Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

NeedsWings Intake?

Old 08-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NeedsWings Intake?

I want to hear from any and all who have installed NeedsWings tweaked stock or aluminum intakes. I will be sending my TB off to have it bored and am leaning towards the tweaked manifolds. I just wanted to get a combined list and opinion of who has them and what are your thoughts. Also explain how much tuning you did with them, results, etc. Cheers its almost the weekend

Last edited by goodgenes79; 08-13-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: NeedsWings Intake?

I am considering those tweaked intakes also but few here have them. Why do folks think every mod requires a tune? I have read where one of the members here had his motor go lean, so you add fuel with an adjustable regulator to bring the AFR's back where you run the motor at. That is all that should be needed. I think the fuel mods should be done if not already. I found a used SL55 pump on ebay for $80. shipped, filter at a low price and bought Needswings adjustable regulator. $300. and ready for any mods I may do in the future. Along with the tweaked intakes I would get the ported "Y" also as that feeds the intakes and is a restriction like the stock intakes inlet section to the intake plenums.
PS: I don't think EC has but 3 tunes that are used for an array of mods. If on a dyno then a remote tuning session can be scheduled with EC that would bring much better results than one of the email tunes. I'm running a stacked pulley combo and no tune for such except for getting the AFR's where I would like them, upper 11's to 12.2:1. I do have 2 tunes from Jerry with one just adding 1.5* of timing. Shortly I will go back to the tune without that extra timing. Been running TORCO for most of this year, that 1.5* was worth 25HP according to Jerry and my local shop.

Last edited by Sweet2002; 08-13-2015 at 07:42 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Forum Regular

Sweet, you misunderstand my post. I already have a tune for the mods I have. You need a tune to get the max out of your mods, simple as that. Having just a modified intake may not qualify the necessity for a tune but intake with pulley, etc will need it. My inquiry is who has aftermarket intake manifolds and what were the results with a tune.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ThumperSRT-6 and I both have the big manifolds, but mine aren't on the car yet. He lost a bunch of power after installing them and getting a dyno tune. We both run 12.1@114 with different setups. We are both currently running can tunes from EC (different ones) and he's finally getting it dialed back in to pre-dyno tune times. Take into account that these were hand built motors so they don't all perform the same.

Mark, you seriously need to stop trying to mod this car like it's a freaking Mustang. If you think merely adjusting your fuel pressure will get you everything you think you need, go for it. I'll wait here patiently for the post about your motor blowing up. And if you want to compare power, I'm in Naples all weekend at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chuK_138
ThumperSRT-6 and I both have the big manifolds, but mine aren't on the car yet. He lost a bunch of power after installing them and getting a dyno tune. We both run 12.1@114 with different setups. We are both currently running can tunes from EC (different ones) and he's finally getting it dialed back in to pre-dyno tune times. Take into account that these were hand built motors so they don't all perform the same.

Mark, you seriously need to stop trying to mod this car like it's a freaking Mustang. If you think merely adjusting your fuel pressure will get you everything you think you need, go for it. I'll wait here patiently for the post about your motor blowing up. And if you want to compare power, I'm in Naples all weekend at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club.
Thanks, made me laugh. I have all I need right now. I can't drive that far most likely. Tough enough for me to keep getting under the car to adjust the pressure to get the AFR's I want. THX, mark

Old 08-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goodgenes79
Sweet, you misunderstand my post. I already have a tune for the mods I have. You need a tune to get the max out of your mods, simple as that. Having just a modified intake may not qualify the necessity for a tune but intake with pulley, etc will need it. My inquiry is who has aftermarket intake manifolds and what were the results with a tune.
I've searched and did not come up with much, certainly not enough for me to make the intakes my next mod should I continue. Right now I am enjoying the stacked pulleys that were just completed a couple of weeks ago. I defer to those then who have modified or built from scratch intakes. I have a couple of EC tunes and timing is the only difference between them.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:22 AM
Forum Regular

Well it seems you answered your own question and I agree. You have a good amount of mods and have had the motor tuned while on a dyno, is that correct or all email tunes?
I believe a dyno tune with the mods beyond a Cold Air Intake, SC pulley(178mm crank pulley), etc. Is best. I need to back off some timing and get some more fuel for the last 700rpm's. From what I read from a search the tweaked intakes do flow more and thus the need for a dyno tune to reach maximum increase that can be found with the intakes. What I have seen is the amount of TORQUE they seems to be impressive. Peak HP is not the goal as with our motor peak HP is reached at redline. I look for an increase in torque and like an increase in a wide RPM range. The 178/70 pulleys I have give me an increase in that wide range. YES, I would like a DNO tune to get the most from what i have and the tweaked intakes and lower "Y" are on my list along with some exhaust mods.
Do you have a wideband O2 sensor/gauge? Knowing the AFR's are paramount at the level we both are at. Please share anything you find on the intakes, maybe from another forum? THX, Mark

Old 08-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular

Sweet2002, I do think Bigger Intake Manifolds would benefit anyone running stacked as it should lower your boost a bit and give you more adjustable A/F. Obviously once you max the charger then everything else is moot, so bigger intakes should help our little charger efficiently.

I think I read in another forum that manifolds will lower our torque a little but helping it breathe will give us some top end HP. My torque is enough to be almost unmanageable so giving me some up top is welcome. My exhaust helped open up the curve some too.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a set of 240's mani's on the roadster. He was first to tweak the stock intakes. Rob later refined 240's design, making them look stock by having a better design and weld. Both cars have better low end than stock. Like anything you add, you must adjust your tune to get the most out of them. Rob other intakes are much larger by design, and don't look stock at all. But do perform better than the tweaked set. Again, a tune is necessary. That is all I have add. Good luck with your modding.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, a word of warning, you do not want the car on the ragged edge all the time, take a balanced approach. Maybe Robs' new exhaust headers will help, giving us a bit of performance where there had not been much previously. I anxiously await for some numbers.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the tweaked manis on the car with retune and was a beast! I took those off and have the big replacement manis now! The power gain up top is amazing! I do not have before or after dyno numbers so i cant prove any hp gain or loss, but either way the car runs like a perfect champ! For any of those interested in maybe some slightly 5,000 mile used tweaked manis let me know!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I love the NW manifolds. My AFR's were .4 leaner with them and they made an additional 13 hp and 19 tq on the tune I already had. I really like them.

Les

Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Forum Regular

Sweet2002, I do think Bigger Intake Manifolds would benefit anyone running stacked as it should lower your boost a bit and give you more adjustable A/F. Obviously once you max the charger then everything else is moot, so bigger intakes should help our little charger efficiently.

I think I read in another forum that manifolds will lower our torque a little but helping it breathe will give us some top end HP. My torque is enough to be almost unmanageable so giving me some up top is welcome. My exhaust helped open up the curve some too.
Perhaps. Please do a before and after with a dyno or the track. I need to look could at the return on the dollar. Right now I need more fuel for the stacked pulleys and a new TUNE! Obviously a tune, larger injectors coming, since it is lean up top. the SC is starting to get out of it's range after 15,000rpm. I go to around 15,700, about the same as the guys with the 62mm SC pulley. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:23 PM

I've dyno'ed all my mods. Just saying.

Les

Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I've dyno'ed all my mods. Just saying.

Les
What are you putting down ??

Old 08-19-2015, 10:20 PM

The point is I answer with exact numbers with my car in year round tropical heat. Conditions don't vary much. As far as my latest numbers it depends on the rpm. I'm around 350 hp at 6000 rpm and 372 hp at 6400 rpm on the dyno I use with stock rims and tire sizes. You'll find lots of tricks to up the numbers if that's your game. It's not my way. The best test IS indeed mph in the 1/4 or 1/2 mile.

Les