Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

What to do AFTER Headlight restoration to keep it fresh?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 114 Likes on 96 Posts
Default What to do AFTER Headlight restoration to keep it fresh?

Hey guys!

So, my headlights looked horrid after I bought my Crossfire last year. I bought the Meguire restoration kit and the lenses came out like new. This was a year ago, but now they are starting to become hazy again. So, eventually I will use the sandpaper/cleaning compound on it again but is there a way to keep them the way they are? I assume there is some sort of a UV filter available? If anybody has had experience with this, please let me know! It's funny how "dirty" lenses can make a car look a old compared to clean ones.

Thanks,

Nick

Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 157 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Re: What to do AFTER Headlight restoration to keep it fresh?

I too did mine about 9 months ago, and they still look like new .

2 things :

1. I installed the clear protective covers that have UV protection. ( includes fogs )
2. I do my best to never park it in the sun.

from AutoAnything | Auto Accessories & Aftermarket Parts | Truck Accessories & Car Accessories - Floor Mats, Tonneau Covers & Car Covers :

X-Pel Headlight Protection
SKU 304096 Part # H0818 Vehicle 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Submodel All Crossfire models Color Clear 1 $48.95 Ships between 09/22/2011 - 09/26/2011
FEDEX Home Delivery $48.95

Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking at adding protective film; I have a Lamin-x kit available for $35 shipped. It's only for the headlights though. On another thought.................there's nothing like having those lens clear. Always makes the car look so much better!
James

Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you used the Meguiar's HD Headlight Restoration Kit it should have had a bottle of Headlight Protectant in it. This is an excellent UV screener but you'll still need to apply it every few months (takes quite literally a few seconds per lens to apply) since it will wear off due to all the tiny impacts it will get while driving down the road. The downside to restoring headlights is that the process removes what's left of the protective coating applied at the factory. But since the lenses have yellowed, most of that factory coating is already gone anyway. In any event, the restoration process removes what little bit is left and the lenses will now degrade faster than before. Using something like the Lamin-X kit is probably the very best way to go.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I apply PlastX on my headlights about once a month in the summer months. Almost 2 years and still just like new after using the 3M kit.

James

Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother cleaned mine about 3 yrs ago ( sanding and polishing ). After he was done he wiped some kind of clear epoxy on it with a foam brush. Other than scratches it still looks goos, no yellowing at all.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 114 Likes on 96 Posts

THanks guys for the tips. I'm going to try the protective cover I think! And yes, it does make the car look old or new depending on how clean the lenses are!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:30 AM

I use Waxoyl on mine along with the seats, top, nooks and crannies. the thin film of wax is weather resistant and I don't polish it off. I still see at night. Gary

Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Blue Magic Headlight Lens Sealer, Prevents Yellowing

Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer, Removes Yellowing

Going this route myself.. applied the sealer yesterday.. really made the headlight plastic "pop".. we'll see how long it last. Was using the cleaner about once a month..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 157 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Blue Magic Headlight Lens Sealer, Prevents Yellowing

Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer, Removes Yellowing

Going this route myself.. applied the sealer yesterday.. really made the headlight plastic "pop".. we'll see how long it last. Was using the cleaner about once a month..
That was the first product I bought - did no good at all ( mine were pretty well GONE when I bought the car ).
I tried a couple of others, finally ended up with the Meguiers Heavy Duty kit, that WORKED !

Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I apply PlastX on my headlights about once a month in the summer months. Almost 2 years and still just like new after using the 3M kit.

James
James, I'm sure you are aware that this product is a cleaner/polish ONLY and provides no protection whatsoever?

Sooner or later, you will run out of lens to polish!

Just kidding.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
That was the first product I bought - did no good at all ( mine were pretty well GONE when I bought the car ).
I tried a couple of others, finally ended up with the Meguiers Heavy Duty kit, that WORKED !
I actually wet sanded mine before I found this forum and all the information. They were a nice shade of yellow with a few "hard lines" in them. Looked decent for a couple of weeks.. then the yellow was starting back and that's when I picked up the polish restore..been using it about once a month to freshen them up.. now I'll see how well the sealer does. Like I said.. they looked pretty sweet after applying..

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I use to keep mine in tip top condition. Seems to be working 8 months in. Apply every 2-3 months.

Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant forms a clear barrier over your plastic lenses to shield them from contamination and UV rays.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM

I took mine to a local detail shop that wet sands them with 6different grits then puts a high polish on them then paints a clear coat with UV inhibiters in it. guarentees it to not fade for 7 years. they now look like it just rolled of the assembly line. I constantly have peope ask me about the car as they all say thought they stopped making those but yours looks brand new and its 9 years old

Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Forum Regular

I had mine wet sanded by a detail shop then the 3M film applied over them and the fog lights. Working good so far.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM

Autogeek online and other forums discuss the use of a spar-urethane/ mineral spirits mixture that supposedly seals and protects the newly refinished lens. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like many have used this method.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by stlramfan65
Autogeek online and other forums discuss the use of a spar-urethane/ mineral spirits mixture that supposedly seals and protects the newly refinished lens. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like many have used this method.
I would dig a little deeper.. copied from a forum...
---------
It appears the cleaner Optimum Power clean, when mixed at 3 parts water, 1 part cleaner; is enough to make the urethane mix roll off the lamps like brown water. *looked similar to a bit of root beer pouring from them as I passed the wand of a pressure washer across.

-----------
I would have to believe that concern is one or two things.
First using mineral spirites to thin a urethane, does not allow true catalization to take place, first clue would be before it came off, things started to look a bit "cloudy".
Second, when apply most 1K or 2K urethanes a more "deep" sanding profile is needed.
Usually at a minimum a 220 or a 320 sanding is needed to allow "binding of the urethanes" to the surface.
Been there, done that on some projects using both urethanes.
Grumpy

Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I just recalled having this on the shelf. I just put another application on tonight. Seems to work well.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
I just recalled having this on the shelf. I just put another application on tonight. Seems to work well.

So is this what you have been using for a while or Christmas present you just opened?

I just put my first application on the 31st of last month..

Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Here's one of many posts that discuss the urethane/mineral spirits method. I can't claim a personal testimonial here, just food for thought.... Headlight restoration 50/50. - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum