Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Mobil 1 filter vs. Mann filter vs. Purolator filter

Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Mobil 1 filter vs. Mann filter vs. Purolator filter

Originally Posted by dtinker
Max, be praying for you as you get your new pacemaker. I have on too, last check they said mine should be good for 7 more years. Let us know when op is going to be!
The pacemaker battery will run out about the same time that the Crossfire will need a new one.

Make a note to get both changed at the same time.
See if you can get the medical coverage to pay for both.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by dtinker
Max, be praying for you as you get your new pacemaker. I have on too, last check they said mine should be good for 7 more years. Let us know when op is going to be!
His post says the 14th.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The pacemaker battery will run out about the same time that the Crossfire will need a new one.

Make a note to get both changed at the same time.
See if you can get the medical coverage to pay for both.
I think the "install" is the most expensive part..

Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I think the "install" is the most expensive part..
Parts and installation in Canada = 0, ain't that socialized medicine great.

We still have to pay for parking at the hospital though, bummer.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Parts and installation in Canada = 0, ain't that socialized medicine great.

We still have to pay for parking at the hospital though, bummer.
How much for a fifth of scotch?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
How much for a fifth of scotch?
Booze is more expensive here, but how many fifths = a battery implant?

I don't know what a fifth is, but 3/4 of a liter of cheap scotch is about $23.

Doc said I might need a pacemaker some time due to a slow heart rate, but I figure if the engine runs slow it should last longer, well that's my theory.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Doc said I might need a pacemaker some time due to a slow heart rate, but I figure if the engine runs slow it should last longer, well that's my theory.
Yea, but if you increase the flow rate thru your intercooler, the better your A/F rations will be ....

Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM

The new Pacer costs me...well having a job and the forethought to make sure I can provide for myself and my family.
Not rely on my "...friends and neighbors..." to take care of me. It's all about individual responsibility, mi amigo.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM

The new Pacer costs me...well having a job and the forethought to make sure I can provide for myself and my family.
Not rely on my "...friends and neighbors..." to take care of me. It's all about individual responsibility, mi amigo.
The British have an expression for that it's "I'm all right Jack".

Blue book cost of the total pacemaker operation = $22,800.
Pacemaker Insertion Pricing by Healthcare Blue Book

That's a lot of fifths.

Back on track, the Mobil filter is a mixture of natural, read cellulose, and man made fibers. It is long life but how long is long?

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 AM

No. Most conventional oil filters use a filter medium that is made of cellulose – typically wood fiber – and polyester fibers. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters combine a mixture of synthetic micro fibers and natural fibers to produce a highly efficient oil filter.

The synthetic fibers in Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters yield the following key benefits:
A much more efficient filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter than conventional filter media.
Less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine.
A larger surface area to trap more contaminant particles, allowing the longer service intervals.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM

No. Most conventional oil filters use a filter medium that is made of cellulose – typically wood fiber – and polyester fibers. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters combine a mixture of synthetic micro fibers and natural fibers to produce a highly efficient oil filter.
They never say what they use actually. I hate it when this happens.
Natural fibers? could be wood as far as we know.
Synthetic micro fibers? could be polyester.
They still look like paper though. Most paper is made from wood fibers.

I think I'll stick to Mann fleece filters until I know.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM

I looked all over the Mann website and could find nothing about materials of construction. Can you?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

An awful lot of talk about the Mann fleece filters being the only thing we should be using in these cars, and I'm finally starting to wonder why? It's not like these engines are flaking off chunks of metal that only that filter can catch, and it's not like there is some special bond between a fleece filter and a Mercedes engine. Don't get me wrong, I bought a pack of Mann fleece filters on ebay several years ago and, just like Max, I change my oil once a year right around the anniversary of my purchase date of the car. I only drive it about 4,000 miles a year and don't want to leave the oil in for more than 12 months at a time - that's not based on any scientific investigation but rather just my own piece of mind. Still, why shouldn't any reputable name brand filter be just as effective in this engine, with this oil, as the Mann fleece? Heck, with all the bad things you hear about Fram filters I've had three different cars that went 200,000 miles or more (1 Japanese, 1 German, 1 American, oddly enough) with Fram filters and various "standard" oils and none of the engines had any sort of issue. None of the filters ever failed either, and since I changed oil every 3000 miles back then, that's a lot of filters.

But I'm down to my last Mann filter (won't need another oil change until July 2013) but these Mobil 1 filters look pretty darn good. It's a trusted name and a quality piece, so what's the (potential) problem?

Oh, and Max, good luck with the pacemaker swap - I expect to see you hanging around these parts for a long time to come, buddy!

Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM

I looked all over the Mann website and could find nothing about materials of construction. Can you?
No I could not but the old Mann filter (HU718/4, Chrysler #05102905AA, MB#A 112 184 03 25) looked like paper and was specified for the '04's, later the fleece filter was specified HU718/5 and it was white and called a fleece filter. Naturally it cost more. The paper filter was said to be good for 7,000 miles as well.
The Mobil filter looks like paper,although it has man made fibers in it as did the Mann paper filter probably.
When I was getting my free twice yearly oil change at the dealer they used the paper filter, no worry as it was changed after less than 2,000 miles each time.

I guess you pay your money and take your pick. Just stay away from Chinese filters.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always kind of thought the same way Mike in Orange felt, to a point.
I'm pretty religious about using "factory" brand filters on all my cars. I go to the Honda dealer for its filter, I pick up an AC Delco filter for my Chevy Van, Mazda dealer for our Miata, and usually a Mercedes dealer for the Crossfire. (But I have used Mann filters as well since I understand they make the factory filter). Still having a hard time finding an AMC dealer for my AMX oil filter though.
I've pretty much went along with the general rule here on the forum that the fleece filter is better than a paper one, but in the back of my mind, I can't help thinking, Isn't a layer of paper less pourous than a layer of fleece?
If that is so, then wouldn't a layer of paper capture more impurities than a layer of fleece.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 502 Likes on 428 Posts

Only reason I bought the Mobil1 filters was they were included (free) with the lower cost Mobil1 0W-40 in the 5.1qt (yeah I read there is actually a 0.1qt extra per bottle). All my other vehicles use whatever el-cheapo oil filter the local stores sell as they are certified equal to or better than OEM. I will stay with the Mobil1 oil but the filter is whatever I get. One reason I am keeping to the Mobil1 is the lifetime powertrain warranty (don't want any possible future arguement with any dealer). Another reason is right now I am getting it at a good sale price and I don't have to keep checking MB authorized oils (btw, the lifetime is with Chrysler, not MB), so I am keeping with Chryslers oil until I can get something from Chrysler saying another oil brand X or Y is certified for the sake of the powertrain warranty. Never in all the oil changes I have done has a filter failed, and Mobil1 states their filters are tested at 5 times the pressures encountered (paraphrased). So, no Mann/Wix/Fleece for me unless they are a gift (hey alaxfire, you listening?)!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I've always kind of thought the same way Mike in Orange felt, to a point.
I'm pretty religious about using "factory" brand filters on all my cars. I go to the Honda dealer for its filter, I pick up an AC Delco filter for my Chevy Van, Mazda dealer for our Miata, and usually a Mercedes dealer for the Crossfire. (But I have used Mann filters as well since I understand they make the factory filter). Still having a hard time finding an AMC dealer for my AMX oil filter though.
I've pretty much went along with the general rule here on the forum that the fleece filter is better than a paper one, but in the back of my mind, I can't help thinking, Isn't a layer of paper less pourous than a layer of fleece?
If that is so, then wouldn't a layer of paper capture more impurities than a layer of fleece.
This 'fleece' did not come from the back of a sheep, so the density could be anything they wanted to make it.

I have just cut up a used Mann fleece filter, rather messy, and it looks like a paper element with a mesh bonded on the inside of the paper. So basically it is the same as the others but made out of a different material. It of course is sparkling white when new and the others look like some paper towels in color.

Overall they probably do just as good a job if they are the extended life type. As I said before you pay your money and take your choice.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Well put arguments, all. I think the "fleece" term (I saw it in print) is in reference to "blown glass", or fiberglass fibers. But when blown as spun, they adhere to each other and form a porous yet rigid structure.
I'm going to look at these under a 'scope at the lab tomorrow and see what I see.

Mike, thanks bud. I ain't goin' nowhere but off the deep end.
The boy (mine) got a job at Mahle Inc. in Atlantic, Iowa. Leaves on Saturday for a 6 month internship. Replacing the radiator in his '97 Town Car tomorrow PM to show him I'll work to save the $200 charge the garage wanted. At least they found the slow leak for me.
I ain't made of money, boy...