Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!

This spring Rudy. Need to recover from Christmas.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
With the holidays and end of the year, things got really busy for me so sorry for the lack of updates but here's the big one that you guys have been waiting so patiently for.

I got around to installing the IC right after Christmas and have had it in the car for about two weeks now. After lots and lots of highway pulls, I've noted lots of improvement although it's mixed bag. Nothing bad, it's just that this upgrade will really go hand in hand with supercooler as the stock heat exchanger won't let you realize the full potential this thing has to offer. It really takes the heat out of the air charge and by really, I mean you can saturate the coolant in the IC circuit with heat very quickly if you're flogging the car. I'm running a relatively small heat exchanger and when the coolant is cool, the IATs stay cooler for longer than they would with the factory IC for about half a highway pull. After that, they're at the same temps as they would be with the factory IC. If I had more capacity in the cooling circuit, this would be extended as there would be more coolant to heat up and if I had a more efficient heat exchanger, it would keep it cooler, longer regardless of the volume.

The other benefit is the motor is no longer ingesting coolant. A factory core would have fixed this problem but only for a while and the longevity with them just isn't there. My second factory IC only had 35k on it when it wet the bed (no pun intended) so it's just a matter of time before I'd have to replace it a third time due to it cracking and leaking cooling. Those problems that plagued the factory core aren't an issue with these due to the difference in core design and manufacturing and these cores are capable of 500HP and 2.5bar (~36PSI) so pretty much anything these cars can throw at it, it will easily handle.

Price is $1000 and there is a 2-week lead time on them from the time the order is placed as they are being manufactured on an as-ordered basis.

Please email me at rcompart@gmail.com for more information or to place an order.

Awesome, thanks for making this happen, and adding to your list of contributions to the forum. I wonder if a wipple will retrofit?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IN... and paid for!

Perfect timing as I'm core-less at the moment...

Thank Rudy!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll watch for more information on temperatures and user feedback. At the same time I want to have a spare I/C on the shelf for when my new one starts pissing.

Les

Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
Awesome, thanks for making this happen, and adding to your list of contributions to the forum. I wonder if a wipple will retrofit?
no whipple has its own i/c

Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
no whipple has its own i/c
A different project already started before this one completed then? This must be a 2005 or newer to be a true wipple and not the previous Lysholm style.

serious shopcam recomendation....Rudywhipplecharger_zps8e4a6936.jpg

BTW nice visiting the whiplle website, copper i/c cores? BA
Whipplecopperintercoolercore_zps31410bf5.jpg

Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
A different project already started before this one completed then? This must be a 2005 or newer to be a true wipple and not the previous Lysholm style.

serious shopcam recomendation....

BTW nice visiting the whiplle website, copper i/c cores? BA

Does this core and sc actually exist??

Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going by the pictures it does

Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Receiving quite a few PM's and emails regarding these. A few have gone out and more are in the process of being made to fill current orders. The intercoolers are $1000 plus shipping and can be purchased HERE. These come with longer bolts due to a thicker flange where the IC mounts to the SC outlet but like the OEM replacement, it does not include gaskets. Needswings has a kit for those that want to do the recommended complete replacement and also has the SC oil which is a great thing to change while the SC is off the motor and easier to drain.

Lead time on the intercooler is about 2-3 weeks. These can also be thermal coated by Needswings on a per request basis.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 PM

very neat link - straight to the cash register....;>)
No - I mean all respects - great work!
Did you try to source a copper cooler but had to settle for aluminium?
My calcs are showing copper maybe significantly better.

b22b

Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Billy22Bob
very neat link - straight to the cash register....;>)
No - I mean all respects - great work!
Did you try to source a copper cooler but had to settle for aluminium?
My calcs are showing copper maybe significantly better.

b22b
Copper cores would be awesome until you got the bill. Roughly 1.5x more efficient when compared size wise but the core alone is about 4x the price plus you'd need a machined billet housing and those aren't cheap either. As for the link, people have been asking how to pay so I posted it up vs sending them the same thing via email or PM.

Take care

Last edited by rcompart; 02-19-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Rudy this is an EXCELLENT addition to the products in your line that you have made happen for us here, thanks again!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 PM

Copper cores would be awesome until you got the bill. Roughly 1.5x more efficient when compared size wise but the core alone is about 4x the price plus you'd need a machined billet housing and those aren't cheap either.
Yes - an homologation of a HX (CAC) model I'm setting up and some preliminary figures from Waldigs testing at 2gpm is indicating an 80% increase in "universal heat transfer coefficient U" when copper is employed over aluminium. When you take calcs v reality - your ref to 50% is "in the ball park"
To put 50-80% into perspective, Waldig's doubling the flow rate from 2-4gpm (series CAC) yielded a 10% increase in heat transfer to the air (assume similar in reverse).
Rcompart - Have you any leads as to a source for such a suitably sized unit in copper?

As for the inlet and outlet heads - yes machined copper would be tedious for a single unit.
There isnt any significant loads on the unit as it sits and hangs under the charger so I wonder if it would be more economical to do them in cast brass, rather than machined copper (if production was stepped up to >5units).

Preaching to the converted.....but it still comes down to the weakest link - the CAC maybe able to "do da bidness", but the IC may not.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 PM

Yes - an homologation of a HX (CAC) model I'm setting up and some preliminary figures from Waldigs testing at 2gpm is indicating an 80% increase in "universal heat transfer coefficient U" when copper is employed over aluminium. When you take calcs v reality - your ref to 50% is "in the ball park"
To put 50-80% into perspective, Waldig's doubling the flow rate from 2-4gpm (series CAC) yielded a 10% increase in heat transfer to the air (assume similar in reverse).
Rcompart - Have you any leads as to a source for such a suitably sized unit in copper?

As for the inlet and outlet heads - yes machined copper would be tedious for a single unit.
There isnt any significant loads on the unit as it sits and hangs under the charger so I wonder if it would be more economical to do them in cast brass, rather than machined copper (if production was stepped up to >5units).

Preaching to the converted.....but it still comes down to the weakest link - the CAC maybe able to "do da bidness", but the IC may not.
Sorry to pull you out of cloud nine but I think it's time for reality to set in. Building an intercooler with a copper core will cost north of 3 grand and unless you're running an ice tank, you're not going to remove enough heat from the coolant with the aluminum core intercoolers we're building now so a copper core wouldn't do any better.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Sorry to pull you out of cloud nine but I think it's time for reality to set in. Building an intercooler with a copper core will cost north of 3 grand and unless you're running an ice tank, you're not going to remove enough heat from the coolant with the aluminum core intercoolers we're building now so a copper core wouldn't do any better.
sure - hence my trailing statement in previous post...
just in case, for those not understanding my terminology -
CAC = charge air cooler - the one under the supercharger....
IC = the intercooler behind the front bumper....

"Cool"....
.....but can someone shed any light on the question....
"Have you any leads as to a source for such a suitably sized unit in copper?"
names, links, info? I understand this might be considered IP - and I'm fine with that if you dont want to divulge.
Eg: .......Allied Heat Transfer

or with fear of possibly really over stretching the friendship .....maybe some dims A,B,C as per image attach....PM me if you like.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CoolerModuleDim.jpg (78.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Billy22Bob; 02-23-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 PM

some things can and will be over engineered. There always has to be a happy medium.... Copper anything here in the states is expensive. So aluminum is substituted when light metals or heat compensating of manufacturing are required here. Copper and brass values have been high for a very long time. Exotics metals are a good example as well. Some very good aerospace metals out there for strength and weight, but who can afford them? We aren't driving Bugatti's for reason. We aren't rich on here or I would be in a ZR1.....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 02-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM

sure - hence my trailing statement in previous post...
just in case, for those not understanding my terminology -
CAC = charge air cooler - the one under the supercharger....
IC = the intercooler behind the front bumper....

"Cool"....
.....but can someone shed any light on the question....
"Have you any leads as to a source for such a suitably sized unit in copper?"
names, links, info? I understand this might be considered IP - and I'm fine with that if you dont want to divulge.
Eg: .......Allied Heat Transfer

or with fear of possibly really over stretching the friendship .....maybe some dims A,B,C as per image attach....PM me if you like.
The intercooler and charge air cooler are one in the same. The heat exchanger is up front behind the bumper. As for the the dimensions of cores we're making these intercoolers with, you'll have to buy one of them if you'd like to get the sizes. Sorry.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

good job Rudy, not now but one day i would like to replace my intercooler with one of yours and I hope I can do it before i have a problem with mine ,, cost to replace and clean up all the damage that Leak will do,,it is better to replace it before the leak happens/ be in touch. Thanks Rudy for all the great work you do for us. jim

Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 PM

Ok Rudy. Keep these alive. It will be late summer before I can pony up for 2. Preventive maintenance.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
good job Rudy, not now but one day i would like to replace my intercooler with one of yours and I hope I can do it before i have a problem with mine ,, cost to replace and clean up all the damage that Leak will do,,it is better to replace it before the leak happens/ be in touch. Thanks Rudy for all the great work you do for us. jim
The V8 intercooler would be a little more work since there's a bypass valve that needs to lined up as well but we can certainly make it happen.

Quick Reply: New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!