Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Pulley Saver Kit

Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pulley Saver Kit

Doc, you and I think way too much alike. How much are those 185mm pulleys?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I WANT ONE! Hey Rob, email sent. You are almost single handily holding down our aftermarket, THANKS! Now make a darn torque damper already!

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 08-11-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
This isn't pointed at anyone individual either, I think between me misunderstanding what other were saying and maybe me being unclear about what I was saying caused the confusion.
Hey! Wy are my ears burning???

FYI, after hundreds (thousands?) of miles the belt shows no sign of duress from running on the ribbed side of the pulley. Even while burning up the supercharger the belt hung in there!

Bet I show up in St. Louis still running the same belt!

(unless of course it gets replaced with this set up!)
Where/when do we order???

Old 08-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok just so i understand here.If you were stock and wanted to run this kit the only other thing you would need to purchase would be the crank pulley correct?Not the whole pulley kit?Or is this gonna be sold with a crank pulley?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rob can this be used with the c3 pulley setup? i like the idea of the bracing and combining a belt wrap at the same time.
is there a benefit other than the wrap with a c3 setup?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
THREE 6S

Interested, pm sent!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Ok, so I haven't taken dynamics/mechanics in like 10 years, but this is more of a common sense question regarding this kit.

If you increase the distance between two pulley AND keep the same force/tension isn't there more slack in the belt. attached is a drawing to depict my question, if two people hold a rope, and move farther apart they must pull harder to keep the rope tight.

If I am correct with this, wouldn't this mean that even though there is more "wrap" around the pulley there is more slack/opportunity for slipping and belt hop because the gap between the pulleys has been increased.

I may be wrong, that's why I am posing the question.

Regards,
Steve

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
belt wrap question.bmp (545.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by smpshady; 08-12-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The reason it takes more effort to keep a rope tight is because of the stretch in the rope and the effects of gravity on the extra weight of the rope. As far as it affecting the belt and what would be referred to as belt lash, it would be negligible because the long section is before the SC pulley, not after it. Think of a belt-driven motorcycle and how one side is tight and the other isn't. Same thing here only with a lot more pulleys.

Belt.jpg

Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Wink Re: Pulley Saver Kit

smpshady
THe approach position of the belt allows more of the belt to wrap around the pulley. The tension side of the belt is on the right, to the left is the slack side of the belt. Greater contact to the s/c pulley gives you to have a greater contact patch to transmit torque. The effect is an unintended benefit and not a "feature" of the Pulley Saver approach. Larger idlers and longer belt to accomidate them is the deal to slow down the pace on the idler bearings, reducing heating and stess........

CLASS; CLASS; CLASS:
Now that was a good question Steven, does anyone else in the classroom have another question before we put our possessions away, while prepairing for the recess period to begins?

Huuuummmmmm, Mmmmmm O K

South park Woody

Old 08-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
smpshady
THe approach position of the belt allows more of the belt to wrap around the pulley. The tension side of the belt is on the right, to the left is the slack side of the belt. Greater contact to the s/c pulley gives you to have a greater contact patch to transmit torque. The effect is an unintended benefit and not a "feature" of the Pulley Saver approach. Larger idlers and longer belt to accomidate them is the deal to slow down the pace on the idler bearings, reducing heating and stess........

CLASS; CLASS; CLASS:
Now that was a good question Steven, does anyone else in the classroom have another question before we put our possessions away, while prepairing for the recess period to begins?

Huuuummmmmm, Mmmmmm O K

South park Woody
yes i do! will this setup have any benefit when running the c3 pulley? im still not wanting to run a crank pulley but really like all of the bennies of this setup.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
yes i do! will this setup have any benefit when running the c3 pulley? im still not wanting to run a crank pulley but really like all of the bennies of this setup.
Yes it will.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 PM

I understand the benefit of the kit (reliability, any extra performance would be bonus), I was just curious b/c belts stretch as do ropes and chains. The longer the gap, the greater the tolerance for stretch, I deal with this with cables at work. I was curious regarding where the "slack" would be, and the impact. I get the bike example, I just haven't seen it in this type of application (so many pulleys).
Regards,
steve

Old 08-12-2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
Yes it will.
so by ordering this setup will needswings be able to verify what size belt is needed?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
The benefits for a C3 pulley user would be VERY marginal. You'd get a slight amount of extra belt wrap on the SC pulley. That's about it.

Save your bucks and buy the 178mm pulley and the kit together!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

ok, kits on the site...
Product Category Listing

going thru everyone's PMs now, sorry for the delay on those

we were going to do 178$ shipped but i was having problems getting the webstore to do a set shipping rate. i instead changed it to 170+fedex. if shipping goes out of whack for anyone let me know and we can adjust it for you.

Last edited by NeedsWings; 08-13-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am seriously thinking of selling my C3 pulley and going to the 178 crank. I have only had the pulley for about a month and think it is great, expecially once I got rid of the belt slippage. I however like the numbers the 178's are pulling and the money from selling my pulley could help.... decisions, decisions

Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

here we go, 178, 185....which is going to be the best crank pulley all over again....see what you started Rob, Woody....LOL>>>>>>>decisions...we'll discuss this at Woodward this wknd for sure....

Old 08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Pulley Saver Kit

dual cai and 185 I got 354 RWHP. The new design manifolds should add to that number but I dont have access to a dyno here...have to find one.

I like the 185 cause I am doing my autocrossing and street below 4000 except in the straights or on ramps.

Woody

Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goodgenes79
I am seriously thinking of selling my C3 pulley and going to the 178 crank. I have only had the pulley for about a month and think it is great, expecially once I got rid of the belt slippage. I however like the numbers the 178's are pulling and the money from selling my pulley could help.... decisions, decisions
I doubt you will see any performance improvements.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just haven't seen all this belt slippage....no rap kit, I just keep a good belt on....guess I need a gauge to know for sure...

Quick Reply: Pulley Saver Kit