Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Quarter Car Wash? Temp. Fix for Curb Rash

Old 04-01-2008 | 01:27 PM
Default Quarter Car Wash? Temp. Fix for Curb Rash

Coin Operated Carwash for a quick rinse?
I pass by a coin operated car wash every day. I have used this carwash on other cars that were not as pristine as my slightly used 2007 XF coupe. I use the rinse and spot free modes ONLY just to knock of any road salt and dirt occasionally between detailings. I let the car air dry as I complete my commute so no rubbing in case there is any residual dirt or grit. I am wondering if using this quick rinse / air dry will cause any swirl marks from the high pressure spray rinse. Any opinions will be appreciated.

Temporary fix for hated curb rash:
I found a pretty good temporary touch up method for curb rash on my wheels. I purchased my XF used with 14K miles and had minor curb rash on two wheels. I was planning to have these fixed by a wheel restoration service but meanwhile I tried some touch up paint. Big improvement. The rash is hardly noticeable. I used good old Rustoleum aluminum paint applied with a small one inch wide foam brush. The paint was a very good match for the stock wheels. I no longer cringe when I look at my wheels. It is not as good as a pro. wheel restoration but it is a huge improvement.

Old 04-01-2008 | 01:46 PM
Banned
Default Re: Quarter Car Wash? Temp. Fix for Curb Rash

I've never heard of a wash-sprayer making swirls unless it's not clean water or way to powerful or to close to the paint, try to maintain aleast 12-18 inches from paint ! Usually swirls are caused from drying or buffing. Always use a clean soft towel micro fiber are best for drying. But soft water will help.

Old 04-01-2008 | 01:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wmphipps
Coin Operated Carwash for a quick rinse?
I pass by a coin operated car wash every day. I have used this carwash on other cars that were not as pristine as my slightly used 2007 XF coupe. I use the rinse and spot free modes ONLY just to knock of any road salt and dirt occasionally between detailings. I let the car air dry as I complete my commute so no rubbing in case there is any residual dirt or grit. I am wondering if using this quick rinse / air dry will cause any swirl marks from the high pressure spray rinse. Any opinions will be appreciated.
I do the same thing with all of my vehicles. Just like Dan says, just don't hold it too close. I usually don't even use their soap mode as I think it's too strong. I once saw a guy blow one of his factory decals off by holding the wand too close. Any salt you can rinse off or dilute is a good thing.

Old 04-01-2008 | 08:00 PM

Spray away, you'll be fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the soap in those places is strong enough to strip wax, but if all you're using is the rinse/spot free rinse then I'd have zero concerns about doing so to my car.

Old 04-02-2008 | 04:39 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

I had a bottle of Testors Silver Model Paint that I used to touch up a bit of curb rash on one of my OEM wheels. The reason I used that over what you used is its thicker. Two coats and it pretty much filled in the cuts in the wheel. The color is also a perfect match.
Pat

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Spray away, you'll be fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the soap in those places is strong enough to strip wax, but if all you're using is the rinse/spot free rinse then I'd have zero concerns about doing so to my car.
that soap is way watered down, it only takes around 1.5 percent actives to get a decent amount of foam.

Old 04-08-2008 | 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by manisusmc
that soap is way watered down, it only takes around 1.5 percent actives to get a decent amount of foam.
Yes, but what exactly is the soap made of? I can get a lot of foam from certain all purpose cleaners too, but they'll take wax off. It isn't the foam, it's the chemical makeup of the cleaners/solvents.

Old 04-09-2008 | 05:11 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Yes, but what exactly is the soap made of? I can get a lot of foam from certain all purpose cleaners too, but they'll take wax off. It isn't the foam, it's the chemical makeup of the cleaners/solvents.
it's the same soap you wash your hair and *** with, sodium lauryl sulfate, for the most part, for the main wash soap, I don't know about the tire cleaner and other stuff. soap makers that make out-of-spec products that are either to dark for customer reqs., not enough actives, or a hundred other things sell off the off-grade products to people who just cut the off-grade very heavily with water and then they put it in drums or totes and sell it to car washes. the purest soap you are going to get from a car wash is from the foam brush, but if you use that then you don't care about scratching the paint.

Old 04-09-2008 | 05:44 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member

i use the .25 car washes on a regular basis... love them b/c you can clean the wheel wells and underside easily.

it's all about good pressure and hot/warm water... a must have for quality end results.

Old 04-09-2008 | 06:05 AM

I agree! I use our local $.25 carwash about twice a week and it does a great job for about 5 bucks.