Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

LateModel21's Belt Wrap Kit - Installed

Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: LateModel21's Pulley Saver Kit - Installed

I can't eat cake without the icing.... bling it on!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am noticing some belt slip when I suddenly let off the gas on a hard and quick WOT......

Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
I am noticing some belt slip when I suddenly let off the gas on a hard and quick WOT......
Inspect around your alternator pulley. That seems to be where I got the most belt slip.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 PM

Thanks Anthony, It just so happens that this kit has an altenator fix as well....... What did you do to fix the altenator slip before this kit?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
Got a set of these from Chris as well and it's been a good long while since I've gotten giddy like a kid at Christmas waiting for parts to arrive. Everything looks spectacular and very well thought out. The diameters of the pulleys will lend themselves nicely to fitting with the various SC/crank pulley options available for these cars and the choice of bearings should provide for quiet and worry-free operation. I'm really digging the machining on the face and the hard anodizing on the belt surfaces. All in all, this looks like it will really add some pizzazz to an otherwise very bland accessory belt drive system. I'm with grip though on the relocation of the SC idler pulley, it looks totally out of place and I'm more than eager to pay for a matching grooved pulley. BTW, talking about everything matching, what are the chances of getting a PS and WP pulley to match? Talk about sexy-time for the front of the motor!!! LOL

Old man winter decided to rear his ugly face and spoil the fun for me though. Didn't get them installed because between the 40mph winds and the cold temps, it was in the negatives with WC so I pussed out and stayed inside where it was warm. Really looking forward to getting them on the car and a huge thank you for making this happen.

I'm Glad you like them, Rudy. I tried to go the extra mile to make them compliment the look, fit, and function of the sweet 62mm SC pulley you made happen for us.

Yer killing me, however with the ever expanding list of added pulleys ...
I am sure I can do a replacement for plastic grooved idler ... have to pick a size though ... as it gets larger, it will reduce the wrap on the alternator and will likely make the factory belt obsolete.

The power steering and water pump are not tough to do ... I suppose I could look into those as well.

Chris

Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
i could see the belt flexing on decel but hard to see how its slipping on decel.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i could see the belt flexing on decel but hard to see how its slipping on decel.
The crank pulley slows the belt, but the alternator is still turning crazy fast. I was hearing the same thing on decel.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lenin
They do look nice. I'm sure they will function well too. Chris, how are these going to be sold? Via PM or is there a web site?
Your best bet Robert, is to send me a PM or an email. There are less than a half dozen sets left.

Chris

Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by latemodel21
I'm Glad you like them, Rudy. I tried to go the extra mile to make them compliment the look, fit, and function of the sweet 62mm SC pulley you made happen for us.

Yer killing me, however with the ever expanding list of added pulleys ...
I am sure I can do a replacement for plastic grooved idler ... have to pick a size though ... as it gets larger, it will reduce the wrap on the alternator and will likely make the factory belt obsolete.

The power steering and water pump are not tough to do ... I suppose I could look into those as well.

Chris
Chris, I'm sorry. LOL They just look so purdy it be a shame to leave them in the company of the stock pulleys given they bolt on and can be replaced. If you do make a WP pulley, let me get you a drawing so it'll work with for the guys with crank pulleys too.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
It's actually quite common for the belt to slip on the alternator pulley on decel. Lots of mass you're bringing up to speed and with the small diameter and small contact area, it's just a fact of life when you try to slow it back down. A lot of alternator pulleys are now decoupling pulleys where they are like a one-way where they spin freely when spinning faster than the belt but engage when it matches the same speed.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Forum Regular

Wait a minute, what have I missed? latemodel21 has a new belt wrap kit? How many dollars? I see two new idler pulleys and a relocated idler pulley (the grooved pulley originally by the supercharger pulley). Is that right?

I relocated the small idler pulley by the supercharger to the recommended new location above the alternator once. But I was getting rubber bits worn off the belt, so I put it back. It was definitely not aligned correctly. That mounting point is not machined, so I thought it may be imprecision in the casting. Has anyone else encountered this?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by boostmonkey
Wait a minute, what have I missed? latemodel21 has a new belt wrap kit? How many dollars? I see two new idler pulleys and a relocated idler pulley (the grooved pulley originally by the supercharger pulley). Is that right?

I relocated the small idler pulley by the supercharger to the recommended new location above the alternator once. But I was getting rubber bits worn off the belt, so I put it back. It was definitely not aligned correctly. That mounting point is not machined, so I thought it may be imprecision in the casting. Has anyone else encountered this?
Hi Boostmonkey,

Not sure what contributing conditions caused the "rubber bits" to show up in your earlier experiment, BUT I can tell you that like ALL of the other pulley mounting points, this cast,flat, mounting surface is precisely parallel to the face of the crankshaft. NONE of the "mounting points" on the front of your motor are machined, they are ALL cast to a similar spec. Were I to speculate, I would guess that perhaps the pulley you put in the ribbed pulley's place (next to the supercharger pulley) failed to properly control the belt (allowing it, or perhaps even forcing it, out of proper alignment with your relocated plastic pulley pulley). If you have other questions about the pulleys, I invite you to send me a PM.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: LateModel21's Pulley Saver Kit - Installed

Iam interested in the declutching alternator pulley that is larger, ?????????? Woody

Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Might be a bit expensive, but I can see the sense in an electrical clutch ( like on the S/C ) being on both the alternator and the water pump. ( I think I'd want to keep the P/S pump )
Say have them de-energized at > 4000 RPM, think of the power savings, and I don't believe it would be a problem in a drag race scenario, road racing maybe.
Anyone thought of this ?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Might be a bit expensive, but I can see the sense in an electrical clutch ( like on the S/C ) being on both the alternator and the water pump. ( I think I'd want to keep the P/S pump )
Say have them de-energized at > 4000 RPM, think of the power savings, and I don't believe it would be a problem in a drag race scenario, road racing maybe.
Anyone thought of this ?

Rudy (and Woody) are talking about a pulley with a form of a sprag clutch .... ... no electrical clutch

Construction features of the Overrunning Alternator Pulley

Chris

Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
Iam interested in the declutching alternator pulley that is larger, ?????????? Woody
I have yet to find one compatible with these cars. Also, it won't free up any power as it only decouples when the alternator it is spinning FASTER than everything else.

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Anyone thought of this ?
You'd be better served to replace the WP and PSP with electric variants than put a clutch on them to free up HP.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
You'd be better served to replace the WP and PSP with electric variants than put a clutch on them to free up HP.
Good point, but what about an electrical clutch on the alternator to avoid the high RPM's ?
I suppose just a larger pulley on it would do as well, though .......

Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Forum Regular

Finally got the aluminum 15% under-drive pulleys in today.

They have a hard-black anodize on the belt surface like the other pulleys in the set.

All the pulleys used together still work great with the stock length belt.

I compared the voltage output of the alternator with the stock steel pulley to the output with the alum under-drive pulley. At idle with the high beams and heater blower on full, they both read the same; additionally, there is no change in output as the RPMs are brought up.

Cheers,

Chris

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-02-07_13-01-54_847.jpg (687.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg
2013-01-29_11-43-40_667.jpg (704.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I shouldn't read these threads. I will just keep my hood closed. Damn those look nice. Looks like a muscle car.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I shouldn't read these threads. I will just keep my hood closed. Damn those look nice. Looks like a muscle car.

Not sure how you define a muscle cars these days.

When I was 15, I bought my first car, a '65 GTO (3 deuces, etc) I know they called that a muscle car ... but my slk32 has more muscle and is faster so what is it if not a muscle car?

Cheers,
Chris

Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM

I like your comparison from historical muscle cars. Nice looking pulleys. Are you going to be psoting pricing? If not I can PM you.

Quick Reply: LateModel21's Belt Wrap Kit - Installed