Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Please help diagnose a clicking noise.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help diagnose a clicking noise.

My car makes a clicking noise whenever the supercharger engages, it is pretty rapid. It might be supercharger related because when I had a bad IC pump there was absolutely no such noise. Does this sound like the supercharger bearing, I'm pretty sure this noise is not normal. Is the bearing likely to make the noise when the supercharger is engaged or disengaged? - I'm thinking disengaged and therefore I'm confused. Has anybody had a similar issue? The car seems to run great with no issues that I can see and pulls pretty good.

Last edited by xman03; 10-23-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Banned
Default Re: Please help diagnose a clicking noise.

Just to clarify, the noise happens when I'm driving and pressing the gas and the supercharger engages. At light load and normal/light driving there is absolutely no noise. I can hear it louder when driving next to cement dividers/walls and it seems to be more pronounced on the driver's side. How likely that it is the clutch/bearing?

I just recently purchased the car and it is bone stock, acceleration wise it seems to be identical to the stock acceleration videos such as this one:

I was also watching the following video and it seems that the supercharger is always on during even the lightest acceleration once going 10mph+

Does that sound right? My other guess would be a very small exhaust leak that lets through the exhaust gases during heavier acceleration - more exhaust flow because I can smell fuel during moderate/hard acceleration and only with windows down.

Last edited by xman03; 10-23-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Here's a link to my SC pulley bearing noise. You might try this technique to see if you get a similar noise.

SC Pulley Clutch Noise.MOV - YouTube

I replaced the pulley bearing and all is good.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Banned

O wow, mine definitely doesn't do that. In fact it seems very smooth when I rotate it by hand. Yours reminded me of a really bad wheel bearing lol.. I can't even count a number of bad wheel bearings I have replaced in my old cars and for friends - the rear wheel bearings on Hondas always go bad.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

It seems to be the exact problem that a few members experienced in this thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-possibly.html Did any of you guys diagnose/resolve this issue? I can say 100% it's not the engine (bad IC pump = no supercharger = no noise). It might not be supercharger related because during lighter loads there is no noise at all (Initially I thought supercharger engages only during heavier loads but the above video seems to tell a different story). The sound is in fact RPM dependent as in that thread, driver's side. I know what noisy valves sound like and it's definitely not it. Please help!

It would make sense if there was a leak at the header collector flange (sound is coming right from that area and I can smell fuel during moderate/heavy acceleration. The noise is directly correlated to fuel smell. The longer I accelerate with the noise present, the more fuel I smell), as a quick test I could use real steel which is a bit weaker than JB weld to temporarily seal that area to see if that's the problem - that stuff will burn off completely in a few days but it smells pretty bad during the process .

I guess I wasn't thinking about the collector flanges but it would make sense as the exhaust flow pushes them slightly apart and you get fuel smell and the ticking noise from them making contact which would be rpm dependent. How would an exhaust shop go about fixing this? Would they need a new doughnut looking gasket and is it something that they would have?

Last edited by xman03; 10-23-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Forum Regular

Does the clicking noise stop as you roll up to a complete stop and the SC shuts down? On a quiet street try that. If the click disappears with the SC whine-stoppage, it will be EZ-er to diagnose. If it still clicks at idle w no SC, the exhaust idea from above is something to look at. A quick exhaust check might be a good thing to do at a local muffler shop that is trusted couldn't hurt.