Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!

Old 01-20-2023, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!

Originally Posted by rcompart
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

UPDATE:

These upgraded intercoolers are finished and can be purchased via the PayPal links below.

Accelerated Intercooler Upgrade for SRT6/32AMG - $1050 plus shipping

Accelerated Intercooler Upgrade for SRT6/32AMG w/ Installation Kit - $1240 plus shipping

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I've seen enough threads about the old and busted OEM Intercooler. Know what I think... Fugetaboutit! So since we're not talking about that thing anymore, how about we discuss new IC cores and what they can offer. This isn't a hacked up air-to-air core but a custom sized air-to-water core made especially for this particular application. Inlet, outlet, endtanks and everything else will be scratch-built with only three things in mind, performance, fit and reproducibility. No preorders or anything at this time, just building it for my own car as my second OEM core just started wetting the bed after only being in the car 35k. If it works out, perhaps these will be available in the future.

For your viewing pleasure.

Hello I noticed this is an old form do you still make the intercooler upgrade?

Old 01-20-2023, 03:01 PM
Received 249 Likes on 189 Posts

I think Needswings now carries the accelerated intercooler

Old 01-20-2023, 03:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
I think Needswings now carries the accelerated intercooler
Put me down for one if this is true. Is it? Rob's website mentions that he has limited stock left of the OEM Garrett CAC.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:06 AM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

the aftermarket IC's have not been produced in years, i have a few NEW OLD STOCK OEM IC's here left on the shelf (they have a 2006 build date), 1 used good one and a stack of dead leaking ones. not sure of the path we will need to take once they are all gone, the road is running out quickly.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice 1/4 mile

Old 03-03-2023, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
the aftermarket IC's have not been produced in years, i have a few NEW OLD STOCK OEM IC's here left on the shelf (they have a 2006 build date), 1 used good one and a stack of dead leaking ones. not sure of the path we will need to take once they are all gone, the road is running out quickly.
Hi Rob, I recall seeing an IC opened up to show the leaking welds (perhaps it was Woody?). I guess it's just not cost effective for a good welder/fabricator to reburbish(open up,clean,re-weld,pressure test)those old leaky ones? And then offered for sale w/o a guarantee?
Bob

Old 03-03-2023, 05:21 PM

if yours is not leaking or u get it fixed , the next thing is to separate your water system with Needswings intercooler fluid isolation kit
then you will have 0 pressure in that 1/2 of the radiator system.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:58 PM

if yours is not leaking or u get it fixed , the next thing is to separate your water system with Needswings intercooler fluid isolation kit
then you will have 0 pressure in that 1/2 of the radiator system.
"Get it fixed" you say? Please elaborate, has anyone done this? I completely agree with you, and yes, I've completely separated and added fill reservoir many moons ago. Mine is not leaking, but I wanted to see if anyone is, or could, fix these for the benefit of any of us who may spring a leak in the future (after Rob extinguishes his supply). Rob would know best about the feasibility for repair I would think. Hoping he will chime in here with his thoughts. Inquiring minds, and those of us who will own our SRT's to the end of days, want to know.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:21 PM

i would either wait until u need it, then send to rob or get a spare now so your car will not be out if service for a month waiting /finding a good one.

Old 03-04-2023, 12:49 AM

i would either wait until u need it, then send to rob or get a spare now so your car will not be out if service for a month waiting /finding a good one.
Then send to Rob? So now you're saying that Rob fixes them? What am I missing here Jim?

Old 03-04-2023, 08:32 AM

Last i heard yes rob will fix it or tell u it is too far gone call him his number is in,,, list of knowledgeable repair shops.
he is in central time

Old 03-04-2023, 09:01 AM
Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

Completely agree. Get a spare. They are easier to find and usually a bit cheaper when you DONT NEED ONE RFN

The RFN factor has an increase in cost associated because when you need one, there are non posted on eBay.

if you have some space, it’s a good idea to start collecting a second or third of the really hard to find items. Spares are always a lot more cost effective when you dont need them. If the item is rare, it may increase in value when you no longer need them down the road.

Old 03-04-2023, 11:58 AM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

we do not repair them, all that i have seen tried have not held and ended up replacing the intercooler. that is for the ones that were lucky enough to crack in a pace that was reachable after cutting it open, if the crack is anywhere other than a "perfect" spot to crack there cannot even be an attempt.

Old 03-04-2023, 03:33 PM

Thanks for everyone's response. I appreciate the info. and good advice. Sure wish that Rudy and/or Accelerated would make another batch, and have them available for those in need in the future. My fault for not getting one of his as a spare when they were available. Always the money issue unfortunately.

Old 03-04-2023, 05:17 PM
Received 429 Likes on 377 Posts

Doesn't the Mercedese SLK32 AMG Intercooler interchange?

Old 03-05-2023, 12:27 AM
JSK
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Doesn't the Mercedese SLK32 AMG Intercooler interchange?
I just searched fcp euro and autohaus az for slk32amg Intercooler and found nuttin.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:28 AM
Received 246 Likes on 203 Posts

I may have gotten the last "new" intercooler sold by Rob. When he is so very decent to warn us, I take heed of advice. Ditto on the SKREEM module when Rob could still get the virgin ones programed. Hoping I never need them, but I have both of them in my shop should the need arise. NO they are NOT for sale.

I know radiator shops have built custom sized heater cores for me in the past and I would think should the need arise an Intercooler could be built. Hopefully there are still some shops around with the kowledge to do that type of work; Back in the days it was common to make your own.

The advice of getting that super charger cooling system separated from the engine is very important and then be very particular as to what you use as coolant. I'm using DEI because it has no phosphate; Similar to the Mercedes recommended engine coolant GO5 but made specifically for intercoolers.

Old 03-05-2023, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Thanks for everyone's response. I appreciate the info. and good advice. Sure wish that Rudy and/or Accelerated would make another batch, and have them available for those in need in the future. My fault for not getting one of his as a spare when they were available. Always the money issue unfortunately.

Wow, if you really need one, you really don’t need to look to hard.
i found one in 35 seconds for $450 on EBay. Noted that 20 people are currently watching it.
It can be yours, you just have to press the buy now button. $450 is really cheap for an item that is critical
if you have a SC engine and you’ll receive it in a few weeks. No messing around, it’s a bolt in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25513857646...Bk9SR4bKuaTWYQ

Old 03-05-2023, 10:30 AM

2 more when I searched C32 AMG. If you need one, they’re out there

one ships from Canada $420 CDN

Old 03-06-2023, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Wow, if you really need one, you really don’t need to look to hard.
i found one in 35 seconds for $450 on EBay. Noted that 20 people are currently watching it.
It can be yours, you just have to press the buy now button. $450 is really cheap for an item that is critical
if you have a SC engine and you’ll receive it in a few weeks. No messing around, it’s a bolt in.
I should have been more clear. I don't need one right now, mine is hanging in there. I am in fact one of those "20 people" watching. It's just that if and when it does "wet the bed" as Rudy used to say, I would have found the money to purchase one of his better upgraded CAC's if they were still available. It's definitely not an easy bolt on; it's a good bit of effort to replace. When I last had my intake system all apart, I followed Woody's lead and flushed it several times and pressure tested to 24p.s.i. Had I had the funds available, I would have bought the upgrade then, and have less worry about a future shoddy OEM weld leak. For better or worse, the reality for me is that I'll wait for it to break to start the search. The good news is that it's not a D.D.

Quick Reply: New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!