Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

LateModel21's Belt Wrap Kit - Installed

Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LateModel21's Pulley Saver Kit - Installed

Originally Posted by rcompart
I want to clarify that the 62mm Karmen pulley I'm selling doesn't have anything to do with EC.

Crap, good catch, I am sorry to confuse everyone, I meant to write "SC pulley". Thanks Rudy.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
3rd day with 3 of your pulleys installed and haven't noticed any slipping or any issues. The slipping that I was noticing was only on instant let off of a WOT and it is gone. Not sure if it is more altenator pulley surface area or more belt wrap due to the smaller idler above the alternator. This is with Rudy's 62mm pulley and stock belt with stock plastic idler moved to above alternator position.

Thanks Chris!

That setup looks awesome. So awesome that I have put down a deposit for the next set to come out. Great job Chris!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Just got the proto for the pulley that replaces the factory plastic ribbed pulley (plastic ribbed pulley is/was the pulley that gets removed from next to the SC pulley and then re-installed above the alternator when adding the belt-wrap kit).

This new one is a nice double bearing pulley with a hard-black anodize on the belt surface (like the other pulleys). I went slightly larger in diameter (this is 76mm at the tip of the grooves). It still allows the use of the stock belt.

here is a pic (it the the pulley to the left)

Chris

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-02-28_18-59-52_313.jpg (1.01 MB, 57 views)
Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Very Nice! I can't wait to add one to my setup.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by latemodel21
Just got the proto for the pulley that replaces the factory plastic ribbed pulley (plastic ribbed pulley is/was the pulley that gets removed from next to the SC pulley and then re-installed above the alternator when adding the belt-wrap kit).

This new one is a nice double bearing pulley with a hard-black anodize on the belt surface (like the other pulleys). I went slightly larger in diameter (this is 76mm at the tip of the grooves). It still allows the use of the stock belt.

Chris
That sure is sharp. I wonder if there would be any belt slip on immediate let off of WOT like before? I have no slip after your pulley set up with the three including the altenator.

PM'd

Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Forum Regular

That sure is sharp. I wonder if there would be any belt slip on immediate let off of WOT like before? I have no slip after your pulley set up with the three including the altenator.

PM'd
Hi Jesse,

I am not anticipating an issue with this. The new (ribbed idler) pulley is 14mm smaller than the pulley you had in that position when you had a slipping issue ... and more to the point, your alternator's momentum has been reduced by MORE than 15% (by virtue of 15% slower speed AND slightly less rotating mass) AND it now has 15% more belt wrap.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 03-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I need to figure out what pulleys I have and where they are going. Swapping from the C3 belt wrap kit to your PSK, I can't remember what stuff is OEM and where everything originally was! Lol

Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buggin
I guess I need to figure out what pulleys I have and where they are going. Swapping from the C3 belt wrap kit to your PSK, I can't remember what stuff is OEM and where everything originally was! Lol
If you want to post (or send me) a pic of your current set-up, I will help you figure it out.

Chris

Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular

Here is my install. Figured I'd snap a good clean pic before reinstalling the fan and stuff in front.

Note:
I am using a stock length Gates belt p/n K081145 with the following pulleys:
- Latemodel21 4-pulley kit (s/c idler / center idler / tensioner / alternator)
- Eurocharged 61mm S/C pulley
- Code 3 80mm relocated pulley (above alternator)

Attached Images
pulleys.jpg (118.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM

that's a clean set up!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular

that's a clean set up!
Thanks!
Of course it would look even cleaner with LM's new 76mm instead of the Code3... Might need to swap it out. That's the only one that has questionable bearings. Also, there isn't much play left on the tensioner with the 80mm pulley.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buggin
Thanks!
Of course it would look even cleaner with LM's new 76mm instead of the Code3... Might need to swap it out. That's the only one that has questionable bearings. Also, there isn't much play left on the tensioner with the 80mm pulley.

I'll second that on the "clean engine" comment. Nice ... We should all have as clean an engine.

to be clear, when you say, "That's the only one that has questionable bearings" ... would i be correct in assuming that you are referring to the code 3 80mm ribbed?

relative to how much play is left, with the 76ribbed and the others you have installed, the tensioner should be fairly close to the center of its travel (as indicated by its travel-limit-tab).

Cheers,
Chris

Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM

I am on the waiting list for one of those too. I did notice a little belt slip the other day with a WOT but it is probably because my belt has never been replaced and it has 56k on it.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Forum Regular

I'll second that on the "clean engine" comment. Nice ... We should all have as clean an engine.

to be clear, when you say, "That's the only one that has questionable bearings" ... would i be correct in assuming that you are referring to the code 3 80mm ribbed?

relative to how much play is left, with the 76ribbed and the others you have installed, the tensioner should be fairly close to the center of its travel (as indicated by its travel-limit-tab).

Cheers,
Chris
Chris,
Sorry if I was confused anyone, the words in my head make sense... lol
Yes, the Code3 pulley has about 50-60k miles on it and is the only pulley now that isn't new. Considering I also have a new water pump and alternator now too.

And since your 76mm puts it at the center of the tensioner, my C3 80mm would be slightly closer to the end of travel. It's not too bad, but a little over half.

And for the "clean engine"... it's been in-work since November , so I took my time cleaning EVERYTHING I could. I'm super happy with the results, especially considering I have an '02...

Last edited by Buggin; 03-12-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Forum Regular

Chris

Well, its been a little while (my Galapagos Islands vacation got in the way of the test and approval process for the latest addition to the pulley set) ... but I just got a big batch of pulleys including the replacement for the factory plastic ribbed idler. Here are a couple of pics ... mounted and a close-up. Still using the stock belt and keeping the tensioner close to the center of its travel.

I am also in the process of configuring this for the 181/185 crank pulley set up. It is looking like it will use essentially the same pulleys (allowing an easy transition from big crank pulley to small SC pulley down the road if desired). The 181/185 configuration will NOT use the stock belt however.

Cheers,
Chris

Attached Images
IMG_20130412_190914_942.jpg (966.9 KB, 52 views)
IMG_20130412_190111_996.jpg (563.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Forum Regular

Nice work, as usual! Don't forget that I'm on the waiting list.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Other than being new to the idea of changing pullleys... what does a pulley saver kit do? It looks really nice but I have no clue what it does? Hell to be honest I still trying to figure out if the larger or smaller pulley for a supercharger gives more power! ha I'm over all new to pulleys in general. Any pointers?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by srtmodder
Other than being new to the idea of changing pullleys... what does a pulley saver kit do? It looks really nice but I have no clue what it does? Hell to be honest I still trying to figure out if the larger or smaller pulley for a supercharger gives more power! ha I'm over all new to pulleys in general. Any pointers?
Were it up to me, I would call this kit a "Belt wrap kit", not a pulley saver kit .... (I guess it is up to me : )

As you probably know, even in stock trim, there is a minor amount of Supercharger pulley slip. ... when members started increasing the load on the (belt to pulley contact patch of the) belt by increasing the size of the crank pulley and/or reducing the size of the SC pulley, this became a significant amount of slip (particularly with the reduced belt to pulley contact area inherent with the smaller SC pulley route).

The purpose of this kit is to eliminate belt slip (and thereby increase power) by increasing the contact area between the belt and the superchager pulley (by re-routing the belt so that it has more "wrap" on the SC pulley). Additionally, I also wanted to reduce the rotating weight (and load) where practical ... and the icing on the cake was making it look nicer than the steel (and plastic) pulleys that are found on this motor. Another consideration was to retain the stock length belt (which was achieved for this version of the kit). Relative to the load reduction, the alternator pulley is not only lightened a considerable amount, it is also re-sized to slow the alternator down by approx 15%.

hope that answers most of your questions. If not, don't hesitate to send me a note with any other questions you may have.

cheers,
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 04-13-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by srtmodder
Hell to be honest I still trying to figure out if the larger or smaller pulley for a supercharger gives more power! ha I'm over all new to pulleys in general. Any pointers?
I forgot to answer your second question ...

Think of your pulleys like the sprockets on your old 10-speed bike (27-speed, etc). The crankshaft pulley is the DRIVE pulley (like the sprocket attached to your pedal/crank assy). When you shift to a bigger front (drive) sprocket the rear wheel turns faster. The supercharger pulley (and ALL accessory pulleys like the alt, water pump, etc) is a DRIVEN pulley (like sprockets on the back wheel of your 10-speed bike). Switch to a smaller SC pulley , like shifting to a smaller sprocket on the rear wheel of your ten-speed... the supercharger/wheel spins faster.

The effect (in terms of PSI) that changing a pulley size creates is predictable. Decrease your SC pulley by x percent (or increase your crank pulley by x percent) and the volume of air being forced into the motor increases essentially by that same percentage. However, you must keep in mind that at 15psi (stockish boost level for an srt6) the SC is actually moving the equivalent of 29.7 psi (15 psi gauge plus ambient air pressure of 14.7 psi). So, for example, if X is a 10 percent increase in crank pulley size (or decrease in sc pulley size) , Your stock 15 psi does not merely go up to 16.5 psi ... it goes up to 17.97 psi. The math goes like this .... 15 psi + 14.7 PSI = 29.7 psia(PSI absolute) ...10 percent of that is 2.97 which is your gain and gets added to your original 15psig (PSI gauge) for a new total of 17.97 psig (referred to commonly as merely PSI this is the number you see on your boost gauge).

hope that helps,
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 04-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:38 PM

Well that just cleared up a bunch of questions! Chris, Thank you! Now I can understand some conversations better! ha

Quick Reply: LateModel21's Belt Wrap Kit - Installed