Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Too much funk?

Old 09-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Too much funk?

Originally Posted by waldig
Thanks, The antifreeze can be many colors , mine is the prestone neon green. The color I see is a combination of water-anti freeze and oil vapor making a slurry. The stuff has coated the passages and caused the poor performance. Woody
Stands to reason this could be the reason I was getting a poor idle and a P0105 code. The P0105 is the whole reason I'm diggin into the manis, because I had to remove them to access the MAP sensor.

When the car cranked and idled fine, she ran like a raped ape. Trick was, getting it to idle.

No wonder the MAP sensor was on the blink...

Old 09-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, that coolant does not look good, and you are considerably low. You should be full when the level is to where the clear meets the black. I would bet you need to add at least half a gallon, wouldn't be surprised if it took more than that.
Flush that puppy out before you do any running and try to locate the blue stuff for a refill.
Good luck!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFreak69
John, that coolant does not look good, and you are considerably low. You should be full when the level is to where the clear meets the black. I would bet you need to add at least half a gallon, wouldn't be surprised if it took more than that.
Flush that puppy out before you do any running and try to locate the blue stuff for a refill.
Good luck!
I spoke with Steve last night regarding the coolant color, he said there was a MB-approved fluid that was orange. No junk in the coolant itself, it's clean and crystal clear.

I bought the car with 42K on the clock, 52K on it now and the fluid is as clear as apple juice. So, I don't think there's anything to be overly concerned with. Nonetheless, I will do a full flush and fill with the MB blue.

We did some open-heart surgery on the car this morning, she was definitely nasty. The intercooler was misting every sensor after it, the IAT sensor was completely coated. MAP sensor was relatively clean but it was generating a code.

I think the pictures speak for themselves

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG1799.jpg (140.9 KB, 54 views)
IMAG1801.jpg (285.4 KB, 62 views)
IMAG1802.jpg (260.8 KB, 60 views)
IMAG1803.jpg (297.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 09-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like sumthin' Freckles lets out once in a while...

Old 09-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 502 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I spoke with Steve last night regarding the coolant color, he said there was a MB-approved fluid that was orange. No junk in the coolant itself, it's clean and crystal clear.

I bought the car with 42K on the clock, 52K on it now and the fluid is as clear as apple juice. So, I don't think there's anything to be overly concerned with. Nonetheless, I will do a full flush and fill with the MB blue.

We did some open-heart surgery on the car this morning, she was definitely nasty. The intercooler was misting every sensor after it, the IAT sensor was completely coated. MAP sensor was relatively clean but it was generating a code.

Hey a quick Q? The 4th picture top center, is that a hole in the tube I see? First tube top center?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Looks like sumthin' Freckles lets out once in a while...
That's roughly how it was running, too...

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Hey a quick Q? The 4th picture top center, is that a hole in the tube I see? First tube top center?
Could be, but if you can spot a single flaw in that big dose of f*ckup then you're a better mechanic than me

I think there's enough wrong with that I/C to give it the goodbye wave, no questions asked.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Looking at the color I think it is orange and therefore be Dex-Cool an OAT coolant, I have looked for other orange coolants and I cannot find any. Dex-Cool (OAT) an G05 (HOAT) do not mix. OAT is generally avoided from what I see.

I too would like to replace mine with the blue OEM coolant but it may be hard to find. MB coolant is G05 and as such the blue will mix with the yellow Valvoline G05 no problem. Local MB shops probably use Valvoline G05 anyway and it may come in a MB bottle at twice the price according to my research.

I am resigned to using the yellow coolant.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Great news, everyone! Grip-grip was able to pin down an intercooler for me, and with the expert help of Steve, the car was finally reassembled today. Car started right up, and has been running like a champ since. I took it for a ~150 mile drive and pulled over a few times to make sure everything was buttoned up properly, and saw no signs of and leaks. So, the car appears to be ready for the private event this weekend.

I searched for G-05 coolant and couldn't find a local joint that carried it (didn't think of Valvoline until I read this thread). So, I ended up buying two jugs of the Mopar HOAT red fluid... Same stuff as the MB Blue, and likely as expensive. Blue wasn't available, but I'm not picky on color as long as it's approved. Will separate IC system from engine system in a few days, but wanted to simply get everything together and running today.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations... back in the saddle. A couple of great buds you have there.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
A couple of great buds you have there.
Understatement of the year, Anthony and Steve are priceless.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i couldnt figure out why it took 6 hrs to install the i/c and s/c. then i came home removed the front seats, deleted the rear seats, installed the 4 point rollcage and fixed my rear view mirror in about 3 hrs. NO JOHN! having all my tools in one place helps also! glad to see you back on the road homie looking forward to this weekends racing!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i couldnt figure out why it took 6 hrs to install the i/c and s/c. then i came home removed the front seats, deleted the rear seats, installed the 4 point rollcage and fixed my rear view mirror in about 3 hrs. NO JOHN! having all my tools in one place helps also! glad to see you back on the road homie looking forward to this weekends racing!
Hey, truckdriver....don't be trying out that roll cage....here me.....lol:cool
And, now that you all have confused the crap out of the old guy, can I mix the G05 yellow coolant with my blue... I lost a little installing my separation kit on the roadster awhile ago. Trying to get ready for a weekend in Chi-Town....

Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Understatement of the year, Anthony and Steve are priceless.

I'd like to think I'm a decent enough guy.

By the way, can you pull the AIT sensor and let me know if all is well?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Hey, truckdriver....don't be trying out that roll cage....here me.....lol:cool
And, now that you all have confused the crap out of the old guy, can I mix the G05 yellow coolant with my blue... I lost a little installing my separation kit on the roadster awhile ago. Trying to get ready for a weekend in Chi-Town....
From my knowledge the answer is yes, you can mix different colors of HOAT but not different types like OAT and the rest of the types.
The only difference in what you have is the dye in the coolant.
Add a lot of Zerex-05 and you will get green in the tank.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
From my knowledge the answer is yes, you can mix different colors of HOAT but not different types like OAT and the rest of the types.
The only difference in what you have is the dye in the coolant.
Add a lot of Zerex-05 and you will get green in the tank.
I found Preston Dex-Cool supposedly for aluminum radiators with the additives. I can't find the blue at all....

Well, at this point, I guess it is time to just drain it all out and pick one to put back in.....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 09-18-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I found Preston Dex-Cool supposedly for aluminum radiators with the additives. I can't find the blue at all....

Well, at this point, I guess it is time to just drain it all out and pick one to put back in.....
DO NOT USE DEX COOL it is an OAT coolant and there have been lawsuits over it. It makes sludge in the system. Use an HOAT type only.
Dex-cool Contamination

Old 09-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Forum Regular

That's what mine looked like last year when I put in my catch can... guess I'll R2 the intercooler this winter... Mo money Mo problems. lol

Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Buggin
That's what mine looked like last year when I put in my catch can... guess I'll R2 the intercooler this winter... Mo money Mo problems. lol
How many miles on yours? Also, are you running separated system?

Cheers,

Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM

When doing some research Dave, I read the same article. I didn't use the OAT...I just need a quart to top off what I had. Once I get down to the MB dealer, I will order enough of the new MB gold to flush and do both cars...should last my life time...lol

Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Forum Regular

How many miles on yours? Also, are you running separated system?

Cheers,
I'm at 88k mi now. Found that mess around 84k. Separated system since maybe 55k and running a Ford lightning pump since 15k mi (basically same as stock).

Quick Reply: Too much funk?