Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Just Started to Notice That Coolant Light Comes On at Random

Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just Started to Notice That Coolant Light Comes On at Random

Originally Posted by Goldwing
The fan replacement was a recall, and therefore should still be valid even without warranty. It was notification E19 for CDD2E190 fan for my roadster. It was already done on my SRT6 when I bought it used.
The day I went to buy the Coolant at the Dealer I actually did find out that the Radiator fan was indeed replaced in the middle of 2006 through the Dealer's VIP Inquiry database. My parts advisor did show me that information.

I now replaced that Coolant Level Sensor and the coolant has been flushed and refilled with the required coolant stated and no light has come on since.

Another problem solved thus far. Thanks again everyone. I love you guys!

Just became a Forum Sponsor of the site, the wealth of information is priceless.

Last edited by ThatSweetSRT6; 09-06-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatSweetSRT6
Hi everyone,

In my SRT-6, a week ago I was driving locally about a 15 minute drive when all the sudden while I was sitting at a traffic light my Coolant Light at random came on. About 2 minutes later ( if that ) it shut off. I checked the temputure levels in the dash and it was just as normal with the stick being just a hair above the middle line. I got to my destination which was less than 5 minutes away.

Popped the hood, checked the coolant levels: everything looked good. Didn't notice any leaking inside the engine bay either as I took a real good look through everything as I waited for the car to get cooler.

Since then the light has been out... I have not added coolant as I know its a special kind needed and I don't want to damage the engine by putting the wrong stuff in but I did notice a few days ago it turned on again when I drove on the highway, stayed on again for a couple of minutes, temp looked good, got off, re-checked coolant levels, looked to be the same amount in there, again no leaks.

I decided to jump on here and do research on "Coolant Light".

Read about the 50 amp fuse being a possible failure which could eventually mean that the fan motor is going out which mean's I would need to replace the fan and possibly the 50 amp fuse. It can also possibly be a Fan Module ( I believe?? ), which I read in threads that apparently its a Recall but I'm not too sure if its an actual recall or just a TSB, if its a recall I'd assume that would be replaced under the emissions warranty I think??

And another thing could be is that coolant could be getting into the Intercooler if one notices their coolant disappearing but in this case it stays in the overflow tank just fine so I think we can cross that one out.

Possible tests I've done recent based on reading of this problem which seems quite common actually:

I turned the car on, put the AC on full blast ( which by the way, no ac problems, my AC blows ICE COLD! ), immediately I checked to see if the fan was blowing and it did. I shut the AC off and the Fan did shut off. I DID notice a slight noise from the fan when it did turn on at first!! I figured I'd mention that but it DID turn on and stayed on when I put the AC at high setting.

I checked the 50 amp radiator fan fuse and it appears that its never been changed. I do not see any wrench markings on it.

I noticed people mentioning that the fans are known to go in 08/2010 like ticking time bombs ( read: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post518397 ) and I thought that was funny BECAUSE my car from reading history records on AutoCheck shows that my car was offically registered and on the road in 2006 and its one year later just happening to be same month too from when people said the fan would go lol.

Also, I figured I'd mention this but lately I have notice that when I drive on the highway, at times I feel like my IC Pump is starting to go because from time to come the Supercharger does not kick in once I hit the pedel, not all the time but sometimes I'll have to re-accelerate to get it to become a beast again, doesn't happen a lot but its noticable. Is it possible that coolant can be leaking from the IC pump? might need it to be replaced.

Coolant level is still at normal levels, light isn't permanently on, but comes on at random, not that often but its important to find out the culprit here!

Haven't added any coolant yet, wanted to get all of your input before I start messing with things!

Now I feel glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. My coolant light has been coming on once in a while. I have noticed that it is now coming on for frequently. Let us know what you (or anyone else) figures out and I will do the same.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this few month old thread back, but as the OP finally discovered his coolant tank sensor was going bad, this problem certainly isn't isolated to SLKs/Crossfires. Had the same problem in my C55 and I wasn't alone:

Coolant and washer fluid tank sensors don't like the cold? - MBWorld.org Forums

Posting this because my coolant light came on this cold morning and the level appears to be normal. Light shut off about 2 minutes after starting the engine.