Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Need Help...

Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need Help...

Do you have the original?
If it is just a spacer try a repair on it- maybe a sandable epoxy
The o-ring is actuallly what seals it. How exactly did a 1/4" thick spacer "rip"?

Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could you just buy one of those generic gasket kits and make one? or maybe just use some gasket maker to seal it up? That is crazy you have to order all that just for something so simple.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 70GT6
Do you have the original?
If it is just a spacer try a repair on it- maybe a sandable epoxy
The o-ring is actuallly what seals it. How exactly did a 1/4" thick spacer "rip"?
i will be removing it tomorrow- car was at the dealer getting some warranty work done- headliner, 2 headlights and a battery.

once i remove it and look at it myself, i might be able to come up with a fix.

The dealer says that having the aftermarket intake installed on the car and not having it bolted down caused the intake to twist and rip the gasket. this is the 5th intake i have had on the car-stock one with K&N filters, BDJ, a highly complicated temp PVC intake (used while i was pieceing together a temp Spectre intake), a spectre intake and lastly the JMB performance intake. JMB is the only intake that actually has a tab welded to bolt it down (besides the stock one) The rest of the intakes basically just sit there. when the hood is closed, there is not enough room for the intake to twist like the dealer says.
I am not sure if just installing and removing so many intakes wore the piece out or if the nitrous deteriated the gasket or made it weak or what...either way, i am not paying 7 large for a simple rubber gasket.

The roush mustang is looking better and better...at least i know i can get parts for it

Last edited by MUTT; 09-03-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
could you just buy one of those generic gasket kits and make one? or maybe just use some gasket maker to seal it up? That is crazy you have to order all that just for something so simple.
i am removing the gasket tomorrow to see what i can actually do to fix it. It has been at the dealer for 10 days so i havent had a chance to really look at it myself.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUTT
i am removing the gasket tomorrow to see what i can actually do to fix it. It has been at the dealer for 10 days so i havent had a chance to really look at it myself.
wow i bet that is really frustraiting, good luck and let us know what you find out.

at worst, just take it to a machine shop and have them make you one. i bet you can get it made for under $50.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
wow i bet that is really frustraiting, good luck and let us know what you find out.

at worst, just take it to a machine shop and have them make you one. i bet you can get it made for under $50.
the bad part is, next weekend there is a huge get together in panama for the Viper trucks. I have been talking $hit for months about how this little 6 cylinder was gonna go kick some Viper butt, especially since they are running on an 1/8th mile track. looks like i might have to bail on the get together now.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try calling these folks tomorrow.

http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/

http://www.mercedesnewparts.com/

http://www.psesuperchargers.com/

Make sure to send them a picture and tell then not to bother of it doesn't have the black spacer/gasket

Last edited by BrianBrave; 09-03-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Try calling these folks tomorrow.

http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/

http://www.mercedesnewparts.com/

http://www.psesuperchargers.com/

Make sure to send them a picture and tell then not to bother of it doesn't have the black spacer/gasket
thanks for the leads...i need to call the dealer in an hour and talk to the parts guy to figure out what the final plan is. If they cant figure something out, then i will have to go pick up the car and do it myself.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:46 AM

Look!!!!! Bottom Line Is This If It Is On The Car Then It Can Be Made Or Repaired. The Only Thing You Need Is An Old Non Certified Mech Who Can Still Work With His Hands And Brain. Look For An Old Carburator Guy He Will Fix It!!!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Well went to pick up the car today...when i got there they informed me that they finally found the correct part...they had another SRT on the lot and decided to remove the gasket so they could get good pics to send up to detroit. Once they removed the gasket, the part number is on the gasket itself on the bottom side. part ordered and will be here monday. thanks for all of the help and info

Old 09-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

what dumb@ss people did they hire? I still follow my service mgr, whereever he goes, I go...in fact, as soon as the car is clean again...rainin today,, I am taking it down so his new mechanics can see the car...he just went to another dealership, so I have to get the know his new mechanics all over again...I take doughnuts when I go...they usually love me when I leave...got to get to know the people you may have to work with...we talk shop...hang out for awhile...look in the parking lot when driving up, sometimes there are old muscle cars, or beefed up jeeps...find something in common to talk about...but in the end, the service mgr will make the call, not the mechanic...so treat him or her with respect even though you want to kick someone...

Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you tatooed that part number somewhere!

POST IT so it is on file on here!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MUTT
Well went to pick up the car today...when i got there they informed me that they finally found the correct part...they had another SRT on the lot and decided to remove the gasket so they could get good pics to send up to detroit. Once they removed the gasket, the part number is on the gasket itself on the bottom side. part ordered and will be here monday. thanks for all of the help and info
How did it all end? Did you buy the Mustang or hang with the SRT6?