Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Crankshaft position sensor

Old 02-13-2011, 09:16 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crankshaft position sensor

Holycrap....how are you making out with this problem. Resolved yet?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Holycrap....how are you making out with this problem. Resolved yet?
I ordered the sensor via priority mail on thursday. I figured it might have shown up sat. No luck, so i should have an update on mon.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im going to install a LET 181 also. I want to avoid this trouble. Did you pin the flywheel and then use an impact gun or a breaker bar on the crank bolt? I have a really good strap wrench I could wrap around the stock pulley, do you guys think this would be better than messing with the flywheel?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Im going to install a LET 181 also. I want to avoid this trouble. Did you pin the flywheel and then use an impact gun or a breaker bar on the crank bolt? I have a really good strap wrench I could wrap around the stock pulley, do you guys think this would be better than messing with the flywheel?
no way a strap wrench is going to hold the pulley with the amount of torque required for the install. i think its 150 ft/lbs plus 90* more. pinning of the flywheel is a must and you will be much better off by buying the pinning tool and get it done right the first time. just my .02

Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Ok, I'll find the right tool.
Good luck HC.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have seen a couple tools. one pins the flywheel in the starter hole and the other mounts on the front of the crank pulley. not sure which is better. i would pm jake at e/c or rob at needswings and follow their direction as they both have done this many times and wont steer you wrong

Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Forum Regular

Yes, i learned the hard way. Try not pinning the flywheel with a flat head screwdriver unless u have no choice. I wish someone would have told me about the flywheel pinning tool. Also, u will need the strength of zeus to loosen the crank bolt.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried pinning the fly wheel when I did mine and couldnt break it loose. I then got out my impact driver and used it, without locking up the fly wheel, and got the bolt out... it did take some time. My impact wrench isn't a real high torque model..... but it did work....eventually...

CAUTION: Be sure to place a piece of plywood or something against the radiator so you dont run the wrench into the radiator while backing the bolt out. I had a nice piece of 3/8" plexiglas and I backed right up against it with my wrench.... that would have been bad without the plexiglas..

Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 PM

LOL! That's good advice. I can picture the impact gun getting rammed into the radiator, that would suck!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Forum Regular

Alright i changed the CPS(which was pretty easy). It still wont start. The original cps looked identical to the new one. The original cps showed no signs of the flywheel coming into contact with it. i checked the code again and its stil p3055. what next?????? im thinking about just swapping the kit and see if it starts.

I should mention, in order to loosen the stock crank bolt u used pb blaster. i made sure i cleaned it up before i installed the new crank but i admit it was somewhat half assed. Does anyone think the residue is causing the bolt/or crank pulley to slip and triggering the sensor to misread? there arent any visible signs of solvent on the belt or crank pulley but maybe behind????

Last edited by Holycrap; 02-16-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Holycrap
Alright i changed the CPS(which was pretty easy). It still wont start. The original cps looked identical to the new one. The original cps showed no signs of the flywheel coming into contact with it. i checked the code again and its stil p3055. what next?????? im thinking about just swapping the kit and see if it starts.

I should mention, in order to loosen the stock crank bolt u used pb blaster. i made sure i cleaned it up before i installed the new crank but i admit it was somewhat half assed. Does anyone think the residue is causing the bolt/or crank pulley to slip and triggering the sensor to misread? there arent any visible signs of solvent on the belt or crank pulley but maybe behind????
Forget the spray, damage to sensors, timing.
Back to basics. It will not start and run because of one of two things;
1, No spark
2, No fuel

Take of a spark plug lead and put another plug in it, or take out a plug, lay the plug against the block and see if there is a spark when the car is turned over.
If you like a jump start in the morning hold the lead in your hand.

Can you hear the electric fuel pump when you turn the ignition on?
Are the spark plugs damp from fuel? I suspect the fuel supply some how. You have fuel in the tank?

Which one is it? Solve that problem, you are half way there.

If you have neither get back to us.

How long does it run for if it still starts?
Did you have the engine cover off? If so look under it and look for loose or damaged parts. Did you cover the intake with a rag and forgot it?
Nothing stuffed up the exhaust pipes? Snow? Ice?
Help me out here I'm grasping at straws.
What did you touch? I do not believe in coincidences.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-16-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular

I will try this but what are the odds of any of this going wrong at the exact same time i swapped the pulley kit????? It has to be related to the swap dont u think?

If it were the spark plug wouldnt i get a different code instead of the CPS code.

Last edited by Holycrap; 02-17-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 PM

I will try this but what are the odds of any of this going wrong at the exact same time i swapped the pulley kit????? It has to be related to the swap dont u think?
It has to be something that you did or caused.
It starts and dies, correct? How long does it run?
Any codes? Does it die like you run out of fuel or like the ignition suddenly failed? Any odd noises? My money is on a fuel problem. But why?
This car would run without the belt or pulley on.
Take the pulley off and put the old one back on. Look at the back of the new pulley and see if anything is scraped from rubbing somewhere, I very much doubt it but who knows.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM

This is crazy!

If you are still getting the CPS cel then something is up with your CPS!

Look around where you pinned the flywheel with that screwdriver (LOL!). You must have pinched the wires for it or muckled the connector. Double check that connector. Maybe the wires are still molded or attached to the connector but not making it to the pins. Put a meter lead on each pin on the connector and check continuity. You should get some reading but not INF aka an open wire.

Last edited by tunaglove; 02-17-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It has to be something that you did or caused.
It starts and dies, correct? How long does it run?
Any codes? Does it die like you run out of fuel or like the ignition suddenly failed? Any odd noises? My money is on a fuel problem. But why?
This car would run without the belt or pulley on.
Take the pulley off and put the old one back on. Look at the back of the new pulley and see if anything is scraped from rubbing somewhere, I very much doubt it but who knows.
It doesnt fully start. It seems like its its runnig out of fuel. The cranks turns over several times it comes pretty close to turning on and staying on and it just dies. Afterwards theres a noticable smell of fuel. No wierd noises whatsoever. Only code is p0335 which is cps.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 PM

The resistance on the plug for the CPS should be over 100K Ohms. I should not be open or INF however.

Are you clearing the code (PO355) each time and getting it back after the car won't stay running??

Last edited by tunaglove; 02-17-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM

You added the code is still there in your post after I posted, sorry, does the wire for the CPS come close to the starter area? I see it runs along the top rear of the engine but surely it then goes up not down to the starter area.
You did clear the code after fitting the new CPS,otherwise it will still be there. The shop manual should tell you how to check the CPS with a multi-meter.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Jesus 180, do you read any of the other posts around yours or what??

Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Jesus 180, do you read any of the other posts around yours or what??
If I answer a post but the post I am answering is edited while I'm typing then I may be a bit wrong in my post. I did not go back to check the post.
The note about the code being still there was added while I typed. As was your note on clearing the code.
If you are so smart you could figure it out.

From this post on Feb 5th I assumed the car ran for a few seconds but evidently not.
I have triple checked everything. Since eurocharged does not provide instructions a fellow memember sent me the let pulley instructions which helped a lot. But im sure there are some differences. Timing seems to be off. It cranks up hesitates, and dies down. what should i be looking for???? Thanks

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-17-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft position sensor