Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Johnson CM30 = Damaged Intercooler?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Johnson CM30 = Damaged Intercooler?

I DID, I DID, ALREADY>>>>>>lol...

Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=blue]. When I pull the cap off of my IC cooling system there is NO pressure.[
Do you have a reservoir for your separated system? I looked at Needswings kit and thought I'd want a fill reservoir. At least I could "monitor" the level in the separated system.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FiftyThree033
Do you have a reservoir for your separated system? I looked at Needswings kit and thought I'd want a fill reservoir. At least I could "monitor" the level in the separated system.
i never use a res but if you want a bmw power sterring res works great. about 10$ on ebay

Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i never use a res but if you want a bmw power sterring res works great. about 10$ on ebay
Ok. yeah I recall reading this a while back.
I have a couple VW Vanagons (my other hobby/Subaru powered Vanagons) parts vehicles on hand. They use a translucent p/s reservoir. The fluid can be viewed thru the reservoir body.

I'm thinking I can use NWs kit and tee in the reservoir after the valve. I like the assurance of seeing the amount of coolant in the I/C circuit via a reservoir.
Thanks for the input.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Ok. yeah I recall reading this a while back.
I have a couple VW Vanagons (my other hobby/Subaru powered Vanagons) parts vehicles on hand. They use a translucent p/s reservoir. The fluid can be viewed thru the reservoir body.

I'm thinking I can use NWs kit and tee in the reservoir after the valve. I like the assurance of seeing the amount of coolant in the I/C circuit via a reservoir.
Thanks for the input.
the n/w kit doesnt req. a res. if you ever run low you simply open the valves and allow the engine coolant to flow into the coolant res. and it fills the h/e. close the valves and its sep. again. by making the h/e a low pressure system you rarely ever will add any coolant as it only gets to approx 140* at its peak and then cools again. no were near boiling

Old 11-27-2011, 08:33 PM

the n/w kit doesnt req. a res. if you ever run low you simply open the valves and allow the engine coolant to flow into the coolant res. and it fills the h/e. close the valves and its sep. again. by making the h/e a low pressure system you rarely ever will add any coolant as it only gets to approx 140* at its peak and then cools again. no were near boiling
I understand, but how do you know if you have run low? I'd like an "at a glance" indicator. Seems it would be an extra insurance measure. If you did have a I/C circuit leak, the reservoir level would indicate the condition very obviously and quickly.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:52 PM

I understand, but how do you know if you have run low? I'd like an "at a glance" indicator. Seems it would be an extra insurance measure. If you did have a I/C circuit leak, the reservoir level would indicate the condition very obviously and quickly.
my guess would be the puddle on the floor. over 3 yrs with a separete system and never added a drop after fully purging the system

Last edited by 32krazy!; 11-27-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 PM

my guess would be the puddle on the floor. over 23 yrs with a separete system and never added a drop after fully purging the system
I understand the puddle on the floor sign of a leak for the charge air cooler radiator and external plumbing.
Where does the coolant go( or show up) should you have a leak in the charge air cooler in the intake portion of the system?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 PM

I understand the puddle on the floor sign of a leak for the charge air cooler radiator and external plumbing.
Where does the coolant go( or show up) should you have a leak in the charge air cooler in the intake portion of the system?
shows up in the manis. fortunately i havent seen any of the low pressure setups resulting in an i/c leak

Old 11-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my guess would be the puddle on the floor. over 23 yrs with a separete system and never added a drop after fully purging the system
Check out my gallery and look at the NW's intake manifolds (w/ the green sludge) I bought these used, some time ago. This happened to the previous owner, not me. My guess would be 1.) No catch can. and 2.) internal IC leak and sucking coolant into the mani's. He probably had no puddle on the floor to see. I'm with going w/ the small reservoir for monitoring, and is what I will be doing. I'm pretty sure Tunaglove did a writeup on this.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Check out my gallery and look at the NW's intake manifolds (w/ the green sludge) I bought these used, some time ago. This happened to the previous owner, not me. My guess would be 1.) No catch can. and 2.) internal IC leak and sucking coolant into the mani's. He probably had no puddle on the floor to see. I'm with going w/ the small reservoir for monitoring, and is what I will be doing. I'm pretty sure Tunaglove did a writeup on this.
catch can not going to help with any i/c issues. thats for collecting oil fumes not coolant. most likley the i/c was never separeted and the high pressure system caused the leak. a res is easy enough to do i just never had the need. my manis are off all the time and my h/e has a rad cap to look into and add if needed

Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 PM

catch can not going to help with any i/c issues. thats for collecting oil fumes not coolant. most likley the i/c was never separeted and the high pressure system caused the leak. a res is easy enough to do i just never had the need. my manis are off all the time and my h/e has a rad cap to look into and add if needed
I do know how the system works Steve. Re: the catch can; I was explaining the recipe for making green sludge in the manifolds. And YOU have a cap to look into and monitor; so why are you trying to talk those of us that don't have one; out of it? lol

Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 PM

For me, a reservoir for early detection should you ever get a leak into the manifolds is very important. Prolonged leak here could be a disaster.
I'd like "never" having to tear into my engine.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 PM

I do know how the system works Steve. Re: the catch can; I was explaining the recipe for making green sludge in the manifolds. And YOU have a cap to look into and monitor; so why are you trying to talk those of us that don't have one; out of it? lol
not trying to talk anyone out of anything. just saying its not really needed. for less than 20$ a res can be set up. the oem setup uses the t/b to recirculate the oil fumes back thru the t/b to be reburnt. hence the oil in the manis. the catch can flows the fumes thru stainless media were the oil particles are collected and the vapors are sent to the t/b to be reburnt. when you change your oil you drain the catch can via a drain at the bottom. while i have a cap i rarely open it. if you want a res i can send you an ebay link. they are super cheap.
now a 3 gal res in the trunk for ice and water now thats an idea!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hcarter
I too have been running the Johnson with no problems , Needswings Seperator Kit also.
"Ditto" larry

Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Hey Needs Wings has the separator on sale what timing. I just ordered it this morning. I was going to flush the radiator anyway so this should work out pretty well.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ModlessG
Hey Needs Wings has the separator on sale what timing. I just ordered it this morning. I was going to flush the radiator anyway so this should work out pretty well.
Sale must have ended today. I don't see it. What was the sale price?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 PM

Need help!!!! I need to change out my radiator overflow tank. I removed the 2 10mm nuts, but it seems as though there is something holding the center of the tank (not the hose).
Any help would be appreciated.

Jrd1074, Jax, FL.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not just use an inline sight glass flow checker like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-NPT-Inline-Flow-Sight-Liquid-Level-Sight-Meter-/360777409818?pt=Pneumatic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item540002651a

Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jrd1074
Need help!!!! I need to change out my radiator overflow tank. I removed the 2 10mm nuts, but it seems as though there is something holding the center of the tank (not the hose).
Any help would be appreciated.

Jrd1074, Jax, FL.
There is a good size plastic barb(part of the tank)that pops into a rubber grommet. It is VERY difficult to pull this tank out of that grommet; but it will come out. Get some lubrication into that grommet if you can, and it's also useful to have 4 hands pulling it up and gently rock back and forth, side to side slightly. Yes, it's a blitch. I thought I was going to break mine when I was pulling out, it was so hard. (I'll probably hear about that last comment)

Quick Reply: Johnson CM30 = Damaged Intercooler?