Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Cool air intakes, versus COLD air intakes

Old 09-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cool air intakes, versus COLD air intakes

Greetings all!

So at the last Cars & Coffee, I came to a realization: the intakes utilized by Mercedes are some hot mamma-jammas. And not in a good way.

Nick (thirteendog) and I had a nice spirited run through some back roads on the way there, and were running the cars pretty hard. So, hoods-up and cars on display at the show, about an hour later I walk by and feel the intakes.

He's running a dual Needswings, and I'm running the C320/430 airbox. It's a gutted design; no baffles or extra silencers. Mine was piping hot, and his was almost cool to the touch. An hour later.

I never realized my box retained so much heat. Seeing as every little bit helps, it got me to thinking: what would the benefits be if I were to run a dual Needswings with the gold-ceramic coating, and if I was to get the OEM intake plenum dipped in the gold-ceramic as well? Of course, a P&P job would be in store for the intake prior to installation... but Needswings claims the GC coating has noticaeable temperature benefits.

Seeing as the plenum is nestled between the "v" of the engine, it's in an area doomed to retain heat.

Do you guys think the coating would make a big enough difference to justify the cost?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Cool air intakes, versus COLD air intakes

Do you know where we can get the coating? Is it a DIY type thing?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Greetings all!

So at the last Cars & Coffee, I came to a realization: the intakes utilized by Mercedes are some hot mamma-jammas. And not in a good way.

Nick (thirteendog) and I had a nice spirited run through some back roads on the way there, and were running the cars pretty hard. So, hoods-up and cars on display at the show, about an hour later I walk by and feel the intakes.

He's running a dual Needswings, and I'm running the C320/430 airbox. It's a gutted design; no baffles or extra silencers. Mine was piping hot, and his was almost cool to the touch. An hour later.

I never realized my box retained so much heat. Seeing as every little bit helps, it got me to thinking: what would the benefits be if I were to run a dual Needswings with the gold-ceramic coating, and if I was to get the OEM intake plenum dipped in the gold-ceramic as well? Of course, a P&P job would be in store for the intake prior to installation... but Needswings claims the GC coating has noticaeable temperature benefits.

Seeing as the plenum is nestled between the "v" of the engine, it's in an area doomed to retain heat.

Do you guys think the coating would make a big enough difference to justify the cost?
My DIY intake cools MUCH better than any OEM and maybe a little slower than a needswings because of the caister filters, but then again, my filters never need to dry after precipitation

John, I think with the potential mild boost in performance vs. the cost of the needswings alone, much less all the coating, I would be surprized if the butt dyno would see any difference. If you had a car you raced and every hundredth of a second counted, maybe. There are many other things I would mod first before going this route, especially with the awesome Merc setup you have now....

Just my 0.02

Old 09-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
My DIY intake cools MUCH better than any OEM and maybe a little slower than a needswings because of the caister filters, but then again, my filters never need to dry after precipitation

John, I think with the potential mild boost in performance vs. the cost of the needswings alone, much less all the coating, I would be surprized if the butt dyno would see any difference. If you had a car you raced and every hundredth of a second counted, maybe. There are many other things I would mod first before going this route, especially with the awesome Merc setup you have now....

Just my 0.02
Can't argue with you there. Don't get me wrong, aesthetically I LOVE my current intake setup. It's a head-turner in person. And the Needswings tax looks a lot like the bill (or part of it) for a nice set of wheels.

I was just shocked to see what a huge difference there was in temps between my setup and Nick's. I would love to meter the IATs while rolling, as think my car is getting plenty of fresh air.

I still plan on looking into a ported intake with the gold-ceramic coating offered by Needswings. The coating is only ~$100 or so... So depending on how cheap I can find an intake plenum... hehe

Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

I use the stock intake and just for interest I ran a non contact thermometer over the engine bay after a long run. It sat for a minute while I fetched the thermometer.

The center of the air box was 170+ degrees and the area over the filters was 150+, the battery was 130.
The water pump housing hit 180+, but I expected that.

That battery gets really hot and that's not good, heat is a destroyer of batteries.