Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Possible I/C Pump Replacement

Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible I/C Pump Replacement

I've managed to order the wrong I/C pump, the pump that I ordered was an update to Bosch 0 392 022 003, part number 0 392 022 010. Supposedly our stock pumps, Bosch 0 392 022 002, are nearly the same as the Bosch 0 392 022 003 except for the connection and the inlet and outlet size. Supposedly the Bosch 0 392 022 010 is for V12's only but I know it has been used on at least one 2002 C32 AMG as a replacement to the Bosch 0 392 022 003 which only some of them were fitted with, supposedly it has similar flow rates to the Johnson CM30. How much do the inlet and outlet size matter for the vehicle, if I was able to get this pump onto my car would it likely cause damage? How does the size of the inlet and outlet play into the pressure that the pump puts out? I feel that there are too many factors that I'm probably missing for me to decide that this is a reasonable or downright bad idea. By default I assume bad idea, but I'd like to know what others think about it.

[B]Solved: I believed that I had made a mistake when ordering this part due to inaccuracies in the information that I was finding on these pumps through forums and google. The stock I/C Pump is Bosch 0 392 022 003. For future reference, the Bosch 0 392 022 010 is compatible with our cars, without modification. You can find them cheap on amazon.

Last edited by Archaic; 07-23-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Possible I/C Pump Replacement

I've got a CM30 locally if you want it. I really can't help with your question. Maybe you can meet up with some of us local guys at Beech Bend when it cools off a little. Have you every raced at the track?

Last edited by grip grip; 06-27-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 263 Likes on 201 Posts

if I were you I would get the stock or OEM replacement. The reason is the intercooler that is under the supercharger, with the larger pumps blowing holes in them. And that my friend is very expensive to replace.
If you haven't gotten up yet look it up on Needswings he has the original OEM with a little wiring harness to hook it up, or of course you go to the dealer and if they have it pay the big bucks for it. whichever way you decide to go good luck. Jim

and just for information I have a stock factory pump that has been running with my V8, over a year now with absolutely no problems and no failures.

Last edited by amx1397; 06-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Bosch 010 is the updated version.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by grip grip
I've got a CM30 locally if you want it. I really can't help with your question. Maybe you can meet up with some of us local guys at Beech Bend when it cools off a little. Have you every raced at the track?
Yes, I've been racing a friend's SRT-6 with him at Music City Raceway and I just purchased mine last week... I believe there's a forum member that goes on Friday night for test and tune, with another fellow that has an 04 SLK32 AMG. We usually head to other tracks when we get rained out, I haven't been to Beech Bend yet as this is a new hobby for me and it got rained out when we were headed there. I'll be sure to go check it out, when do you guys usually run? And I sent a PM asking about the CM30.

Last edited by Archaic; 06-27-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
if I were you I would get the stock or OEM replacement. The reason is the intercooler that is under the supercharger, with the larger pumps blowing holes in them. And that my friend is very expensive to replace.
If you haven't gotten up yet look it up on Needswings he has the original OEM with a little wiring harness to hook it up, or of course you go to the dealer and if they have it pay the big bucks for it. whichever way you decide to go good luck. Jim

and just for information I have a stock factory pump that has been running with my V8, over a year now with absolutely no problems and no failures.
The information about these pumps seems to be all over the place. Some say the Johnson is more reliable and flows better, others say the flow rate is the same. Some say the Johnson can cause leaks, others say that's not the cause. After reading https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tercooler.html I feel fairly comfortable installing the Johnson CM30, mainly because I'm on a limited income and would rather not replace the I/C Pump every 15,000 miles. I wish that I knew which I/C Pump NeedsWings is selling... I think I may, at least, go ahead and separate the cooling systems at the same time though to prevent strain on the intercooler which hopefully will minimize the chance of the intercooler leaking. If you know something about this that I don't, which is likely, please let me know.

Last edited by Archaic; 06-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Archaic
The information about these pumps seems to be all over the place. Some say the Johnson is more reliable and flows better, others say the flow rate is the same. Some say the Johnson can cause leaks, others say that's not the cause. After reading https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tercooler.html I feel fairly comfortable installing the Johnson CM30, mainly because I'm on a limited income and would rather not replace the I/C Pump every 15,000 miles. I wish that I knew which I/C Pump NeedsWings is selling... I think I may, at least, go ahead and separate the cooling systems at the same time though to prevent strain on the intercooler which hopefully will minimize the chance of the intercooler leaking. If you know something about this that I don't, which is likely, please let me know.
Needswings is selling the 010

Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Needswings is selling the 010
Where did you find this information? My information points to part number 5135368-AA as our stock pumps, which is Bosch 002, the 010 has a larger inlet and outlet which means that our stock hoses shouldn't fit. I could be wrong, found a thread stating that our stock pump is 5135368-AC which would likely be Bosch 003 but I've had no luck finding any information pointing to that. If that is the case this pump is indeed compatible and is likely what NeedsWings sells.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Yes, I've been racing a friend's SRT-6 with him at Music City Raceway and I just purchased mine last week... I believe there's a forum member that goes on Friday night for test and tune, with another fellow that has an 04 SLK32 AMG. We usually head to other tracks when we get rained out, I haven't been to Beech Bend yet as this is a new hobby for me and it got rained out when we were headed there. I'll be sure to go check it out, when do you guys usually run? And I sent a PM asking about the CM30.
I know your friend (can't recall his name). His SRT6 is SSB like mine. I'm the guy that goes on Friday sometimes, and the SLK guy is Steve (32Krazy). I haven't been lately due to the heat. No fun going and running 7.7's and 7.8's.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM

I know your friend (can't recall his name). His SRT6 is SSB like mine. I'm the guy that goes on Friday sometimes, and the SLK guy is Steve (32Krazy). I haven't been lately due to the heat. No fun going and running 7.7's and 7.8's.
Yep, that's him. His name is Bill. I went to New Jersey to pick mine up last week for $7,610, 2005 Crossfire SRT-6 Graphite Metallic... only had 25,800 miles on it. The former owner dinged it up a good bit, but nothing that's not easily fixable. Have you seen the mods that he's made for his yet? He swears up and down that he's going to get to the 7.7's before too long, he doesn't want to push it too far because it is his daily driver.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:09 PM

Yep, that's him. His name is Bill. I went to New Jersey to pick mine up last week for $7,610, 2005 Crossfire SRT-6 Graphite Metallic... only had 25,800 miles on it. The former owner dinged it up a good bit, but nothing that's not easily fixable. Have you seen the mods that he's made for his yet? He swears up and down that he's going to get to the 7.7's before too long, he doesn't want to push it too far because it is his daily driver.
You got a great deal, congrats. Last time I saw him run he had a custom Y-splitter and dual intake. The problem with it is that the filters were in the engine bay. I think he might get Bullard Machine to machine his pulley down for more boost, but that's the last I heard. What else has he done and what's on your list? By the way, I have a used heat exchanger that's much larger than stock in the garage. Let me know if you start upgrading and want to make an offer on it. I ran a 7.6 (1/8th) and 11.8 (1/4) with it last year.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 PM

You got a great deal, congrats. Last time I saw him run he had a custom Y-splitter and dual intake. The problem with it is that the filters were in the engine bay. I think he might get Bullard Machine to machine his pulley down for more boost, but that's the last I heard. What else has he done and what's on your list? By the way, I have a used heat exchanger that's much larger than stock in the garage. Let me know if you start upgrading and want to make an offer on it. I ran a 7.6 (1/8th) and 11.8 (1/4) with it last year.
He's got pretty much the same setup now with a eurocharged ecu flash, he's installed a hood light and made a fan switch. Now that I'm not driving his truck back and forth to work he'll get his pulley turned down soon. He just bought new wheels so he can put some bigger tires on. I have not decided exactly what I'm going to do yet, the car will be modded and I'm thinking of taking it a lot further than Bill once I have it paid off. Until then I'm not really wanting to push anything too far because if something happened and there was a hefty bill it would stress my budget too close for me to live comfortably. I'd like to change the pulley, intake, flash the ecu, and do whatever I can to keep the engine cool while we're making our passes until then, after that I'll probably end up pushing it pretty close to it's limits.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Another TN SRT-6... Excellent!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bring the car to my place and we will sort the pumps out.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gents - I went through all of this about a month ago with Rob from Needswings. At the time I was asking him about the differences between the OEM, the Johnson and the Bosch 010, he was only carrying the Johnson and the Bosch 003 and said he had been selling the 003 for 7 years with no problems of failures. I ran across the Bosch 010 and asked Rob about them and he hadn't seen them. He ordered one and did a flow test between the 003 and the 010 and he said they flowed at the same rate - about 3.25 gpm. I was interested in using the latest Bosch pump (the 010) because I didn't want to modify my wiring nor did I want to modify my bracket. Rob did not have the Bosch 010 pumps in stock at the time so I ordered it from Amazon for about $110 plus shipping. It is a perfect match in body size, inlet/outlet size, wiring and connector. I have pictures of the two pumps in my gallery showing the comparison. You will have no problems with the Bosch 010, but I have no idea how long it will last since I have only had it in for a little over a month. Curiously, though, the pump I pulled out of my 2005 stock SRT was a Bosch 003. I have only had the car a few months so I have no idea if this was the original pump or if it had been changed before I bought it.

On a side note, when you go to change it out, disconnect the outlet hose first and let the coolant drain through the old pump into a clean bucket (if you don't use the method of pinching the hoses). I found it easier to manipulate the angle of the pump to get the fluid in the bucket rather than try to hold the inlet hose until the coolant finished draining. Also - don't forget to chock the drivers rear tire. Once that rear passenger wheel comes off the ground, the car could roll/shift.

Enjoy your full use S/C!!

RL

Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RL67037
Gents - I went through all of this about a month ago with Rob from Needswings. At the time I was asking him about the differences between the OEM, the Johnson and the Bosch 010, he was only carrying the Johnson and the Bosch 003 and said he had been selling the 003 for 7 years with no problems of failures. I ran across the Bosch 010 and asked Rob about them and he hadn't seen them. He ordered one and did a flow test between the 003 and the 010 and he said they flowed at the same rate - about 3.25 gpm. I was interested in using the latest Bosch pump (the 010) because I didn't want to modify my wiring nor did I want to modify my bracket. Rob did not have the Bosch 010 pumps in stock at the time so I ordered it from Amazon for about $110 plus shipping. It is a perfect match in body size, inlet/outlet size, wiring and connector. I have pictures of the two pumps in my gallery showing the comparison. You will have no problems with the Bosch 010, but I have no idea how long it will last since I have only had it in for a little over a month. Curiously, though, the pump I pulled out of my 2005 stock SRT was a Bosch 003. I have only had the car a few months so I have no idea if this was the original pump or if it had been changed before I bought it.

On a side note, when you go to change it out, disconnect the outlet hose first and let the coolant drain through the old pump into a clean bucket (if you don't use the method of pinching the hoses). I found it easier to manipulate the angle of the pump to get the fluid in the bucket rather than try to hold the inlet hose until the coolant finished draining. Also - don't forget to chock the drivers rear tire. Once that rear passenger wheel comes off the ground, the car could roll/shift.

Enjoy your full use S/C!!

RL
Great information, thank you!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Talking Re: Possible I/C Pump Replacement

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone, you've all been extremely helpful. tunaglove, thank you... I wasn't trying to be a **** but I've learned to take everything that I read with a grain of salt, or two, or three and I honestly couldn't find any reliable information on the subject. I've now got two people telling me 010 is the one needswings sells and that the inlet and outlets are compatible with our cars. I had sent needswings an email asking, but they just redirected me to the product information page for their pump.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone, you've all been extremely helpful. tunaglove, thank you... I wasn't trying to be a **** but I've learned to take everything that I read with a grain of salt, or two, or three and I honestly couldn't find any reliable information on the subject. I've now got two people telling me 010 is the one needswings sells and that the inlet and outlets are compatible with our cars. I had sent needswings an email asking, but they just redirected me to the product information page for their pump.
No prob, enjoy the power!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM

My 2005 had an 03 also. I had it replaced @ 30,000 miles and I am not sure if they used a 10 or not. i have been informed that the 10 is better and fits with out modifications.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what were the signs your pump was U/S?
Warning lamps? Codes? High AIT's?
Just wondering - woud be foolish of me to assume its running when/if there are no warning signs until you really make a demand on it and go...oh....its not pumping..!

Quick Reply: Possible I/C Pump Replacement