Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Map sensor-not working...HELP!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map sensor-not working...HELP!!!

All you mechanics out there.........HELP

After taking my SRT to Chrysler several times with major work being done the check engine light came on. Dealer said MAP sensor was changed but the wire harness connector would not plug into the sensor properly.......$2,ooo to get a whole new harness....
So I looked at the connector (very hard to get to) and I cannot see anything wrong......

The car works OK but not 100%
Cannot see spending the money for a new connector/harness.......but the MAP sensor is not being read by the ECU......Sounds like an easy fix but I can't see what to do...

ANY SUGGESTIONS

THANKS Dave

Last edited by Dave Rockwell; 11-10-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Default Re: Map sensor-not working......HELP!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Dave Rockwell

After taking my SRT to Chrysler several times with major work being done the check engine light came on. Dealer said MAP sensor was changed but the wire harness connector would not plug into the sensor properly.......$2,ooo to get a whole new harness....
So I looked at the connector (very hard to get to) and I cannot see anything wrong......

Cannot see spending the money for a new connector/harness.......but the MAP sensor is not being read by the ECU......Sounds like an easy fix but I can't see what to do...

ANY SUGGESTIONS

THANKS Dave
Would not plug in correctly? That doesn't seem like something that could happen on it's own unless there was serious corrosion. I would try and trace the wiring to make sure nothing is busted

Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheldon
Would not plug in correctly? That doesn't seem like something that could happen on it's own unless there was serious corrosion. I would try and trace the wiring to make sure nothing is busted
There should be a part number on the old one that plugged in, buy one based on the part number. The idea of buying a harness is ridiculous

Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Not that I'm much help but the whole Nav option on the window sticker was $1500.00

Seems odd they want 2k

Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Question Re: Map sensor-not working......HELP!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
Not that I'm much help but the whole Nav option on the window sticker was $1500.00

Seems odd they want 2k
I'll bite. I think these acronyms are causing some confusion here. I assume the MAP he's referring to is the "manifold absolute pressure."

Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Re: Map sensor-not working...HELP!!!

I don't own an SRT to know for sure, but I thought the SRT doesn't have a MAP sensor.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I don't own an SRT to know for sure, but I thought the SRT doesn't have a MAP sensor.
I'm pretty sure both the SRT and the NA have both MAP and MAF sensors.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob

Seems odd they want 2k
Yeah right, not much help at all.
He's not talking about the nav unit silly boy, he's talking about a paper map, the type you used to get for free at the gas station and now they charge an arm and a leg for.
But I didn't think they came with sensors.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
I'm pretty sure both the SRT and the NA have both MAP and MAF sensors.
I think that statement is not quite true, The SRT lacks a MAF sensor. I'll look it up as my memory is not what it was, although I have forgotten what it was like.
Edit, MAF added.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-11-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 AM

The SRT6 is a speed/density system and therefore uses a MAP sensor. Not sure about the NA Crossfires, but I think they may use MAF.

Back to original poster - sounds like you've got a really rotten stealership there. They did the work, they replaced the sensor, they need to figure out why the new one doesn't plug in. However, it seems like they are clueless, so let me try to give you something to guide them.

My guess is they replaced your MAP sensor with one from a NA Crossfire (or if as I said earlier MAF may be used on the NA Crossfire and they may have thrown one of those on your car). As I'm fairly new to these cars, this is only my guess based off of other factory boosted cars that I've dealt with. Most manufacturers used boosted/non-boosted harnesses and had special plugs for certain sensors (MAP being one of them). This was done so that mechanics (such as the ones you have just seemed to encounter) don't go and mess up and use the wrong parts on the boosted cars.

Putting a NA MAP (or MAF) on a supercharged application will yield disastrous results. While it's bad that you're running around without the MAP sensor plugged in, having an NA one plugged into your system could be much worse! Either way, you need to be careful if you are driving your car this way - the engine controller has no idea whether you are in boost and won't compensate with the correct amount of fuel. That will lead to a blown motor in no time!

You really need to back to the dealer and tell them you want the correct MAP sensor installed. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What idiots! They obviously put the wrong map sensor in there. I mean, unless the connector was totally melted it should fit right? Find new mechanics.
And JonnyB is right, if they rigged the N/A Map sensor to work........KABOOM!

Last edited by tunaglove; 11-11-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM

That would make sense why it wouldn't fit....

Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Rockwell

ANY SUGGESTIONS

THANKS Dave
Try to find a reputable independent mercedes shop that will honor your warranty if you have one. If you don't have one then don't ever take your car to the dealer. Use mercedes forums to locate a good indy shop near you. They will understand what is wrong with your car once you tell them it's a SLK32.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Yeah right, not much help at all.
He's not talking about the nav unit silly boy, he's talking about a paper map, the type you used to get for free at the gas station and now they charge an arm and a leg for.
But I didn't think they came with sensors.

LOL - You might have dated yourself with the FREE at gas station comment

Sorry OP I thought you were literally lost