Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

its ugly but getting there... twin-charged SRT-6!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: its ugly but getting there... twin-charged SRT-6!!!

Originally Posted by Eric
I was also thinking i might have a boost leak iv moved some stuff around to check this ill let yea know.. also the guys at sts turbo say there should not be any lag
Squires Turbo Systems - FAQ about Turbo, Turbocharger, Wastegate, Horsepower, Torque, Turbo Kit, Garrett, TiAL, BOV, Turbo Lag, Boost, Intercooler

but i have yet seen any large amount of boost so yea ill add another boost gauge before the supercharger when i get the cash
honestly, Itake everything squires says with a grain of salt.
oh, youre doing this, lol. I shoulda known. bring it to the v.

t4 anything is very laggy when remote mounted on anything not v8. Turbo probably has a p-trim turbine with a .96 housing or an .81 its gonna be a high rpm turbo for sure, you wont see any benefit just street driving. unless you happen to be doing 70+ on the highway.

to give you an idea, the z06 twin kit uses t3 based turbos, and thats with 3.5l of displacement per turbo. its gonna be laggy no matter what. The only way to combat that is ceramic coating and heat wrapping everything.

p.s. ditch the steel intercooler piping, all thats going to do is increase IAT's which means more heatsoak and less power. aluminum is the way to go

Old 07-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Infinite
honestly, Itake everything squires says with a grain of salt.
oh, youre doing this, lol. I shoulda known. bring it to the v.

t4 anything is very laggy when remote mounted on anything not v8. Turbo probably has a p-trim turbine with a .96 housing or an .81 its gonna be a high rpm turbo for sure, you wont see any benefit just street driving. unless you happen to be doing 70+ on the highway.

to give you an idea, the z06 twin kit uses t3 based turbos, and thats with 3.5l of displacement per turbo. its gonna be laggy no matter what. The only way to combat that is ceramic coating and heat wrapping everything.

p.s. ditch the steel intercooler piping, all thats going to do is increase IAT's which means more heatsoak and less power. aluminum is the way to go
not sure if its a t4 turbo just that its a gt67mm. I'm wanting to get aluminum but do not have the $$$$ atm. Mainly trying to get it together so i can get some good feedback/measurements and to get a sponsor then i can get all the perty stuff

Old 07-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Forum Regular

Keep in mind that 1.6 liter twin screw makes this 3.2 flow alot more than say a when trying to size a turbo for 3.2 that wasn't. Sizing turbo''s for twin charged applications is a whole different beast. For the purpose of spooling that turbo doesn't care about displacment. Its all based off of the volume of exhaust gas entering that turbo. which when normally aspirated displacement its a huge variable for that. bleh outa time i will post more later

Old 07-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Forum Regular

Curious Eric, how much did this all run you so far?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GDrag
Curious Eric, how much did this all run you so far?
hehe... a lot... fabing everything with a friend I'm over 5k and its not complete yet.. no idea how many hr's iv put in

Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM

turbo has a t4 turbine housing on it, I can tell just by looking at the pics.

I know all about turbo sizing, its part of what I do. The one thing I would be curious to see is depending on what pressure he runs @ the turbo what it will do@ the supercharger, since technically this is sort of a compound setup. It should multiply what the supercharger outputs

Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Forum Regular

turbo has a t4 turbine housing on it, I can tell just by looking at the pics.

I know all about turbo sizing, its part of what I do. The one thing I would be curious to see is depending on what pressure he runs @ the turbo what it will do@ the supercharger, since technically this is sort of a compound setup. It should multiply what the supercharger outputs
Right when running compounding boost setups your multiplying the boost. So say your supercharger peaks at 18psi in the manifold with just the supercharger and you are feeding in 5psi from a turbo into the supercharger. Your total boost would be 28-29psi. Also keep in mind the twin screw design is mechanically limited to around 30psi on the exit side.

Can't wait to see the results once you get it all together. Good luck with the project!

14 psi feeding into the sc making 14psi at peak would be out 54 psi at the manifold... which that turbo could never produce anyways. Start out with a 5lb spring or smaller wastegate on the turbo to start off with and go from there! Happy boosting!

Last edited by ProjectMayhem; 07-18-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 AM

The issue is heat. The hot air from the turbo is getting super heated by the supercharger. I doubt the stock intercooler can handle it. That's why you need aluminum charge pipe from the turbo. Honestly another air to water intercooler between turbo and supercharger is what you need.

The IAT's are going to kill power and potentially your motor

Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Forum Regular

The issue is heat. The hot air from the turbo is getting super heated by the supercharger. I doubt the stock intercooler can handle it. That's why you need aluminum charge pipe from the turbo. Honestly another air to water intercooler between turbo and supercharger is what you need.

The IAT's are going to kill power and potentially your motor
I was looking at getting another air to water intercooler since i have the reservoir in the trunk already I can just add the extra pump i have and there we go.. but the main problem is where would i put it.. and the $$$$ also.. I'm a lil spent atm

Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 AM

dont rush it trying to get it done, you'll soon find that will cost you more in the end. take your time and do it right.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
Right when running compounding boost setups your multiplying the boost. So say your supercharger peaks at 18psi in the manifold with just the supercharger and you are feeding in 5psi from a turbo into the supercharger. Your total boost would be 28-29psi. Also keep in mind the twin screw design is mechanically limited to around 30psi on the exit side.

Can't wait to see the results once you get it all together. Good luck with the project!

14 psi feeding into the sc making 14psi at peak would be out 54 psi at the manifold... which that turbo could never produce anyways. Start out with a 5lb spring or smaller wastegate on the turbo to start off with and go from there! Happy boosting!
I was told by STS that 14 from the turbo and 14 from the supercharger would stack to 28 and from the long piping i would lose around 3psi but I have a boost controller that on high boost it will add the 3psi i would have loss to put me back at 14

Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 PM

theres no reason you should lose boost pressure from long piping... the column of air inside the pipe is pressurized the same.

if you had like, 20 ft... vertical i could see it, but not from 10-12ft of straight pipe. Thats why I said the guys at STS are mildly retarded.

We have guys that run some 15ft of intercooler piping on some setups and the only pressure drop is 1/10th of a psi across the intercooler.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Forum Regular

theres no reason you should lose boost pressure from long piping... the column of air inside the pipe is pressurized the same.

if you had like, 20 ft... vertical i could see it, but not from 10-12ft of straight pipe. Thats why I said the guys at STS are mildly retarded.

We have guys that run some 15ft of intercooler piping on some setups and the only pressure drop is 1/10th of a psi across the intercooler.
might they be talking about the bends then?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eric
I was told by STS that 14 from the turbo and 14 from the supercharger would stack to 28 and from the long piping i would lose around 3psi but I have a boost controller that on high boost it will add the 3psi i would have loss to put me back at 14
They may not realize you were using a compounding boost setup. let me explain this better. in a typical twin turbo setup you have both turbo's feeding into the intake manifold. Your simply adding boost from both turbos together. 14 psi + 14psi = 28psi.

On a compounded boost setup like the one you are building the turbo will compress the air to a desired PSI then travel to the inlet of the supercharger. The supercharger then takes what ever pressure is at the inlet and compress even further(at a rate of multiplication not addition) Think of it this way atmosphere already is at pressure naturaly and varies depending on weather and alititude.

Atmosphere at sea level is 14.7 PSI
Turbo set at 14 PSI
Supercharger w stock pulley is 14psi

First lets figure at what rate of multiplication the supercharger is producing at peak boost.

14psi from the supercharger plus atmosphere of 14.7 = 28.7 psi
So we divide 28.7 by 14.7psi(atmosphere) and we get 1.95

So now we know the supercharger will compress the air coming in at a rate of 1.95 times the inlet pressure

14 psi from the turbo plus atmospere of 14.7 = 28.7 PSI

So we take 28.7 PSI and multiply it by 1.95 to figure out what our total boost after the compound setup.

Which 28.7PSI X 1.95 = 55.97(boost+atmoshpere)

Dont forget to take atmosphere out of your total boost. So we minus that 55.97 - 14.7 = 41.27 psi at the manifold

This same calulation with a 5lb wastegate on the turbo would give you a total boost of 23.7 psi at the manifold.

Hopefully that explains how you calculate total boost on compound setups a little better.

*edited thanks Thumper*

Last edited by ProjectMayhem; 07-19-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They may not realize you were using a compounding boost setup. let me explain this better. in a typical twin turbo setup you have both turbo's feeding into the intake manifold. Your simply adding boost from both turbos together. 14 psi + 14psi = 28psi.

On a compounded boost setup like the one you are building the turbo will compress the air to a desired PSI then travel to the inlet of the supercharger. The supercharger then takes what ever pressure is at the inlet and compress even further(at a rate of multiplication not addition) Think of it this way atmosphere already is at pressure naturaly and varies depending on weather and alititude.

Turbo set at 14 PSI

First lets figure at what rate of multiplication the supercharger is producing at peak boost.

So we divide 28.7 by 14psi and we get 2.05

So now we know the supercharger will compress the air coming in at a rate of 2.05 times the inlet pressure

So we take 28.7 PSI and multiply it by 2.05 to figure out what our total boost after the compound setup.

Which 28.7PSI X 2.05 = 58.8 PSI(boost+atmoshpere)

Dont forget to take atmosphere out of your total boost. So we minus that 58.8 - 14.7 = 44.1 psi at the manifold

This same calulation with a 5lb wastegate on the turbo would give you a total boost of 25.7 psi at the manifold.

Hopefully that explains how you calculate total boost on compound setups a little better.
ill take an order of 44.1 psi please!!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:16 PM

has nothing to do with the bends, unless you have 20 of them or so..
each bend loses about 1% efficiency

Old 07-18-2010, 03:18 PM

P.S. with that adjustable FPR, with a base fuel pressure of 62, assuming its 1:1... 44 psi puts you over the operational pressure limit of most modern injectors

Old 07-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Forum Regular

Mayhem just made sts look like retards.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Turbo set at 14 PSI

So we divide 28.7 by 14psi and we get 2.05

So now we know the supercharger will compress the air coming in at a rate of 2.05 times the inlet pressure

So we take 28.7 PSI and multiply it by 2.05 to figure out what our total boost after the compound setup.

Which 28.7PSI X 2.05 = 58.8 PSI(boost+atmoshpere)

Dont forget to take atmosphere out of your total boost. So we minus that 58.8 - 14.7 = 44.1 psi at the manifold

This same calulation with a 5lb wastegate on the turbo would give you a total boost of 25.7 psi at the manifold.

Just some corrections to the math:

14PSI boost is a pressure ratio of 1.95 --> (14 + 14.7) / 14.7

So PR1 from the turbo (1.95) compounded with the PR2 of the supercharger (1.95) is 1.95*1.95 = 3.80

Boost gauge will read:
BG = (PR1*PR2 - 1)*14.7
BG = (3.80 - 1) * 14.7 = 41.16 PSIG

This equation derived from the Pressure Ratio equation, then solving for Bgauge:

PR = (Bgauge + 14.7) / 14.7
PR * 14.7 = Bgauge + 14.7
PR*14.7 - 14.7 = Bgauge
(PR - 1)*14.7 = Bgauge

Old 07-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Forum Regular

ok my head hurts now

Quick Reply: its ugly but getting there... twin-charged SRT-6!!!