Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Son of POP or POP part 2.

Old 06-23-2013 | 12:06 PM
|
Default Re: Son of POP or POP part 2.

It's all together, lacking a cooling system top off. Took my family to the beach for stroll as my man hours ran out. I'll top it off, start it up and go for a ride in a while. Here's hoping I get an A+ on the work.

Les

Old 06-23-2013 | 01:11 PM

When I swapped the supercharger on my old car, I discovered it ran a lot better with the map sensor connected.

Old 06-23-2013 | 04:27 PM
|

I didn't remove it from the intercooler and it's plugged in. The car started fine, started missing P0304 cyl 4, cleared the code restarted and all seems fine except ... I'm still hearing a loud hissing that started when I emptied the catch can recently. So tomorrow I'll go get gas and pull all the catch can hoses to see what I can find. I used a great deal of care, took my time and have high confidence in my work so if I still have a problem I believe it's something I didn't work on or check.

Les

Old 06-23-2013 | 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I didn't remove it from the intercooler and it's plugged in. The car started fine, started missing P0304 cyl 4, cleared the code restarted and all seems fine except ... I'm still hearing a loud hissing that started when I emptied the catch can recently. So tomorrow I'll go get gas and pull all the catch can hoses to see what I can find. I used a great deal of care, took my time and have high confidence in my work so if I still have a problem I believe it's something I didn't work on or check.

Les
Great job on all the clean work getting it back together. Re: the loud hissing; I recall when I first installed my catch can(everything squeaky clean), it hissed a bit until everything got moistened up a bit. Wondered whether you simply drained it or flushed and got it squeeky clean again. Rob told me it was normal. But if yours is REAL loud; probably connection as you mentioned. Glad you're up and running.

Old 06-23-2013 | 07:56 PM
|

To be honest, I wanted to take it apart. I do most of my own work but I had the wavetrak done ..... it whines. I had the meth installed, it freaked. I had the new intercooler installed, I suspected it was leaking for a while and I couldn't tell one way or the other when it came apart. Now I know for a fact how it was sealed, cleaned torqued etc. After clearing the code and restarting I only drove around the basement of my building until the engine reached normal temperature. The AFR's were steady, a positive change, and the idle smoother. No O2 sensor code. I'm hoping for the best.

Les

Old 06-24-2013 | 06:19 PM
|

Passed the first test today. Grandpa drive to the supermarket first. Checked out fine. Then a quick trip to a short safe proving ground for a pull to 60 or so. Passed with flying colors. So far the cars idling better, AFR's are more stable at idle and cruise, IAT's are lower, the secondary air injection isn't freaking out. I still got a P0161 at startup. I'll deal with that one later this week ie switch the cables from side to side to see if the code moves. Fixed? Yes! Relieved? Yes! Improved? Time will tell.

Les

Old 06-26-2013 | 07:45 AM
|

Passed the 2nd. test drive. Today I head off for my yearly inspection ..... nervous. Last year it was at the pollution limit at idle. Now to read up on cylinder head removal and installation for when I cave and get Rob's ported heads.

Les