Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Calif DMV smog passed with mods & tune

Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calif DMV smog passed with mods & tune

According to the guy running the smog test, "it wasn't even close to failing."
So that's great news for us with mods and a tune.
And as for the visual part of the test, he had no problem with the dual cold air intake or the crank pulley. And his comment about the tune was, "I can't see it so I don't care about it".
He also said "sometimes when you get a tune, you sacrifice emissions for horse power". But again, it passed no problem.

My mods are, Needswings dual cold air intake, Needswings 178 crank pulley with pulley saver kit, and a Eurocharged tune.

Gotta admit, there's some relief here.

keywords for future searchers: Ca Calif California dmv smog test emissions

Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Calif DMV smog passed with mods & tune

Good news for you smog busters...I will keep polluting the air you breath...sorry in advance... Actually, I think both my cars would pass anywhere...great cars...

Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I passed with flying colors, with a 185, SL55 intake, headers and Dyno tune.....pretty clean too!

see here:

Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no issues a few weeks ago here in Colorado and everything was well under the limits. I usually register my cars out of the smog testing area, but didn't this time and I was a bit worried.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no offense to the many modders here, but that's one of the reasons i don't deviate from stock. our ca. dmv (and...cough...re-sale) is extremely strict. as long as the dmv is happy (and the highway patrol), then i'm happy.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[quote=Wedge]According to the guy running the smog test, "it wasn't even close to failing."
So that's great news for us with mods and a tune.
And as for the visual part of the test, he had no problem with the dual cold air intake or the crank pulley. And his comment about the tune was, "I can't see it so I don't care about it".
He also said "sometimes when you get a tune, you sacrifice emissions for horse power". But again, it passed no problem.

My mods are, Needswings dual cold air intake, Needswings 178 crank pulley with pulley saver kit, and a Eurocharged tune.

Gotta admit, there's some relief here.

Great to hear Steve. And yes, it is some relief to hear this. I'm still going to wait for my next inspection before I remove the rear cats and resonator; although they wouldn't probably notice the difference would be my guess.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine passes here in OR with no issues.... but they just plug in the OBDII port and maybe a sniffer in the tail pipe..... they dont even lift the hood here.... $96 every two years.....

Old 11-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Smog ? Testing ? What is that all about ?
Here in Alabama, I guess it must be that 1958 Chevy pulpwood truck that comes by daily in a cloud of smoke.

Just kidding - I moved here after doing my 20 years in Atlanta, I am very familiar with the yearly testing ......

Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine passes with no cats. However, at idle it's close. At the different RPM's they check, it passes easily.

Les

Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular

Mine passes in NV, they do not do a visual if it is not to loud and passes the port test. In San Fran I has some issues getting it smogged but buddied up to a smog guy and had no problems after that.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Yeah, I passed with flying colors, with a 185, SL55 intake, headers and Dyno tune.....pretty clean too!
Funny those numbers look like my car and it's stock.

On my car the SC pulley is noisy so I can tell when the clutch engages or not. When I was getting my smog done the clutch never engaged so the car never added fuel to go with the added air which kinda made me laugh. AMG got one over on the DMV LOL!

The smog dude, baffled at how low the readings where, backed my car out of the dyno and goosed it a bit in the parking lot. I was like, WTF? He probably felt how low down on power the car felt on the dyno without boost.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by msheredy
Funny those numbers look like my car and it's stock.

On my car the SC pulley is noisy so I can tell when the clutch engages or not. When I was getting my smog done the clutch never engaged so the car never added fuel to go with the added air which kinda made me laugh. AMG got one over on the DMV LOL!

The smog dude, baffled at how low the readings where, backed my car out of the dyno and goosed it a bit in the parking lot. I was like, WTF? He probably felt how low down on power the car felt on the dyno without boost.

My Slk32 (and all SLKs I assumed) is exempt from the dyno part of the smog test in california ... I would have thought that the exemption would apply to crossfires as well.

Chris

Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by latemodel21
My Slk32 (and all SLKs I assumed) is exempt from the dyno part of the smog test in california ... I would have thought that the exemption would apply to crossfires as well.

Chris
Huh!? Strange, how did you find this out?

Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by latemodel21

Chris
Why is that? I find it pretty amazing, actually. Not questioning you as you'd know what they put it through when running the smog check, but why would CA exempt any production car from a major auto maker? My '05 Limited Roadster was smogged a few months back and they put it on the dyno. Passed with flying colors, but then again the powertrain is stock other than a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust.

On a side note, my '04 PT Cruiser Turbo has had some work done to it, including the Mopar Stage 1 ECU swap and a set of non-CARB approved hard pipes for the turbo plumbing. I go to a place that will look the other way - three other shops popped the hood, looked at the pipes, and said they'd wouldn't test the car because they'd have to fail it based on them being "illegal, non-CARB approved". Funny thing is, when the sniffer is jammed up the tail pipe and the car is run on the dyno, it blows so clean that, in the words of the technician, "you couldn't kill yourself in your garage with this car it's so clean!".

Yep, that's CA for you.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Why is that? I find it pretty amazing, actually. Not questioning you as you'd know what they put it through when running the smog check, but why would CA exempt any production car from a major auto maker? My '05 Limited Roadster was smogged a few months back and they put it on the dyno. Passed with flying colors, but then again the powertrain is stock other than a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust.
I had come across a document that showed the SLK32 was exempt from the Dyno portion of the smog only. I have searched for it today and haven't found it yet, I must have it saved on one of my home computers.

I mentioned it last time I smogged the car and the shop didn't hesitate to smog it without the dyno (after a few keystokes on their sacremento linked smog equip). Just for the heck of it, I suggested that I should get the smog for less since they didn't have to hook it down to test it .... and he gave me $12 off !!

I will dig around on my computer (this weekend?) and see if I can find the EO

Chris

Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Forum Regular

When my smog guy realized he was looking at a Mercedes he asked if it was ok for it to be on the dyno. I said sure, then asked him why. He said that in the Mercedes manual, it says to NOT put it on a dyno, so he smogs Mercedes without it.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM

ha in Las Vegas they just plug into your OBDII port, if you don't have a check engine light, you pass!

With my SRT-4 the thing had a 3" turbo back straight pipe, thing was loud as hell and you could just smell it didn't have cats... passed with flying colors in Las Vegas

Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 PM

Yeah, all their documentation says not to Dyno Mercedes as it might hurt the car. But they also don't know about "Dyno Mode" So they just put in a tail pipe sniffer and rev it up.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Forum Regular

This is the Document that I had previously come across about Mercedes and smog testing.

Since it suggests that the EPA has granted an exemption to all Mercedes vehicles built since 1992 (that have ASR, ESP, ETS, or 4matic), it should apply to the Crossfire as well.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I brought it up to the smog tech and he knew exactly what I was talking about, and then when I suggested I should get a discounted smog ... he took $12 off. Its not too often that a Mercedes owner pays less for a service than a chevy or toyota owner would ....

Chris

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mercedes smog exemption_.pdf (6.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by latemodel21; 11-20-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

i am in sunny california.
just got my dmv smog notice.
mine is a 2005 limited n/a.
taking a copy of that letter when i go.
only mods are..magnaflow catback, k&n air filters, 74 tb, needswing plugs/wires
will see what happends.
thanks for letter

Quick Reply: Calif DMV smog passed with mods & tune