Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Johnson CM30 = Damaged Intercooler?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Johnson CM30 = Damaged Intercooler?

Originally Posted by syfi
Why not just use an inline sight glass flow checker like this...

1 4" NPT Inline Flow Sight Liquid Level Sight Meter | eBay

Where's the fill cap?

Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
THe stock system went from zero to like 15 PSIG every time you started and warmed the motor up. That stretching is like doing an accordian in and out causing metallic stress on the thin tubing and leading to cracks and leaks.
hmmmmm......I thought our rad cap is only rated for a few psig?
I seem to recall 7 somewhere but my alzheimers is possibly getting the better of me.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Where's the fill cap?
Don't need one. If it looks low going through, just crack the bypass valve till it's full again.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 PM

We have a slight misunderstanding here. Didn't you just suggest that he use this inline sight glass instead of replacing his OEM coolant tank?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 AM

We have a slight misunderstanding here. Didn't you just suggest that he use this inline sight glass instead of replacing his OEM coolant tank?
Sorry bout that. What I meant was to put one of these in line on the N/W kit instead of the suggested separate tank (i.e. the BMW/ VW Ebay style)
I'm just throwing out a menial thought as a way to satisfy the need for those who think they need to monitor the level of the separated system.
This way lets you open the hood and look as opposed to opening the lid on a separate tank to view the fluid level. As others have said, once the kit is installed and purged, it's kinda senseless to worry about the level from such a low pressure system, unless of coarse you have leakage.

From FiftyThree033: I understand, but how do you know if you have run low? I'd like an "at a glance" indicator. Seems it would be an extra insurance measure. If you did have a I/C circuit leak, the reservoir level would indicate the condition very obviously and quickly.

Last edited by syfi; 01-22-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

If you could see anything different through the sight glass there would have to be air in the system and if there was air then you would be in trouble anyway.
The trouble with sight glasses in systems like this is the glass will get a build up on it and you will not see anything, even air.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM

Sorry bout that. What I meant was to put one of these in line on the N/W kit instead of the suggested seperate tank (i.e. the BMW/ VW Ebay style)
I'm just throwing out a menial thought as a way to satisfy the need for those who think they need to monitor the level of the seperated system.
This way lets you open the hood and look as apposed to opening the lid on a seperate tank to view the fluid level. As others have said, once the kit is installed and purged, it's kinda senseless to worry about the level from such a low pressure system, unless of coarse you have leakage.
I do understand your theory, but I'd have to side w/ 180 regarding the sight glass. The other advantage to a completely separate system, is you can run two different coolant formulas. In the IC system you could run straight distilled water and perhaps a little water pump lube/anti rust additive, or a pint of chill charger for the better cooling. Those that live where it freezes can then just add the appropriate amount of antifreeze in the winter.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 PM

I do understand your theory, but I'd have to side w/ 180 regarding the sight glass. The other advantage to a completely separate system, is you can run two different coolant formulas. In the IC system you could run straight distilled water and perhaps a little water pump lube/anti rust additive, or a pint of chill charger for the better cooling. Those that live where it freezes can then just add the appropriate amount of antifreeze in the winter.
I totally agree. If using separate fluid types then by all means integrate a separate tank. Many who bought the separator kit aren't worried about that and this was just another solution. Any common sight glass made with borosilicate glass won't discolor or fog up, despite 180s concerns. If they did, you wouldn't see them used on many motorcycles as oil level viewers now would ya. This was just a thought to give those with no separate tank some peace of mind.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

I totally agree. If using separate fluid types then by all means integrate a separate tank. Many who bought the separator kit aren't worried about that and this was just another solution. Any common sight glass made with borosilicate glass won't discolor or fog up, despite 180s concerns. If they did, you wouldn't see them used on many motorcycles as oil level viewers now would ya. This was just a thought to give those with no separate tank some peace of mind.
A site glass used as a level indicator is different to one with nothing but fluid traveling through it. You cannot see the fluid moving unless there are bubbles or some other change in color in the fluid, you just see that there is something there. Over time the glass will get a build up as will the hoses and engine block, not thick but enough to obstruct any view of bubbles etc.
A site glass is a waste of time in my mind. I just open the valves and let the fluid fill up the system sometimes, needed or not.
I guess we can agree to disagree on this matter.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
A site glass used as a level indicator is different to one with nothing but fluid traveling through it. You cannot see the fluid moving unless there are bubbles or some other change in color in the fluid, you just see that there is something there. Over time the glass will get a build up as will the hoses and engine block, not thick but enough to obstruct any view of bubbles etc.
A site glass is a waste of time in my mind. I just open the valves and let the fluid fill up the system sometimes, needed or not.
I guess we can agree to disagree on this matter.
No argument here. I agree with you. I do the exact same thing. No need for any indicator. I was simply throwing out an idea for one of the members who was so concerned that he had a need for some sort of "at a glance indicator". If we want to get really **** about it we can discuss flow switches that activate electronic flow valves, but let's not even go there!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 PM

And to intentionally change the subject; Nice avatar Syfi, now that's a fine sight glass!

Last edited by dinasrt; 01-22-2014 at 05:48 PM.