Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Trans fluid level - automatic

Old 12-17-2012 | 04:36 PM
Default Trans fluid level - automatic

Ok, I'm feeling like a bit of a dumbass here but I need some help. Our Crossfire recently sprung a leak at the transmission pan gasket. I haven't been able to get it to a shop yet and I'm afraid to drive it very much knowing the fluid level is probably low.

So where or how do you check the fluid level on the auto trans? The shop manual says one thing and the how to articles say you can't check it. Help me out here. How am I supposed to verify fluid level and add to it if necessary?

Old 12-17-2012 | 04:49 PM
Old 12-17-2012 | 04:59 PM
Default Re: Trans fluid level - automatic

first of all, there is no dipstick for the auto tranny. There is a tube to the tranny at the back of the engine accessed on the passenger side. A light helps because its dark back there, and is covered and capped by a black closure. This closure may have a red or orange locking tab in it to that needs to be released for the cap to be removed. Here's the tricky part, dealers and MB service people have a special dipstick that is used to measure the level depending on the temperature of the fluid in the tranny. Stay with me now! This dipstick can be purchased ($$$) or one can be made by making one from a 36" to 40" white electrical tie as described here on the forum by "woody in one of his posts. After measuring, you need to add the MB specific tranny fluid and no other, but some have "temporarily" used A Mobil-1 synthetic tranny fluid, till the car can be gotten to a Chrysler Crossfire certified technician or Mercedes mechanic.
The Auto tranny, dipsticks, and fluid have be discussed and posted here, and can be accessed by a "search".

Start here:

A collection of common Crossfire problems, repairs and modifications

Old 12-17-2012 | 05:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I did a search but didn't see anything on the fluid level at first. I found it on a second attempt.

Ok, so the car goes to the service shop tomorrow. They have the special tool and they have experience with these. Good enough for me. Now I don't have to worry.

Old 12-17-2012 | 05:16 PM

Really odd to hear it is leaking from the trans pan gasket, are you sure it's not this?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-ta-daaaa.html

Old 12-17-2012 | 05:53 PM

Could very well be that Bluecoupe. I couldn't tell if it was that connector or the pan gasket. Too much fluid around that area. This just happened almost overnight too. I'll have the garage check this out further.

Many thanks for the assistance.

Old 12-17-2012 | 06:12 PM

I bought a "universal" MB/sprinter/etc. dipstick and after using it all you need is something that will snake down the tube and the measurements to read it. What ever goes in will bottom out from the angle it enters. Then you just read the level.

Les

Old 12-17-2012 | 06:45 PM

BTW..... welcome to the forum ..... questions answered free of charge ..... Tune in and add to all us "friends" .....

Old 12-17-2012 | 07:01 PM
Talking Re: Trans fluid level - automatic

If you add too much it will just puke it out the vent, there is no real down side if you dont have the dipstick or a wire tie 36" long like I have suggested. Add a quart and forget about it, go to dealer if you dont want to do the work. Woody Enjoy.