Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

My Renntech carbon airbox install and notes with pics

Old 11-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts
Default My Renntech carbon airbox install and notes with pics

intake3.jpg

intake2.jpg

intake1.jpg

OK I bought this intake from Advans since he sold his coupe. It was literally a five minute install, very simple. Here is what I noticed between the factory intake and the Renntech one.

A. While beneath the cover the intakes seem similar the Rentech intake has literally about 3 times the space openings into the rear opening. I couldn't believe how small the factory openings are.

B. The tubes that came with the intake are carbon fiber and seem to be impervious to heat as is the cover. I did several runs with both covers and my factory cover would be searing hot as were the plastic tubes. The Renntech cover was considerably cooler, I mean by a pretty huge amount and the carbon tubes didn't get hot or retain heat. Very weird but cool, so I could see how this would lend to better performance.

C. The carbon tube intakes are about 3 times the size of the factory tubes. Right now I put the fatory tubes back while I adjust the carbon tubes for better fitment. But as soon as I'm done with that they are going back on. But the volume of air would be much greater since the opening is so much larger.

D. The sound of the motor is much deeper now and I can hear the motor now while the car is idle. Before I couldn't hardly hear it. The sound it makes during acceleration is pretty intoxicating.

E. I did several before and after runs with the factory cover and the Renntech cover. I immediately noticed the sound and the car seems to rev much more free with the Renntech airbox. But and this is something that I'm not sure I can live with is with the Renntech airbox the idle is louder and definitely lumpier. There is a definite rumble effect that translates to my steering wheel when the car is just sitting. I put the factory cover back on several times to make sure it wasn't that I was putting it on wrong and it did it every time. Its like a rumble and slight lumpier idle. Don't know what that is. The Renntech box is definitely seated currectly.

F. Acceleration definitely seems quicker. I switched the box last night finally around 7pm and drove hard for around 2 hours. I pretty much heat soaked the car but I wanted to really notice a difference. I then went home took the Renntech cover off and put the factory cover back on and drove around for 20 minutes. Definitely a difference in sound and idle and seems to be held back. With the Renntech box it was pretty obvious the engine was happier and way more throaty. And the car pulled HARD. I can't express this enough. Going through the parking garage at work fofore I would hear more tranny whine, but now I can actually hear the motor.

All in all I'm happy with the mod and can't wait till my Borla exhaust gets here next week. With this Renntech box, the Borla, and the TVT 265+ the car will be pretty wicked.

I forgot to add that after almost 2 hours of driving the Renntech carbon Tubes were basically cool to the touch. Crazy. The factory tubes after just 20 minutes could not be touched with your bare hand, they were that hot. That definitely has to affect performance.

another thing I forgot to mention is that while the airbox's look the same size they are not. The Renntech box has much more volume and I could hardly get my hood closed. Its definitely a pinch for sure. But It does close.

Last edited by MAYAman; 11-10-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My Renntech carbon airbox install and notes with pics

Originally Posted by MAYAman
...The sound it makes during acceleration is pretty intoxicating...
Nice!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

MAYAman,

It sounds like you may be contacting your hood with the box. Get some non-drying modeling clay and make some cones about a half inch tall. put wax paper on the air box, place the cones in a grid about 8" to a foot apart. Make sure there are some near the corners of the air box. Cover the top with another layer of wax paper. Then close your hood.

Re-open your hood and check the condition of the cones. If any are smashed completely, then your engine is pressing into your hood and transmitting the vibration to the rest of the body. If that's the case, you may have to think about either altering your hood, or the box.

Looks good though.

Cheers!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 AM

^^^OH man that makes sense as to the added vibration!!! Stupid me

Its definitely contacting no question about it. But man, the sound is almost worth it. LOL

Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Forum Regular

Wow o wow! That looks great! I want one too now! They are hard to find though. I like the red and black carbon fiber. Any other choices like that one for sale?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to add that after almost 2 hours of driving the Renntech carbon Tubes were basically cool to the touch. Crazy.
This is probably due to the high thermal conductivity of Carbon Fiber, which is something that most people don't know about.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:32 AM

^^^Yeah that is probably what I was more impressed with than the sound. I couldn't believe how cool they were, including the box itself. After I popped the factory box back on and drove for about 20 min I did the same test and you could not touch it, it was so hot, including the box. It basically became an oven which the Renntech did not.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Yeah that is probably what I was more impressed with than the sound. I couldn't believe how cool they were, including the box itself. After I popped the factory box back on and drove for about 20 min I did the same test and you could not touch it, it was so hot, including the box. It basically became an oven which the Renntech did not.
Yes, it's the same reason why aluminum foil inside a 400 degree oven does not feel hot at all to the touch

Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kit Fox
Wow o wow! That looks great! I want one too now! They are hard to find though. I like the red and black carbon fiber. Any other choices like that one for sale?
I waited a year for this one to go for sale I paid $1100 for it. Yeah it's a lot of money for an airbox but it retailed for 2k and its really rare and so far it has lived up to what its supposed to do.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I waited a year for this one to go for sale I paid $1100 for it. Yeah it's a lot of money for an airbox but it retailed for 2k and its really rare and so far it has lived up to what its supposed to do.
That is a steal it is absolutly beautiful

Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 PM

yeap, its def a steal. on the way driving the coupe to the dealership (for my trade in), the car felt so sluggish with the stock box. sucked!