Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SRT6 62mm Supercharger pulley??

Old 06-10-2012, 03:46 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SRT6 62mm Supercharger pulley??

Originally Posted by FUBU
Anyone bought this?
You must have missed this post:

rcompartRe: SRT6 62mm Supercharger pulley??
I'm actually in the process of testing one out and will report back with it after I've put some miles on the car with it on.

06-07-2012, 06:53 PM
rcompart

Old 06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=SparkieSRT6;677780]You must have missed this post:

rcompartRe: SRT6 62mm Supercharger pulley??
I'm actually in the process of testing one out and will report back with it after I've put some miles on the car with it on.

Well it does not say if it is one from the KARMEN batch or if he has gotten a 62 mm sc pulley from somewhere else. As Rudy is the magician and has connections I took it for granted that he was talking about another one. Heck, he may even have made on himself.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the following information from the seller:

Hi There, 10 months of effort was put into designing this pulley, hours of testing and lots of money.

The 65mm(code3) pulley have thickness issue inherited from its original form, the OEM. It is essentially an OEM pulley with modified grooves. Not a whole lot of engineering going on. The 65mm has a wall thickness of 1.7mm and can't go any thinner.

This pulley, the Karmen Pulley, is a new born. It only uses the OEM pulley as a reference for fitment. It is design to use smaller bearing ***** for increase speed and with smaller bearing outer diameter to improve wall thickness. This leaves the wall with plenty of thickness to work with. The inner bore of the Karmen pulley is 47mm and the outer diameter is 62mm. In radius they are 23.5mm and 31mm respectively. The bottom of the grooves is 3mm lower than the top. So the wall thickness is 31 -3 -23.5 = 4.5mm. Problem solved. The idea here is simple. To make the pulley smaller, we reduce the outer diameter. To properly reduce the outer diameter, we have to reduce the inner diameter.

Warping and wobbling: The Karmen pulley doesn't cut corners by using AC compressor's clutch plates that are in production. The AC compressor's clutch plate (armature) has a strong tendency to warp and causes wobbling or rubbing against the magnetic clutch. The material we use for the clutch plate is Grey Iron. It is as tough as a brake disc. It surface is as flat as can be. It is guaranty no wobbling and rubbing!

I'll make you a great deal plus a 3 months warranty. If I will make more of this, I will extend the warranty to 18 months and you will be included in it as well.

Best,
Khang

Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Great, thanks for info Silverarrow! There are a lot of peeps on this forum that have said that if they would find a 62mm SC pulley they would go for it in a heartbeat. Let us see who is going for it in the end...

Old 06-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverarrow
I got the following information from the seller:

Hi There, 10 months of effort was put into designing this pulley, hours of testing and lots of money.

The 65mm(code3) pulley have thickness issue inherited from its original form, the OEM. It is essentially an OEM pulley with modified grooves. Not a whole lot of engineering going on. The 65mm has a wall thickness of 1.7mm and can't go any thinner.

This pulley, the Karmen Pulley, is a new born. It only uses the OEM pulley as a reference for fitment. It is design to use smaller bearing ***** for increase speed and with smaller bearing outer diameter to improve wall thickness. This leaves the wall with plenty of thickness to work with. The inner bore of the Karmen pulley is 47mm and the outer diameter is 62mm. In radius they are 23.5mm and 31mm respectively. The bottom of the grooves is 3mm lower than the top. So the wall thickness is 31 -3 -23.5 = 4.5mm. Problem solved. The idea here is simple. To make the pulley smaller, we reduce the outer diameter. To properly reduce the outer diameter, we have to reduce the inner diameter.

Warping and wobbling: The Karmen pulley doesn't cut corners by using AC compressor's clutch plates that are in production. The AC compressor's clutch plate (armature) has a strong tendency to warp and causes wobbling or rubbing against the magnetic clutch. The material we use for the clutch plate is Grey Iron. It is as tough as a brake disc. It surface is as flat as can be. It is guaranty no wobbling and rubbing!

I'll make you a great deal plus a 3 months warranty. If I will make more of this, I will extend the warranty to 18 months and you will be included in it as well.

Best,
Khang
Engineered from start to finish, gotta love that. Great.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

call me stupid but how do you reduce the inner diameter and still get it to fit on the s/c snout? the oem or c3 is a extremely tight fit. no room for reduction there
and for the math guys, how fast would the s/c spin if this pulley is stacked with a 178mm crank?

Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
call me stupid but how do you reduce the inner diameter and still get it to fit on the s/c snout? the oem or c3 is a extremely tight fit. no room for reduction there
and for the math guys, how fast would the s/c spin if this pulley is stacked with a 178mm crank?
Stupid! LOL
The inner diameter of the pulley is the outer diameter of the bearing (øD).
The inner diameter of the bearing (ød) is the same as the smaller diameter on the SC shaft. As long as the step clears the SC shaft (ØD) all is well with the world.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-10-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Stupid! LOL
The inner diameter of the pulley is the outer diameter of the bearing. The inner diameter of the bearing one would assume is the same as the OEM one. As long as the step clears the SC shaft all is well with the world.
i called and asked rudy and didnt understand it then either . i guess i needed pics or someone to explain it in canadian cause english wasnt getting it!!
it is interesting and if they had shown up before i went stacked i might have tried it. what worries me is they came out of nowere and havent ever posted on any forum i can find. just seems odd that someone goes to all this effort to build a pulley for a car no longer produced and a total run of engines less than 12,000. less than a couple months worth of engines from a ford plant

Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 AM

This also something I'm interested in. I'm affraid that maybe the boost preasure would be to much at higher speeds. I will port my s/c by 2-3 mm to allow an increased flow of around 150cfm. Maybe the preasure will drop enough to allow for this mod.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i called and asked rudy and didnt understand it then either . i guess i needed pics or someone to explain it in canadian cause english wasnt getting it!!
it is interesting and if they had shown up before i went stacked i might have tried it. what worries me is they came out of nowere and havent ever posted on any forum i can find. just seems odd that someone goes to all this effort to build a pulley for a car no longer produced and a total run of engines less than 12,000. less than a couple months worth of engines from a ford plant
Steve; If the new bearing for the 62mm pulley was a tire, it would be a low profile tire, in other words a skinnier bearing(smaller ball bearings). The bearing for the 65mm would be the drag radial (fatter side walls). And I agree with you about this new pulley coming out of nowhere. Although Rudy was right there on it somehow, with his connections. It does look very well built.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 AM

The SC spins faster by the diameter of the crank pulley divided by the diameter of the SC pulley in this case 178 divided by 62.

178÷62=2.87

At an engine speed of 6,000rpm the SC would spin at 17,220rpm.

This has all been done before in earlier threads.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post610525
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...rchargers.html

Plus others.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-11-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:50 AM

i made an offer and was counteroffered at 750$. im not really a fan of someone who tries to sell their product by degrading another product. him telling me its not a c3 pulley which is a oem pulley with smaller grooves is incorrect. i run the c3 with zero issues and it has always been a quality product. so for now ill pass and wait till someone else does the testing for a change. 20 psi boost should keep me busy for a while

Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 AM

i made an offer and was counteroffered at 750$. im not really a fan of someone who tries to sell their product by degrading another product. him telling me its not a c3 pulley which is a oem pulley with smaller grooves is incorrect. i run the c3 with zero issues and it has always been a quality product. so for now ill pass and wait till someone else does the testing for a change. 20 psi boost should keep me busy for a while
I tried it also where I got the same offer that is 750$. I tried to go down to 650$ he returned the same counter offer.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:42 PM

................ just seems odd that someone goes to all this effort to build a pulley for a car no longer produced and a total run of engines less than 12,000. less than a couple months worth of engines from a ford plant
Surely something like that could be said for the C3 and EC pulleys.

The two former pulleys have had some problems, maybe down the road these new pulleys will be the ones to get, who knows.

The secret to a good pulley is the spring, the design and material of which is crucial. The dimensions of the pulley should mimic the OEM one and should fit with no changes to the shims, maybe a few thou ±, no more.

I think I will make one for myself, after all how hard can it be? LOL

Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Surely something like that could be said for the C3 and EC pulleys.

The two former pulleys have had some problems, maybe down the road these new pulleys will be the ones to get, who knows.

The secret to a good pulley is the spring, the design and material of which is crucial. The dimensions of the pulley should mimic the OEM one and should fit with no changes to the shims, maybe a few thou ±, no more.

I think I will make one for myself, after all how hard can it be? LOL
the main difference is that the c3 was built while the cars were in production and from what i understand there wont be anymore e/c pulleys. not enough profit for the labor involved

Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 PM

I got a new EC batch 2 SC pulley and it looks immaculate. Will install tomorrow and see what it does

Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 PM

I was under the impression that when Code3 was doing initial testing, one of the main reasons they didn't go smaller was that there wasn't enough surface area for sufficient belt contact, thus causing too much belt slip.

I previously had one of the 2nd generation Code3's and I did notice I got a bit of belt slip at high boost/RPM's. Thus the reason why they engineered the belt wrap Kit.....??

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 PM
cjw
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FUBU
I got a new EC batch 2 SC pulley and it looks immaculate. Will install tomorrow and see what it does
Glad ot hear you got yours, been waiting for my V2 for what feels like months now

Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
I was under the impression that when Code3 was doing initial testing, one of the main reasons they didn't go smaller was that there wasn't enough surface area for sufficient belt contact, thus causing too much belt slip.

I previously had one of the 2nd generation Code3's and I did notice I got a bit of belt slip at high boost/RPM's. Thus the reason why they engineered the belt wrap Kit.....??

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
True, but Onehoundred80 explained one way to achieve this was the option of a thinner bearing, then the grooved pulley could be made thinne/smallerr. From what the seller sent me, this sounds like the route they took.
I also got the $750.00 offer.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cjw
Glad to hear you got yours, been waiting for my V2 for what feels like months now
I hear you CJ. You and I sent our Version1's back to EC WAY before FUBU, and he has his already, all the way over to Sweden?

Quick Reply: SRT6 62mm Supercharger pulley??