Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

NeedsWings na and srt6 CAI group buy

Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NeedsWings na and srt6 CAI group buy

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
are you guys able to make a clean cut through the 3" aluminum tubing? were going to end up cutting off the last bend on the large pipe and replace it with the new stuff connected with a black silicone coupler. i can cut them cleanly here without ruining the powder coating with our chop saw, do you have access to one with a clean blade? it could probably be done with a hacksaw and some patience but at that point id rather send off a prepaid fedex label for you guys to mail in just the long aluminum tube and ill do it and send it back with the new end.

so we can either have you send in your long tube and ill do the swapover or i can send you the new setup and you cut the long tube. i'll provide the measurement where to make the one perpendicular cut (no crazy angles).
Rob, I am not thrilled with doing this but if you are sure this will be the fix, I will get it cut rather than send this to you. I do not like the look of the coupling (It looks like I built it ) I want this to look finished and professional. Let me know the cuts and location. I will be painting the entire tube flat black. I would rather have all black instead of the two black couplings with silver in between. Do you have a recommendation on the paint type that will cover the powder coating ? Is it simply to prep the tube with light sanding then paint with heat resistant flat black? I will also paint the straps black to have a finished look.

I hate destroying a beautiful piece but, if you are sure, I will do. Thanks for the hard work. Can the ECU be configured without cutting this ? If so I would rather spend more than changing the look.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have access to a chop saw.
What has to be done to the MAF wiring?
Mine is already at a stretch to reach where the current location is - this new location looks further away from the wiring harness.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

First of all my car was running fine with the CAI and the engine light on.
No limits on rev etc.
I currently have reset the CEL and have the original intake back on my car.

As far as the retrofit.....
I am also concerned with the placement of the MAF sensor being to far for the existing wiring to reach although in this photo it does.
It appears that the entire section circled in white it the attached photo is the section being replaced and connected by the rubber section and clamps.
Is this correct ??
If so seeing you have only sold a small number of these what is the chance of fabricating a entire new mandrel in order to avoid using the additional hose to connect the existing part to the new modded part ??
It would look more "finished" IMO.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
revisednacai.jpg (18.8 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Valk; 05-20-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Forum Regular

I agree with Valkryderguy - the rubber hose ruins a quality piece.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:57 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

I do not like the look either.. i bought this intake for performance as well as for looks.. it looks unprofessional with the retrofit piece.. it needs to all be one solid piece.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

yes the section is white is all changed, the maf will be a little bit closer then the one pictured by 3/4" or so and we even had extra slack in the wires after we cut off a few zip ties (which we can supply new ones). so since the wire in the picture doesnt need to be that long you wont need as much slack on it and reaching wont be a problem, ill make up instructions with pics for you on a virgin xfire and we will get the apporpriate wire loom size/length to use to make it unnoticable.

as for not wanting the silicone connection there...
sure i can weld them all to eliminate that conection and then have them sandblasted and then repowdercoated but that will take some time. i can even make some more up from scatch and exchange you guys out. the guys that want to paint them themselves i can get new tubes out next week ready for painting (sandblasted prepped for powdercoating).

im open for suggestions, im commited to making this right for you guys. the reason some cars are having the problem and some are not is due to the MAF sensitivity. kinda like i sold you guys turbo kits and now your clutch starts to slip, we were puting the maf slightly out of range, some maf's were able to deal with it while others were not. either way since we found a way to improve it we did so everyone gets the newer version in whichever attachment they want.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Is it possible to have a complete new mandrel made with no welded sections put together?
OR ...If it is welded will the weld be visible after sandblast and powdecoating ?
I don't want to sound picky but a welded section will not look that clean either.
Time here is not a factor. Just looking for a quality looking functional product.
Your thoughts ??

Edited:
After looking at it again there already is a weld.
It is currently in the section being replaced and a new weld would be made in a different place.
Same overall quality and appearance when completed.

Last edited by Valk; 05-21-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:19 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

i would be willing to wait for a solid unpainted piece. i would really prefer a new one made as opposed to one that has the retrofit welded on.. looks matter alot to me.. so how will that work? will you ship it out and i just swap the tubes and ship the old one back? thats really the only way it will work for me as i do not have my oem airbox anymore and cannot afford to be without my car..

Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 PM

I would rather wait and have one piece. I will have mine powder coated locally. I do not want to install the factory air-box. Le us know how you are going to handle the shipping and timing. I can have min powder coated in a day. I can return the original quickly.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Is it possible to have a complete new mandrel made with no welded sections put together?
OR ...If it is welded will the weld be visible after sandblast and powdecoating ?
I don't want to sound picky but a welded section will not look that clean either.
Time here is not a factor. Just looking for a quality looking functional product.
Your thoughts ??
Im with you i would prefer a new part with the adjustments made and powdercoated the same. Time is not a concern i will just put my stock intake back on for the time being.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

is there any damage occuring right now with the way the intake is? or is it just a light?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Your thoughts ??
there will still be one weld seam as there is with the original. we will be moving that seam a few inches towards the pass side so we can get a flush mounted maf flange. this is necessary as the 3rd bend radius is different then the first 2 hence they are bent on different machines and assembled in the welding jig.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by HyprLtH20
is there any damage occuring right now with the way the intake is? or is it just a light?
the light is because the MAF isnt happy and should be addressed (if your thinking about not changing over). the test car picked up a noticable power diference with the new setup and we will redyno it again with the new tweak. the car is much happier and i think you guys will enjoy it even more once we get you switched over.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 PM
www.CustomCrossfire.com

im not thinking about not switching.. im just wondering if i am doing any damager to the engine driving it around while i am waiting for the new one..

Old 05-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
there will still be one weld seam as there is with the original. we will be moving that seam a few inches towards the pass side so we can get a flush mounted maf flange. this is necessary as the 3rd bend radius is different then the first 2 hence they are bent on different machines and assembled in the welding jig.
Posted in 426: i can even make some more up from scatch and exchange you guys out.
OK.
My choice is to either:

1) Simply exchange it for a complete modified version of it.
2) Send you my mandrel section and have it fabricated with the new section welded and a fresh powdercoat

Now that I looked more closely at the original I see there is a weld already anyway so if that is just being removed and a new weld is made it is basically the same finished product with the weld moved and the mods made.
Thanks for all the effort you have provided. It is good to know we have people like you who stand behind their products and are committed to the customer. What is the estimated time to get this back with the mods?

Last edited by Valk; 05-21-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Forum Regular

i am very confused, and i do not mind the look of it, i really could care less i just want to get all my parts on and be good to go, what is the easiest and fastest way to get this done thats all i need to know, if i have to send it all back to you and get a completely different kit then so be it, i just want this right and i want it asap, so let me know what to do rob asap. i have the day off tomorrow, so should i swap back to stock and send the whole thing back to you or what do i need to send. and this time is it guaranteed fitment and no problems?

Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Forum Regular

rob send me the fed ex label because i am thinking that is my only option, since i can't get to a saw to cut it. correct. . also how long of a process is this, can it be overnight delivery both ways. that way i won't have to disassemble and reassemble, i willl just go without the car for couple days and borrow someones to get to work. is this kit all ready right now or no. also it is not possible for you to send me the correct parts and then i will swap them and send you back the one i have now.. that is the best option possible because i won't be without a car. like i said i am fine with the coupler you showed so that should make it easier to get me finished.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:53 PM

sent ya a pm

Old 05-21-2008, 05:28 AM

Rob, any determination on what the final resolution will be. You have a number of options and I will go with the majority on how this will be handled.
My perfect choice would be to send me a revised unit and I return the old one. This may not be an option due to cost on your part unless you can use (salvage ) the other unit.
I want to thank you for your work to get us back on the road.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by dbg55
Rob, any determination on what the final resolution will be. You have a number of options and I will go with the majority on how this will be handled.
My perfect choice would be to send me a revised unit and I return the old one.

This may not be an option due to cost on your part unless you can use (salvage ) the other unit.
I want to thank you for your work to get us back on the road.
I prefer #1 as well but whichever option, I can work with here.
My choice is to either:

1) Simply exchange it for a complete modified version of it.

2) Send you my mandrel section and have it fabricated with the new section welded and a fresh powdercoat and sent back.

Last edited by Valk; 05-21-2008 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: NeedsWings na and srt6 CAI group buy