n/a xf doesn't seem to have anything visibly holding them in place.
Have you read the Service Manual, it says they are held in with circlips and need to be forced out, read the manual. Later models may have bolts, I'm going by memory though re the bolts.
Service Manual is in this forum. CLICK
Edit
While I was writing my post others posted with more knowledge on the subject, some have bolts and some have circlips. Later ones have circlips according to the manuals. maybe not though if you cannot see them.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-21-2016 at 12:08 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-22-2016, 04:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info guy's , it is a big help.