Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Diagnose my IC pump?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose my IC pump?

I was out last night, an early 90's mustang pulled up that had at least a cam and loud exhuast, we both noded for the universal "lets go" and he got a 1/2 car length on the bottom from 20 mph start but when he shifted into 3rd (manual) I caught him and slowly started pulling ahead to about 100 mph with a 1/2 car length lead. Meet up with him after that at a gas station and he just had to know what the heck I was driving and had under the hood bragging that he beats vettes all the time. He had a lot of mods including aluminum heads ported and polished, cam, injectors, throttle body, large exhuast, intake, ignition, tune, etc. but didn't know his exact horse power/torque.

After that we ran again with same results, I turned off to go home and was WOT with every straight away until the 3rd time and no supercharger, the 4th no supercharger, and the 5th no super charger, but the 6th it was back.

Are we suppose to be able to do continuous WOT pulls without the supercharger clutching out in a stock setup?

So I am sure the IC pump is the issue but can the IC system stay cool enough for a few WOT pulls without the IC pump working? Is my pump working but not consistently or at full gph?

More than likely I need to start with replacing my IC pump but can the stock IC system and HE handle the larger CM30 pump until the rest of the system can be upgraded?

I would like to get a pump ordered fairly quickly as long as it is the issue.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Diagnose my IC pump?

Do a search, but when the i/c pump fails and it reaches the "right temperature", the s/c is shut off to protect itself and you lose all power. You could be experiencing early failure or you just heated it up too much with those multiple WOT pulls. I may make one hard pull, but I would never abuse it by making multiple pulls like that.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 AM

It sounds like the CM30 will work just fine and the real issue with the IC is the heat from the system not being seperated. What size hose connections are our pumps, 16mm or 20mm?

ordering a johnson today, seperating the IC system and we'll see if it fixes. May be the IAT sensor if not, then maybe a larger HE. Anyone know if the supercooler works like an HE or a converted aluminum radiator?

Last edited by JesseJamessrt6; 05-11-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM

I replaced the stock pump with another of the same at 30,000 miles. When it was on the way out it was intermittent and would not throw a code. i took it to a dyno to try and diagnose the problem. We made three pulls in ten minutes and it woud not act up. It worked like it was suposed to. Agreivating! It later went out altogether. Cost $400.00 plus labor. I later found out about the Ford sst pump from the lightining/harley Davidson pick up and I just found out there was a better Johnson pump out there also. The ford pump looks like overkill if the heat exchangers stay stock size. It requires some fabrication to install.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jesse, the supercooler is a BIG HE.... with a separated system and the supercooler you should have no issues with over heating..... I have been running a CM30, LET HE and separated IC for a few years with no issues....

Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks! I ordered the 20mm CM30. I will do a DIY seperation, any suggestions?

Looks like the LET HE isn't much larger than the OEM and for the money any reason to save a little more to do the supercooler?