Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

a question about exhaust odor

Old 06-18-2008, 05:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a question about exhaust odor

my car since i bought it new would give off a sulfer smell with full throtle accelleration. i've always thought this was caused from a lean condition which would inturn would heat up and cause burning in the cats which gave the odor. correct me if i'm wrong?

over the last month i've switched my muffler and assembled a cai and now the odor has gotten worse. is my thinking correct about leaning out? if so the tvt250 items sould help reduce the smell?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: a question about exhaust odor

Originally Posted by tashspop
my car since i bought it new would give off a sulfer smell with full throtle accelleration. i've always thought this was caused from a lean condition which would inturn would heat up and cause burning in the cats which gave the odor. correct me if i'm wrong?

over the last month i've switched my muffler and assembled a cai and now the odor has gotten worse. is my thinking correct about leaning out? if so the tvt250 items sould help reduce the smell?
Sorry I don't have the answer, but if you put in some recycled bio fuel, the french fries smells may cover the sulfer oder.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:23 PM

I have had the same problem with mine. I have a custom cat-back exhaust now with no mufflers that i run at the track and for shows. There is NO smell when i run this set-up because its straight through and the air has no muffler to twist through. I switch back to the factory set-up and it smells like rotten eggs again. My guess is that it has something to do with the muffler. I also get NO carbon build up on the tips with the no muffler set-up. If the no muffler set-up was quieter, i would run it all day long!!!!

Pics in gallery.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Forum Regular

i can't do no muffler. i tried it and for one its way too loud, and i lost a good amount of torque. didn't like how it felt driving around. if you're right about the muffler adding to the effect, that goes against how/why i was thinking the cause is.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 AM
Forum Regular

I have yet to confirm this, but I believe it is a result of the high WOT air to fuel ratios that the factory PCM and injectors run. This results in much higher combustion temps and likely cooks the exhaust componants (like the converters) until they give off that smell.

Now that I have the TVT250 kit and am running lower air to fuel ratios, I will pay attention to it's effect on that horrible smell.

FYI... I do NOT have a stock muffler and the smell is still there.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Opticon
I have yet to confirm this, but I believe it is a result of the high WOT air to fuel ratios that the factory PCM and injectors run. This results in much higher combustion temps and likely cooks the exhaust componants (like the converters) until they give off that smell.

Now that I have the TVT250 kit and am running lower air to fuel ratios, I will pay attention to it's effect on that horrible smell.

FYI... I do NOT have a stock muffler and the smell is still there.
I agree with Opticon about high exhaust system temps on WOT. Your muffler will not cause this smell, but catalytic converters are infamous for this "rotten egg" smell under certain conditions.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by xfire2005
I agree with Opticon about high exhaust system temps on WOT. Your muffler will not cause this smell, but catalytic converters are infamous for this "rotten egg" smell under certain conditions.
+1. Rotten eggs = cat

Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Forum Regular

yeah, i figured that. my real question is geared towards whether or not going with the larger injectors and tune will help reduce these effects.

another question would be that obviously this has gotten worse with my setting now. am i basically burning up my cats and eventually going to have to replace them?

Last edited by tashspop; 06-19-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:00 AM

I may be wrong on this, but I always assumed that if you could smell the rotten eggs, your cats were already bad, i.e., it was already too late. But I only have a few experiences with bad cats.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular

^ Clogged cats will heat up substantially. That smell is the heat cooking the catalyst material. And that smell @ WOT has plauged my Crossfire from when I bought it at 23 miles.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Opticon
^ Clogged cats will heat up substantially. That smell is the heat cooking the catalyst material. And that smell @ WOT has plauged my Crossfire from when I bought it at 23 miles.
+1. Same problem with my XFire which i purchased new.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Talking Re: a question about exhaust odor

Hey guys for what its worth has anyone ever tried to get two exhaust test pipes??? I had them installed on my 300zx several years ago and the the guy at the muffer shop removed my converter and replaced it with a test pipe.... the car was really fast after that... and he drilled and threaded a new place for me to feed my oxygen sensor into it also......The only down fall is you have to put your conveters back on when its time for inspections..... But your crossfire will run a heck of a lot better with out those converters.......And yes its true that a car has to have a certain amount of back pressure but if the test pipes are the same diameter as the converter hook up. power is not robbed........ I plan on getting two test pipes for my Xfire after my inspection this fall......