Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

"Piggyback" Performance PCU Chip?

Old 12-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Piggyback" Performance PCU Chip?

Has anyone seen a "piggyback" chip advertised for the Crossfire or Mercedes 320 SLK or C320? The piggyback chip made for other cars is a plug and play chip that fits inline with the PCU harness and simply adds or subtracts values to sensor inputs that feed into the MAP tables to produce the same performance gains as a reflashed chip, but without the need to swap out or reflash the OEM chip. They can also be installed or uninstalled in just a few seconds.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Default Re: "Piggyback" Performance PCU Chip?

see www.m-99.co.uk i have just today ordered one to try will let you know how or if it works

Old 03-30-2005, 09:54 PM

Thanks. I am eager to hear what kind of results you get.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:54 PM

where do i get it & how much

Old 03-31-2005, 02:48 AM

I make computer chips for a living and I have absolutely no idea how 'piggybacking" a chip onto another chip would do anything good. The best scenario is that it would make no difference at all (putting a dead chip on a good chip) OR, you blow the good chip up.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by xfuego
I make computer chips for a living and I have absolutely no idea how 'piggybacking" a chip onto another chip would do anything good. The best scenario is that it would make no difference at all (putting a dead chip on a good chip) OR, you blow the good chip up.
Thats because you are a complete idiot, thats why you can't understand. Tell all the guys in their WRX's running piggy backs, that the UTEC or Links44 is a waste of money. Or anyone running some sort of piggy back.

FYI: And just because you work as a receptionist at the office building of a computer chip manufacturer, doesn't mean you make them.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:56 PM

The theory behind the piggyback is that it intercepts and modifies signals that are to be sent to the ECU. The same theory as a firewall in a computer network which strips out objectionable material. There are actually a lot of very reputable companies that make piggybacks, but they're pretty pricey.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:50 AM

A basic electronics lesson for the child.

Piggybacking a chip means placing a chip onto another one where they share the same inputs and outputs. If you do this, the you have 2 chips a) loading the circuit and b) outputing different signals onto the same line. The next chip(s) that those outputs go to will not be able to to discern what signal is the correct signal and what isn't. I suppose it is possible that a signal can be held a little longer in a particualr state by a piggybacked chip, but you still run the risk of blowing both chips up, either from improper bias due to unplanned loading, an unbalanced circuit, loading the preceding chip(s), from ESD, or a myriad of other causes. It's a bad idea period. Replacing the chip with another one or reprogramming the existing chip, is the best way to go. Piggybacking, at best, is Russian Roulette.

22 years old huh? Well now, I knew I should have pulled out of your skanky assed mother when I was up in Great Lakes. The best part of you ran down your mother's sh*t stained crack.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:43 AM

What have i started here?
all i did was find this web site (m-99.co.uk) and say i would try the chip and report back im feeling a bit guilty now cant we just get along and just respect other persons views after all WE ARE ALL special and unique people united by our ownership of our beautiful crossfires
i am willing to risk the trial of the chip. if i breakdown then i will take advantage of chrysler dealer breakdown recovery and 3 year warrenty, throw the chip in the nearest ditch and say well it just sort of stopped on me! hu and then let you all know and i'll take the flack
robert
ps i hope i am not in a hurry or going somewhere important. + i will keep my mobile (cell phone) handy and charged

Old 04-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Cool Re: "Piggyback" Performance PCU Chip?

Originally Posted by Bullseye
Thats because you are a complete idiot, thats why you can't understand. Tell all the guys in their WRX's running piggy backs, that the UTEC or Links44 is a waste of money. Or anyone running some sort of piggy back.

FYI: And just because you work as a receptionist at the office building of a computer chip manufacturer, doesn't mean you make them.
Robbradsell:

Don't feel guilty here; you didn't start this; This Bullsh.t(eye) crap did and he just won't quit. Just read back and see who started the "idiot" comment.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:54 PM

A basic electronics lesson for the child.

Piggybacking a chip means placing a chip onto another one where they share the same inputs and outputs. If you do this, the you have 2 chips a) loading the circuit and b) outputing different signals onto the same line. The next chip(s) that those outputs go to will not be able to to discern what signal is the correct signal and what isn't. I suppose it is possible that a signal can be held a little longer in a particualr state by a piggybacked chip, but you still run the risk of blowing both chips up, either from improper bias due to unplanned loading, an unbalanced circuit, loading the preceding chip(s), from ESD, or a myriad of other causes. It's a bad idea period. Replacing the chip with another one or reprogramming the existing chip, is the best way to go. Piggybacking, at best, is Russian Roulette.

22 years old huh? Well now, I knew I should have pulled out of your skanky assed mother when I was up in Great Lakes. The best part of you ran down your mother's sh*t stained crack.
Yes, its a bad idea, LOL. That is why my friend's wrx has been running great with his piggy back since 02. Read afew more books before you claim to know everything. Not everything is straight from the text. But I can expect this of you, since you are a magazine racer.

And you talk to me about old comments. Tool truly fits you.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:30 PM

xfuego,

As much as it pains me to do so, I have to agree with Bullseye on this one. You are assuming that the two chips (the ECU and the piggyback) are sharing inputs and outputs. That is not the way a piggyback chip works. Normally, the ECU receives its inputs from a number of engine and other sensors, processes the inputs based on tabled values stored within the ECU, and then outputs to various engine/transmission controls. A piggyback chip fits inline between the various sensors and the input to the ECU ... the piggyback receives inputs from the sensors, modifies the inputs, and then outputs to the ECU. The ECU then processes the modified inputs from the piggyback, and using the the original tabled values, sends modified outputs to the various engine/transmission controls. There is no sharing of inputs and outputs between the two chips. Piggyback chips do work, and since the modified piggyback outputs are within the normal range of engine sensor outputs, they are completely safe and cannot damage the ECU. Despite his crassness, Bullseye knows what he is talking about on this one.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:35 PM

And by the way, trying to match Bullseye's crassness with your own, isn't helping communications.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by AlvinByars
xfuego,

As much as it pains me to do so, I have to agree with Bullseye on this one. You are assuming that the two chips (the ECU and the piggyback) are sharing inputs and outputs. That is not the way a piggyback chip works. Normally, the ECU receives its inputs from a number of engine and other sensors, processes the inputs based on tabled values stored within the ECU, and then outputs to various engine/transmission controls. A piggyback chip fits inline between the various sensors and the input to the ECU ... the piggyback receives inputs from the sensors, modifies the inputs, and then outputs to the ECU. The ECU then processes the modified inputs from the piggyback, and using the the original tabled values, sends modified outputs to the various engine/transmission controls. There is no sharing of inputs and outputs between the two chips. Piggyback chips do work, and since the modified piggyback outputs are within the normal range of engine sensor outputs, they are completely safe and cannot damage the ECU. Despite his crassness, Bullseye knows what he is talking about on this one.
Then it's not a piggyback. It's in series. Piggyback is to be in parallell (One atop another). Daisychain is a better term for being in series (one into another). And Bullsh*t couldn't find his *** with both hands.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:49 PM

Yes, its a bad idea, LOL. That is why my friend's wrx has been running great with his piggy back since 02. Read afew more books before you claim to know everything. Not everything is straight from the text. But I can expect this of you, since you are a magazine racer.

And you talk to me about old comments. Tool truly fits you.
And ***** truly fits you, and I'm betting it's fit's on a regular basis.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:04 PM

i think i have lost it.! what is an ecu and where is it? is it somewhere UP or DOWN near the crack

only jokin

it should arrive mon or tues. if it isnt raining then i'll fit it (no garage) should have something to post by friday

rob

Old 04-01-2005, 11:54 PM

xfuego, regardless of what the term "piggyback chip" means in the computer world, its meaning in the automotive world is just as I described. Do a little research and you will see for yourself. I know at least a little bit about both worlds.

bullseye, thanks for not jumping back into the fray again. I really am trying to get some useful information from a fellow Crossfire driver.

robbradsell, thanks ... I am still very interested in hearing what kind of results you get.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by AlvinByars
xfuego, regardless of what the term "piggyback chip" means in the computer world, its meaning in the automotive world is just as I described. Do a little research and you will see for yourself. I know at least a little bit about both worlds.

bullseye, thanks for not jumping back into the fray again. I really am trying to get some useful information from a fellow Crossfire driver.

robbradsell, thanks ... I am still very interested in hearing what kind of results you get.
No problem. I'm done with Xfuego, he just seems to have alot of built in hate with I can't be wrong attitude. Some people are just like that.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:54 AM

No problem. I'm done with Xfuego, he just seems to have alot of built in hate with I can't be wrong attitude. Some people are just like that.
That's right, ***** boy.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:13 AM
Forum Regular

What happened to the nice friendly forum all of a sudden? Be nice now girls.

Quick Reply: "Piggyback" Performance PCU Chip?