Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Replacing Negative Battery Cable

Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Negative Battery Cable

I was curious if anyone has replaced their negative battery cable? Mine is full of currosion from the connector on the terminal, all through the acutal wire, to the ground location on the vehicle. I have bought a new cable for $9 and was wondering if there is a nut that holds the screw conntected to the actual ground on the vehicle?

What I'm trying to get at is will I need to remove some of the fender wall to acces the nut that holds the screw in place on the ground cable? I appreciate any knowledge from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Default Re: Replacing Negative Battery Cable

I replaced the cable myself and found that there is no NUT in the fender. The bolt holding the ground wire to the vehicle just screws in an out freely. I had a terrible ground connection, and after replacing the cable, cleaning both terminals, using the "grease" on the terminals, the pads under the connectors, I found that I did restore some lost horsepower. I felt a noticeable difference in starting up the engine from cold as well.

In all, I spent $11.xx and it was wroth every penny. I urge anyone with a corroded ground wire to just go ahead and changie it out, it is a very simple job, and it will definitely improve battery life, improve engine start up, and possibly resotre a little lost horsepower.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM

If one is concerned with being "grounded' replace the cable with a 6 volt cable thicker and better

Old 04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info! Thanks for the post.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alabaster04
.... it is a very simple job, and it will definitely improve battery life, improve engine start up, and possibly resotre a little lost horsepower.
I give up. How can it restore horsepower?

Old 04-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Nice tip BUT I wouldn't think it should do a thing for horsepower. Horsepower is a measurement based on how much 'work' the engine can produce, a measurement of power. The only way I could think that a replaced ground connection could induce more power would be if the ECU was hosed in some fashion. If that was the case then I would think anyone would notice some more bizarre kinda behavior from the ECU, like warning lights coming on, weird intermittent engine "issues", etc.