Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

What is spray?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What is spray?

Ok, I know this sounds silly, but bear with me. In the classical sense, when someone mentions spray, I immediately equate that with N2O or NOS. It seems that lately people especially in this forum use the term spray to be synonymous with methanol injection. I understand that technically the methanol is being sprayed into the engine. The term "spray" in my mind insinuates horsepower on demand, whereas methanol injection insinuates cooling on demand. So, does it really make sense to group both spraying NOS and injecting methanol into the same category.... SPRAY? NOS and Methanol are 2 completely different things and are installed with the expectation of 2 completely different results. So, why would we want to group them together under the same moniker?

There has been much discussion about our SRTs breaking into the 11s. Many feeling that an 11 with the help of spray is not a legitimate 11. Now, I would agree that a 30 shot of spray (NOS) is apple and oranges when trying to compare that against a non NOS time. But, is it really that much of a stretch comparing a methanol injected time to another time where someone has separated their cooling system and have a reservoir filled with ice water or dry ice?

Today Moparburst stated that with his latest run, that he has the fastest SRT in the world that is not on spray (By the way, congratulations MoparBurst). My contention is that methanol injection has the same effect as Moparburst's ice water reservoir so should they be looked at differently? Is the next bar to break.... getting into the 11s without ice water?

I will be happy when I make it into the 11s. What mods I have when I get there will be irrelevant to me. My time will be my time regardless of DA, spray, track temps, etc.. No one that has made it into the 11s has done it without countless hours of work and dollars spent on modifications..... Well except for maybe MD SRT6's son, but he is the lucky exception. LOL

Anyway, I am just curious if anyone else sees it like me, or if I am just off my rocker. Ok, I opened myself up for this one, but try to be gentle on me. HAHA!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: What is spray?

I'm thinking that "spray" means introducing anything into the engine be it NOS or meth.
The ice water to cool the boost charge is fair game as it is an engine mod of sorts. Nothing is put into the engine.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fuel injectors spray fuel into the engine so that is spray too.

i spray windshield washer fluid on my windshield when it gets bugs on it, does that count as well?

My gf uses hair spray, does that count or is that cheating?

I spray cologne on my doo dads when I get out of the shower, it burns a little but it makes me get ready for work a lot faster because it gets me running around the bathroom.

A guy at work tends to spit/spray when he talks and I try to avoid him, I also heard he cheats on his taxes. Who knows for sure though.

Someone drove through a puddle and sprayed an old lady with water, I laughed.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Didn't take you long to chime in P-Man!
I was thinking about you as I posted LOL!

I'm thinking about "spray" painting my car before the West Coast Shootout so I can beat Cruzin'!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 638 Likes on 436 Posts

OK OK now I gotta chime in here with you comics too..........The only "Spray" that my Crossfire see's is "Adams" detail spray.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 PM

This is the only site on the internet that considers meth spray aka nos aka nitrous lol.

It is a cooling mod, plain and simple. Try it on a N/A engine and see if you make power lmao.

It raises the octane of the fuel and cools temps drastically. All the information regarding alcohol injection you could ever want is just a google away.

Also as for nitrous, anyone that thinks it is cheating is ignorant. It is no more cheating than drag radials, weight reduction, turbos, superchargers and so on. It is just another power mod. Some people just like to complain about what they are afraid of or no nothing about and they are typically the ones that never break records.

I am sure a lot of misinformation will fill up this thread but if you really want to know about it then do a google search and read to your hearts content. That is the best advice I can give you, not to listen to people that have never used it or know little to nothing about it or heard from a friend that had a sister that knew a guy that once had a uncle that used it once he thought.

Last edited by mrphotoman; 12-06-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:33 PM

MrPhotoman, I agree with your comments about NOS as well. That is why I made a point to say that when I get into the 11s, it is irrelevant to me what mods I made to get there. Anyone that wants to add NOS to their car, and have the car be reliable for any extent of time, has done plenty of research on the effects of N2O on the engine. They understand that the internals must be sufficient to withstand the introduction of nitrous oxide. My hat is off to anyone that does any type of mod that will improve the performance of their car. Personally, I want to add performance that is street-able performance. In other words, I can do Meth injection via a remote tank and run it 100% of the time, and actually be good for the engine. Try running NOS all the time.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
OK OK now I gotta chime in here with you comics too..........The only "Spray" that my Crossfire see's is "Adams" detail spray.
Careful spraying all that Adams.... it has been known to have a detrimental effect on the tread life of your rear tires.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About a year ago i was parked in a friends driveway and his cat sprayed one of my wheels. I thought about using his cat for traction.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:17 PM

I am kind of surprised that this has not generated much serious debate.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spray = nitrous debate over. If you went to the track and told a bunch of drag racers you spray all will instantly think your refering to Nitrous injection.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

well, my take is this, the first guy to the finish line is the winner...we have some people on here with a whole h3ll of a lot mods, separation, etc, etc, etc, but we are all really within 1 second of each other. So, each takes their own path. I think we all mod the way we want, post our times, "actual time slip" times regardless of where you live. Every track is different in prep, DA, temp, etc.... So, until someone puts together the XF Nationals, which I am asking the track owner where I am now allowed to run, to consider doing. I think it would be one h3ll of weekend....just me...

Old 12-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
About a year ago i was parked in a friends driveway and his cat sprayed one of my wheels. I thought about using his cat for traction.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

there really is a sickness in your family....I just kicked my cat....