Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

About to buy a srt6 coupe, need help

Old 12-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a srt6 coupe, need help

Hey all, brand new the forums. I'm looking to buy a srt6 coupe but I have a few concerns. My main concern is the carfax shows 5 past owners. This seems much higher then usual for a 2005, but then again it is a sports car. Second concern is that the milage is 60000. What kind of things/issues should I be looking for at the dealership ? Anything I can point out to possibly get some $$ knocked off? The research I've done on these cars makes me feel like they can be reliably DDed but I can assume they are above average in maintaining them. What expenses can I plan on on the near future of owning thus car, assuming it's not a lemon of course. Any other advice or words of wisdom are much appreciated as well! Thanks all

Old 12-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: About to buy a srt6 coupe, need help

Read ALL the stickies, best advice I can think of. And test everything in the car, then look for how to fix it before you buy.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Forum Regular

Whats the vin # could be my last srt-6. My vin# was 1C3AN79N25X042671 .Black coupe w/all red engine intakes,valves covers,oil catch can, with dual red needswings air intakes.
let me know and I can answer all your questions. LARRY

Old 12-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know of a nice SRT6 Roadster available. A few miles more but the top goes down.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_4490a.jpg (1.25 MB, 24 views)
Old 12-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a link that all new (or potential) owners should read:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...w-members.html

The most common problem with the SRT-6 is the Intercooler Pump fails and will cause the supercharger to work intermittently. This is not a hard fix and can be done fairly inexpensively if you are not afraid to wrench on your own car. There is a thread on replacing the pump. If you can get the S/C to act up while test driving it, you might be able to save some money on the asking price.

Seat heaters are another common problem - more than likely, they won't work. I've never had a need for them since the car warms up rather quickly, but again, it can be used as a bargaining chip.

Top, right side of the indicator lights is a light that looks like an oil can - you will see it when you turn the car to on, prior to starting the car. If you can drive the car at night, you might see this indicator light dimly glowing. Most likely, there is not a problem - the sensor in the oil pan area may be faulty. I've driven mine for 3+ years like this with no adverse affects - it might be worth a few bucks off the price.

If you can, post the add here and the members can take a look and give you advice from there.

Good luck!!

RL

Old 12-11-2015, 04:30 PM

2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 - Chrysler dealer in Chester VA ? Used Chrysler dealership serving Richmond Colonial Heights Chesterfield Petersburg VA

Heres the one i WAS looking at. After further inspection, the rims are wrong lol. Im not sure if anyone can identify the rims, but I dont think im going to be purchasing that car. there is 2 more in New Jersey im looking at which is about a 3-4 hour drive, but they both look decent. Carmax has one for its inflated price and 71k miles, but i could get it shipped and not even worry about the driving. Also who knows what will come on the market in the next week!

Old 12-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoastSteve
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 - Chrysler dealer in Chester VA ? Used Chrysler dealership serving Richmond Colonial Heights Chesterfield Petersburg VA

Heres the one i WAS looking at. After further inspection, the rims are wrong lol. Im not sure if anyone can identify the rims, but I dont think im going to be purchasing that car. there is 2 more in New Jersey im looking at which is about a 3-4 hour drive, but they both look decent. Carmax has one for its inflated price and 71k miles, but i could get it shipped and not even worry about the driving. Also who knows what will come on the market in the next week!

I did not look at the small print but those were some attractive warranties and services included which is at least a small compensation for buying from a dealer who does not know the history and care of the car.

SRT6 wheels are not cheap but they can be found. If putting the top down is not a priority you may have a nice find. You could always use these attractive wheels for your winter tires.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The IC pump is definitely the biggest failure for any SRT-6. I've replaced 5 of them, all on different cars. Takes about 45 minutes the first time. Check the AC controls. Make sure no air blows when it's turned off. If it does blow air when it's off, it's probably the blower motor resistor ($26 on eBay). Check the rear tire wear. All Crossfires are notorious for rear camber problems after some years. You can make your own adjustable camber arms for around $100. Speaking of tires, be prepared to drop close to $1,000 to replace all four because of the offset sizes. Oil changes take between 8 to 8.5 quarts of 0W40 synthetic oil and a fleece filter, never paper. Check all the pulleys on the engine. Give the water pump pulley (big, smooth black pulley) a good tug up and down to see if it wiggles or moves. They can be a pain sometimes to find the correct replacement. If I think of anything else I'll edit this.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

If I think of anything else I'll edit this.
You overlooked the obvious Chuk : THE BATTERY !
All Crossfires are very battery sensitive, if it's 5 years or more old, I'd be looking for an AGM replacement, $120 - $180

Old 12-12-2015, 12:12 PM

So one popped up on carmax for around 15k shipped with 65k miles. I'm definitely considering spending the extra $$ for peace of mind that carmax can offer. Plus is Blue which is the color I've recently been leaning toward more then the black. I just don't have good feeling about the one with the wrong rims. It's sat on the lot for months, it barely has any interest compared to the other cars in its category, and 5 owners just seems too odd for me. I'm picky I know :-(

Old 12-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EastCoastSteve
So one popped up on carmax for around 15k shipped with 65k miles. I'm definitely considering spending the extra $$ for peace of mind that carmax can offer. Plus is Blue which is the color I've recently been leaning toward more then the black. I just don't have good feeling about the one with the wrong rims. It's sat on the lot for months, it barely has any interest compared to the other cars in its category, and 5 owners just seems too odd for me. I'm picky I know :-(

I don't think you are being picky. Looking at the CARFAX, the car has been to different "quick service" oil change businesses in it's life. Which probably is a good indication that a) the wrong type oil was used and b) several different brands were used . Both would raise the red flag for me.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:45 AM

Wow i didn't even think of that! Great catch! Plus I noticed it had some damage to the passenger side fender. Sorry carmax, im not spending 1000$ extra on a car of its not exactly what I want. 4 hours to new Jersey is gonna be rough....it'll be worth it though.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:23 PM

Is this going to be a daily driver for you? If not then I would definitely consider the SRT6 Roadster!

Old 12-30-2015, 12:29 PM

This might help: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...srt6-sale.html

Old 12-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Some one buy this thing. I'm losing money now. But would be willing to part with for $7800

81K on the clock.. Oak Island, TX. See if this link works.. Otherwise its on the Chrysler Crossfire Owners group on facebook. He's needing to move to a 4 door...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2211..._comment_reply

NOTE: If your not a member of the group and hit the "join" button.. you will be sent a verification message. Your message box has an "other" tab.. please check it.. that is where the join response will be. Just the process to ensure the Owners Group is actually "owners".

Last edited by Mrmiata; 12-30-2015 at 07:26 PM.